• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why doesnt CGC put out a price guide?

10 posts in this topic

I'm new here, so im sure this question has been posed a million times before, but why doesnt CGC list prices for books of certain grades? I mean I buy a lot of CGC books for a large amount of money and I feel like one day they're gonna put one out and something I paid 500 bucks for is gonna be listed as worth like 25. I dont know, doesnt seem right....feel free to argue....I'm sure you will grin.gif

I'm new here, so im sure this question has been posed a million times before, but why doesnt CGC list prices for books of certain grades? I mean I buy a lot of CGC books for a large amount of money and I feel like one day they're gonna put one out and something I paid 500 bucks for is gonna be listed as worth like 25. I dont know, doesnt seem right....feel free to argue....I'm sure you will grin.gif

If you collect moderns then buy wizard. If you collect GA and SA hang around here or subscribe to GPA.

Can you say, "Conflict of Interest?"

Timely

Conflict of interest.....how's that?

The people who grade should not have the ability to establish the price...and vice-a-versa...there would be too much oppourtunity for corruption...

The people who grade should not have the ability to establish the price...and vice-a-versa...there would be too much oppourtunity for corruption...

Back in 2000, I heard that CGC was planning to partner with Wizard in some way to get Wizard's logo on the label. I'm not sure of the specifics of that deal. Maybe it was for certified copies of those comics Wizard produces from time to time, such as the 1/2 issues; that's a total guess, I can't remember if they ever gave specifics. When CGC announced this to the back issue industry, everybody cried "conflict of interest" to an association between CGC and Wizard for the exact reason you just stated above. CGC backed off of the idea based upon that feedback.

Some people say that they're making a price guide right now with the way they're assigning their scores in the CGC registry...although I doubt they'll continue to update that, so any resemblance it bears to today's certified prices are likely to fade away as the market changes.