• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking of Driving to Heritage Auctions next month!!!

20 posts in this topic

So's I'm thinking of driving to Heritage auctions next month to pick up my books in person.

May not sound like much to some, but I live in Canada :insane:.

What has spurred this idea...how about a $600 shipping quote to send my stuff. :screwy:

I think I blew a gasket when I read that.

I have four small boxes, and 3 art sized ones. So I told them that can't be right I could drive there and pick it up for cheaper.

You know what customer service told me..."okay I'll see you when you get here."

Probably the rudest thing someone has said to me in years!!! Anyhow after looking everything up, it turns out I could fly there for about $150, rent a car with drop fee $250 and gas $150, so I can actually do it cheaper!!!

I'm actually thinking of doing it, but there would be the time waste of two days of course. So I'm putting the question out there....would anyone be interested in my picking up their items for half their cost? I can drive up through Detroit or Buffalo from Texas and if you're along the way I can drop them off. I live right near Toronto, for anyone nearby too.

I'm hoping I can pick up half dozen people's book and defray my costs by like half.

Thoughts???

Anyone interested PM.

If it is all about the cost, picking up in person could mean paying sales tax. Check first and factor that in.

Might be cheaper to get a mail box on the other side of the border and ship there and drive down to pick it up.

Chhhhrrrriiiiisssssss....just go down buddy. You could do with the break. Moe tells me your in Hamilton now? Drive down, see the US, have a beer, find a woman, then collect your comics...the perfect couple of days for a 'comicnut'!

Heck, with no sales tax and it saving only $75 to ship in US, ROADTRIP!!!

Cool way to go, nice time of year and now matter what goes wrong, you end up with a trunk fool of cool stuff. Oh, and you won't be in Canada.

hey Chris, if you do decide to drive down lemme know and perhaps i could offset some of your costs...i have this friend who lives down there...lets call him Carlos (because thats his name)...now Carlos needs to send to Toronto some, er, medical supplies, about 5 kilos of medical supplies to be exact up to his cousin, also called Carlos. he'll pay you by the kilo and he pays well. think about it.

...and lemme know when your free for a Timmies!!!

hey Chris, if you do decide to drive down lemme know and perhaps i could offset some of your costs...i have this friend who lives down there...lets call him Carlos (because thats his name)...now Carlos needs to send to Toronto some, er, medical supplies, about 5 kilos of medical supplies to be exact up to his cousin, also called Carlos. he'll pay you by the kilo and he pays well. think about it.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

What are you waiting for? Sounds like a great deal. You get someone to sit shotgun, talk to you the whole ride - nonstop and no sleep needed!

So's I'm thinking of driving to Heritage auctions next month to pick up my books in person.

May not sound like much to some, but I live in Canada :insane:.

What has spurred this idea...how about a $600 shipping quote to send my stuff. :screwy:

I think I blew a gasket when I read that.

I have four small boxes, and 3 art sized ones. So I told them that can't be right I could drive there and pick it up for cheaper.

You know what customer service told me..."okay I'll see you when you get here."

Probably the rudest thing someone has said to me in years!!! Anyhow after looking everything up, it turns out I could fly there for about $150, rent a car with drop fee $250 and gas $150, so I can actually do it cheaper!!!

I'm actually thinking of doing it, but there would be the time waste of two days of course. So I'm putting the question out there....would anyone be interested in my picking up their items for half their cost? I can drive up through Detroit or Buffalo and if you're along the way I can drop them off. I live right near Toronto, for anyone nearby too.

I'm hoping I can pick up half dozen people's book and defray my costs by like half.

Thoughts???

Anyone interested PM.

Pick up other peoples shipments? Will they let you do that?

I applaud your spirit and I agree, make it a road trip to remember.

lol, thanks for the responses so far everyone.

That's right I forgot about the customs and GST on the comics too, so the $600 actually becomes more like $800.

They do let you pick up other people's shipments.

I've had some other people pick up mine before, you just need to send them a release form.

Not really looking to make a road trip of it, after being overseas for a year. Unless someone else wanted to go, then that would be more fun.

Roy...Paul... anyone else???

The distance is only about 2000 km's. I've done that myself before in less than 24 hours, us army guys don't need sleep, :insane: With a wingman it would be even shorter.

Are you sure you won't have to pay sales tax?

The reason I ask is because I picked up my winnings in person from an auction last year and I had to pay tax. I live in Oklahoma so I am not a Texas resident. I asked and was told that Texas law requires they charge tax if you accept the goods within the state.

Not sure if that was true but HA did require the sales tax.

Yes, and my stuff is long paid for. It was all the stuff I bought while in the Sandbox. Kind of like my little happy place, ya know, buy some comics to make you feel better, lol ... some people it's chocolate, some eating, me buying comics! Even if I couldn't see them for awhile.