• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #105 cover

30 posts in this topic

lol, why do people like this have to advertise that they are doctors (both in his screen name here and in his name at CAF)? It's irrelevant and gives people further ammo when believing that medical doctors are pompous.

Nice cover though.

Why do others feel the need to make snarky remarks? It takes a lot of hardwork and many years, so if someone is proud of that accomplishment, then rock on!

Let's keep it focused on the art here and keep things friendly (thumbs u

lol, why do people like this have to advertise that they are doctors (both in his screen name here and in his name at CAF)? It's irrelevant and gives people further ammo when believing that medical doctors are pompous.

Nice cover though.

Why do others feel the need to make snarky remarks? It takes a lot of hardwork and many years, so if someone is proud of that accomplishment, then rock on!

Let's keep it focused on the art here and keep things friendly (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

[lol, why do people like this have to advertise that they are doctors (both in his screen name here and in his name at CAF)? It's irrelevant and gives people further ammo when believing that medical doctors are pompous.

Nice cover though.]

No, it is YOU that come off irrelevant and idiotic. The guy is a doctor-- what's it to YOU? You have the problem, not the doctor, nor us. Some doctors mention their professional credentials, some don't. So what?

Keep the conversation on the ART man!!

I think it's a leftover from feudal times, people feel the need to have their titles attached. At least Dr is a title you earn (unless honorary) and not born into like others. Personally, I don't care what someone's name or title is, everyone gets an automatic predetermined level of civility until they do something stupid. Respect however has to be earned regardless of titles. I've met doctors I wouldn't trust to cut my toenails and I've met dishwashers I'd trust to the ends of the earth.

All that being said, Doc V has been around for quite some time and has proven himself as an invaluable resource in this hobby. I'm not a big fan of the Dr label either but the individual in this case has earned his respect here.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

I think it's a leftover from feudal times, people feel the need to have their titles attached. At least Dr is a title you earn (unless honorary) and not born into like others. Personally, I don't care what someone's name or title is, everyone gets an automatic predetermined level of civility until they do something stupid. Respect however has to be earned regardless of titles. I've met doctors I wouldn't trust to cut my toenails and I've met dishwashers I'd trust to the ends of the earth.

All that being said, Doc V has been around for quite some time and has proven himself as an invaluable resource in this hobby. I'm not a big fan of the Dr label either but the individual in this case has earned his respect here.

Ruben

I agree 100% with everything you said. It seems like overcompensation when people are listing "MD" or "Esq" after their names on messageboards that have nothing to do with their professions. People typically don't have usernames that begin with "Engineer" if that is what they do, or list "MA" if they have Master's in something.

I dunno what the big deal is. What if he is so used to being called "Doc V" by all his friends for X number of years that he picked the name everyone calls him. Would you have a problem with "Granpa Tony" or "Pete the Fireman" etc?

People should all be proud of who they are and what they have done. I don't see this case as one of bragging.

Doc, can i just ask why you would want to be contacted privately about the asking price and not just put it on the CAF page. With so many lurkers here, surely by listing the price or stating it on the forum, you might ilicit offers from someone who otherwise would never contact you to inquire.

Gave a couple medical lectures in Vegas Thursday and Friday (seriously, only ended up with 30 minutes gambling/fun time in the 36 hours I was there!), and flew back last night. 30 minutes into takeoff, they ask for a doctor to help a patient up in First Class (meanwhile I'm back near the bathroom). Ruined my trip, but all passengers were quite happy that I took care of this elderly person so the plane didn't have to land. Spoke to the Captain at least 5 times and doctors on the ground twice, and got everyone to NYC 9PM last night.

Moral: No one cares you're a doctor until they need you.

Hari

Gave a couple medical lectures in Vegas Thursday and Friday (seriously, only ended up with 30 minutes gambling/fun time in the 36 hours I was there!), and flew back last night. 30 minutes into takeoff, they ask for a doctor to help a patient up in First Class (meanwhile I'm back near the bathroom). Ruined my trip, but all passengers were quite happy that I took care of this elderly person so the plane didn't have to land. Spoke to the Captain at least 5 times and doctors on the ground twice, and get everyone to NYC 9PM last night.

Nowhere on my ticket did it say Dr., but everyone was sure as Hell happy I was on board. Moral: No one cares you're a doctor until they need you. So, how's about a little respect for the years we spend training, the mandate to take care of people even when on vacation/traveling, and the fact that we make tons less money than anyone else with advanced degees (law, business).

End of Rant. With the ordeal I had yesterday, this was the wrong day for me to see this thread.

Dr. Hari, MD, FACC, FSCAI, FAHA, FCCP

I agree....you didn't spend 6 years in Evil Medical school to be called "Mr."

dr-evil.jpg

Seriously though, most of the time, people who deride people called Dr. or Lawyers being called Esq. or "counselor" are folks who have no clue how difficult the climb to get to that title is, or how much of an investment of time and resources it takes for that achievement.

The only serious problem I have with your post if that you were flying coach. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Best,

Chris

If you went to medical school or law school it is your choice and I know you are all well compensated for it. If you're talking about having your title on the door of your office, that's your decision and your right. To expect people that don't know you to automatically want to call you Dr or Counselor does seem pompous. Your titles should be used within their fields, outside of your fields, you're a schmuck just like the rest of us and no additional respect needs to be attributed to you unless you EARN it from that individual.

I know a lot of dill-holes that are doctors and a lot of greedy ambulance chasers that are lawyers. Just because YOU might know you aren't one doesn't mean the rest of the world does because of a couple of letters attached to your name.

Now, how about conductors? Do you call them Maestro when you address them? Are you going to call a Karate instructor Sensai or Master? If you happen to run into Paul McCartney are you going to call him Sir Paul? They all worked very hard to attain their position and some of them a lot harder than a lot of doctors and lawyers I know. Anyone that's achieved any level of accomplishment within thier profession deserves the respect of the people they work with. To demand it from people you don't know and aren't in your field is the definition of pompous.

BTW, I know both Hari and Chris personally, Hari especially. They have both proven themselves courteous, professional, respectful and knowledgeable about both their chosen professions and this hobby. This isn't about them, it's about expecting people you don't know to automatically honor your title outside of your profession. My comments should be taken in that context only.

Ruben - Senior Program Analyst, VP, dumb-@ss collector.

BTW, on another thread I had said I was going to stop posting and both Hari and Chris asked that I stay and continue to contribute. I don't think they knew just how opinionated I actually am and that I don't mind voicing my opinion especially when it's not the popular one. Are you guys sure you still want me sticking around? If I'm posting, it's usually to stir up some... well, not spoon but you know what it is. Not just for controversy's sake, only when I really feel that way.

I agree with your logic 100% (hopefully to no one's offense) although to bring it full circle here, the guy just had the title in his username. If your username was "ProgramAnalyst" surely no one would give a spoon. If my username was "taxguy" no one would give a spoon. In fact I think there is a "taxguy" username already on these boards! No one should give a spoon about a username that incorporates a title from any profession and this is all much ado about nothing IMO

Hari, as for your point about respect, I'm sure everyone respects the hard work involved. They don't let in any dummies and having dated someone all through her med school years and having a front row seat to work involved, I can honestly say I couldn't do it. Studying til 3 in the morning every_single_night and functioning every day on 4 hours sleep would have killed me. Not to mention the 24 hr shifts at the hospital which in my opinion shouldn't even be legal (there's no way you can be operating near 100% after pulling an all nighter and who wants advice from a dead tired doctor?)