• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet vs. ComicPriceGuide.com

80 posts in this topic

When determining the value of your personal collection or purchasing new books, which Guide is more accurate with their pricing and why? Overstreet or Comicpriceguide.com? I thought i'd shoot this question out to all the great folks here on the boards. I appreciate your input and opinions.

The search feature will do you wonders.

Most people on here don't hold CPG.com in too high regard.

Don't pay attention to their "CGC" prices either.

go to www.gpanalysis.com and join if you want to see those.

Worth every penny if you frequently purchase anything over $100

When determining the value of your personal collection or purchasing new books, which Guide is more accurate with their pricing and why? Overstreet or Comicpriceguide.com? I thought i'd shoot this question out to all the great folks here on the boards. I appreciate your input and opinions.

Neither.

Overstreet stopped being an accurate guide about 1990, and both Wizard and CPG clearly took the bulk of their "prices" from the OPG.

What has resulted is a lot of wishful thinking on the part of people who like to have something to justify the overblown prices they charge.

Obviously, OPG covers nothing above 9.2, is woefully overpriced for about 85% of everything it lists, and woefully underpriced on the rest.

Try and get $58 for a VF Rip Hunter #15, just try.

Or $60 for a NM- New Gods #2.

Or $125 for a NM- Spidey #300.

Or...even better...try and find a VF copy of GI Combat #87 for $553. If you do, I'll pay you double for it.

Or, a "NM" copy of Rawhide Kid #17, for $585. I'll pay you $1500 for one.

So, no, neither guide is worth much at face.value They no more report actual sales of books than the Weekly World News printed actual stories.

OPG, however, has a lot of other usefulness, especially when considered as a "Wish List" for retailers. One can usually cut whatever price by 1/2 to 2/3, and arrive at an accurate amount for which the book in question usually sells.

Here's a perfect example of the accuracy of both. Check the price for All-Negro Comics #1. $1100 in Good. I don't remember the last time this sold for under 2X guide in any given year. Yet Overstreet refuses to mark up the price on this and other similiar books. rantrant

My vote for GPA!

How about registry points. Are they close to accurate in any meaningful way?

Not in any way whatsoever.

What Michael said. I've had plenty of books that have awarded more than 1 point per $, other books have been awarded a fraction of a point per $. Never use registry points as a way of pricing books.

How about registry points. Are they close to accurate in any meaningful way?

Not in any way whatsoever.

What Michael said. I've had plenty of books that have awarded more than 1 point per $, other books have been awarded a fraction of a point per $. Never use registry points as a way of pricing books.

What those guys said. The rarest, and one of the more expensive, book in my collection is only worth about 3 points on the registry. :grin:

So what should raw buyers use as a guide? Personally, I go to CGP and Atomic Avenue to see what sellers are getting for a certain issue. I recently had a craigslist seller wanting to charge just over guide for G. I quoted guide prices and told them I will only be willing to pay half for them in that condition. He told me I was a HG collector and had some better issues for me :insane:

The rarest, and one of the more expensive, book in my collection is only worth about 3 points on the registry. :grin:

Your 9.9 Youngblood #1? :shy: