• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mass Hysteria

180 posts in this topic

Entire PM

While I think that early SA can make gains on GA due to a larger demographic of collectors, these folks that are emotionally attached to the SA and think that these enormous prices realized here and there for some top census copies are foolishly optimistic about the sustainable strength of these values.. I understand to an extent, we all want the funny books that we love so much to be worth a fortune as a whole (not just our own personal copies), we all want the hobby to be strong and compete with any other high end collectible market out there.

However, I think all the signs are there for a bust. Many books are falsely inflated. I also think the "deep pocket boys" will become bored after a while, or atleast get what they want and have little influence on the values at that point.

And, of course, the most beautiful princess in the world...

Who absolutely stole my 9 year old heart when she got married, and about whom I cherished secret fantasies that one day she would leave Charles and marry me....

...(come on, be nice...I was a kid with a crush)...

princess%20diana.jpg

It's amazing how much hold she has over me to this day...I still get a little choked up thinking about it....

Entire PM

While I think that early SA can make gains on GA due to a larger demographic of collectors, these folks that are emotionally attached to the SA and think that these enormous prices realized here and there for some top census copies are foolishly optimistic about the sustainable strength of these values.. I understand to an extent, we all want the funny books that we love so much to be worth a fortune as a whole (not just our own personal copies), we all want the hobby to be strong and compete with any other high end collectible market out there.

However, I think all the signs are there for a bust. Many books are falsely inflated. I also think the "deep pocket boys" will become bored after a while, or atleast get what they want and have little influence on the values at that point.

Is this some kind of new game?

Guess the Mystery Bad Arse Friend??

Entire PM

Bill,

What is your point? Here is a response to a question about a Silver Age crash from poster "clobberintime" from August of 2004:

"Not sure that it will be a crash but I expect a major correction anytime now. Things have been skyrocketing for about a year now and nothing goes up forever. Besides - look at the census. Right now, Spidey due to the movie is the hottest thing going. There are 20 issues graded in the 9.0 or better slot for #1, 32 issues 9.0 or better for #3, 23 issues for the very "rare" #11, and 85 issues for #14! Now a 9.0 #1 goes for over $20,000 - how many folks are in this for the long haul rgularly buying comics costing over $2000 a piece? I think supply, demand , and nutty pricing are about to have a train wreck. And I still have a huge collection and am still buying good books - like that FF 53 9.4 from you - but I think it would be wise to be conservative. I see a lot of Spidey 14 9.4s around for instance being offered at $8000 to $10,000 - but I don't see a lot of takers. CGC has only been around like 4 years now and there are far more high grade issues around than I believed there were. So unless you have the money to blow or unless the hobby is really expanding to bring the true believers, I would be careful."

Entire PM

Bill,

What is your point? Here is a response to a question about a Silver Age crash from poster "clobberintime" from August of 2004:

"Not sure that it will be a crash but I expect a major correction anytime now. Things have been skyrocketing for about a year now and nothing goes up forever. Besides - look at the census. Right now, Spidey due to the movie is the hottest thing going. There are 20 issues graded in the 9.0 or better slot for #1, 32 issues 9.0 or better for #3, 23 issues for the very "rare" #11, and 85 issues for #14! Now a 9.0 #1 goes for over $20,000 - how many folks are in this for the long haul rgularly buying comics costing over $2000 a piece? I think supply, demand , and nutty pricing are about to have a train wreck. And I still have a huge collection and am still buying good books - like that FF 53 9.4 from you - but I think it would be wise to be conservative. I see a lot of Spidey 14 9.4s around for instance being offered at $8000 to $10,000 - but I don't see a lot of takers. CGC has only been around like 4 years now and there are far more high grade issues around than I believed there were. So unless you have the money to blow or unless the hobby is really expanding to bring the true believers, I would be careful."

My point is to showcase my BAF's sharp observation; stimulate conversation bout it like this sweet post of yours; demonstrate my shared suspicion that this all might be make believe demand; & concede that boredom (distraction as I call it) might weigh heavy on us all one day.

After that, I wanted to see some really hot chicks.

(Subterfuge for ) chicks :popcorn:

My point is to showcase my BAF's sharp observation; stimulate conversation bout it like this sweet post of yours; demonstrate my shared suspicion that this all might be make believe demand; & concede that boredom (distraction as I call it) might weigh heavy on us all one day.

(Subterfuge for ) chicks :popcorn:

OK, cool. More Shakira, please. :popcorn:

demonstrate my shared suspicion that this all might be make believe demand; & concede that boredom (distraction as I call it) might weigh heavy on us all one day.

I don't know what I missed but I'm in total agreement...

Total agreement here too... (thumbs u

Jim