• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official EMINEM Thread

51 posts in this topic

I wouldn't agree with your list except Rakim and Chuck D. And your new school list? Give me a break..those aren't even lyricists. Dre may be overrated (I'm not saying he's a good rapper), but he IS one of the most musically gifted people I've ever seen..he can MAKE a beat and is an A+ producer. DMX occasionally comes with some good tracks but a lot of the times falls off. His last CD was . Eminem has not impressed me until late, but I think he's certainly benefiting from Dre's knowledge. He does have major major potential though. Busta just talks fast, you might as well put Bone Thugs here instead. My top 5

1. Rakim

2. Chuck D

3. Canibus (the BEST battle rapper of all-time)

4. KRS-ONE (I personally don't like his stuff, but I can appreciate the talent)

5. De La Soul (as a whole, they suck by themselves, have to play off each other)

H.M. Curtis Blow, Treach, and MAYBE Q-tip he needs to prove himself.

New School

1. Shaheed (best freestyler I have ever heard)

2. Freeway (great vocab use, can go fast or slow and stay with the beat)

3. Nas (has shown potential on his last couple discs, needs to stop biting off other people's stuff though)

Brian

We will have to agree to disagree on the new school stuff, I guess.

We pretty much agree on the old school. KRS One was definately oneof a kind - I don't really like him, either, but I respect what he did. One guy who battled real tough was Shinehead. I don't know if you ever heard of him - he was a sort of predecessor to Shabba ranks in that he was more of a dance-hall type rapper, but he had skills.

Cannibus? I don't know that he belongs with the likes of Rakim, Chuck D and DeLa......

Two more New school guys to round out my top 5 - OutKast and Mystikal. Both with a very unique sound - not sure what's up with the k's - must be wyld style.

I see Busta as the forerunner to those guys. Busta is great because(with the exception of some of his newer stuff) he really has a unique vocal styling, and creates stuff totally different to anything else out there. Now that hip-hop has been around a while, I think innovation is really important.

You're right in your assessment of the New School. The New School/Mainstream hip hop scene has been absolute since about 1996. I've been a hip hop fan since 1987 and I grew up with PE, NWA, Eric B and Rakim, Ice-T, Ice Cube, etc... However, for about the past three years, the underground/independent movement has produced some of the best hip hop ever. If you get the chance, download or buy (in no particular order):

1.) Non-Phixion: "The Future Is Now" (2002). Best album of 2002. Who said white boys can't rap? Tight beats and excellent production (Premier, Large Pro, Pete Rock, Necro) make for a great album.

2.) Jedi Mind Tricks: "Violent By Design" (2000). Mind-Blowing! One of the most hardcore, hard-hitting albums of all-time. You simply will not get better samples or production on an album. On a sidenote, DJ Stoupe will be producing the new Canibus album. Watch for it in the coming year.

3.) All Natural: "Second Nature" (2001). One of my personal favourites. Incredible MC'ing with the beats to match.

There are many, many more underground artists who blow the mainstream away. Underground hip hop is pure because the artists don't make the big money. If you want an independent mix cd, PM me, and I will burn one for you.

Outkast are barely considered lyricists, at best. Sorry, but IMO...Mystikal is . If Big L wasn't dead, he'd certainly be on my list of new school. Canibus is THE battle rapper, you ask anyone in any underground hip hop club (not these BS writers for the mags) who one of the best current lyricist are and they will undoubtedly say Canibus. If you ever get the chance to see him, you'll know, his vocabulary is uncanny and his ability to use it, even more so. BTW, the title of this is lyricists..I think you're moving a bit away from that subject.

As for TKG, I've heard Jedi Mind Tricks stuff and didn't really like it..it seemed a little Jurassic 5ish.

Brian

As for TKG, I've heard Jedi Mind Tricks stuff and didn't really like it..it seemed a little Jurassic 5ish.

Actually murph0, JMT sound nothing like J5. J5 have more of a clean, old school approach. On the other hand, JMT are hardcore and hard-hitting. Both are good in their own unique way. As for some good underground lyricists, here are a few off the top of my head: MC Juice (Freestyle King), Capital D (from All Natural), J-Live (underground legend), Iomos Marad (incredible flow), Grand Agent (up and comer).