• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boardies! Urgent Help Needed - Customs Charges

180 posts in this topic

Now does this happen when someone sends from UK to USA ? I have been thinking about selling and buying stuff from the UK but wouldn`t want someone to get hit with a huge custom charge like this or was the $44.50 not the norm?

I don't think our government can charge parcels being sent out, I bet they wish they could, no idea what import duties are like in the US

I live in Boston, I am trying to find out if I sold something to the UK are the custom charges always that high? thanks for any info in advance :)

It is on, the wife's hoovering though that's probably why I didn't hear it. I'll call you back if you like mate (thumbs u

hm:o

Since we’ve been married, my wife doesn’t do as much hoovering as she used to…

Regarding duties, I’ve bought numerous items from England and have never had customs or duty issues. I’ve also shipped all over internationally and never had any issues.

It is on, the wife's hoovering though that's probably why I didn't hear it. I'll call you back if you like mate (thumbs u

Is that English for Vacuuming the floor or is it really just the wife standing over you?

When it comes to those crazy Brits...it's open for interpretation... lol

Regarding duties, I’ve bought numerous items from England and have never had customs or duty issues. I’ve also shipped all over internationally and never had any issues.

My last 5 packages have all been stopped by customs :frustrated:

Now we also don't have to pay import duty on books, but "comic books" isn't recognized as being a legitimate item so the tax + duty comes to a whopping 32%. So for every $1000 comic I buy I would have to pay an extra $320.

Years ago I had a very long phone call with the customs bureau and they told me to simply have the packages labeled as "magazines" or books but not as "comic books" and be sure that the value on the customs declaration + the postage paid doesn't go over $50.00 and the books should sail through...

Well they did for years...not a single hitch.

But for the past few months every single box I have gotten was stopped by customs and opened. Once they opened the box, saw that they were indeed comics they closed it again and flagged the boxes through without imposing any tax or import duty...except they get to charge $15.00 for every box they check, even if the content turns out to be valid...

So that's 5 times now I've had the pleasure of paying $15.00 for the service of having my boxes opened...and I'm expecting two more in the mail doh!

Is that English for Vacuuming the floor or is it really just the wife standing over you?

that would be hovering :makepoint:

Now does this happen when someone sends from UK to USA ? I have been thinking about selling and buying stuff from the UK but wouldn`t want someone to get hit with a huge custom charge like this or was the $44.50 not the norm?

I don't think our government can charge parcels being sent out, I bet they wish they could, no idea what import duties are like in the US

I live in Boston, I am trying to find out if I sold something to the UK are the custom charges always that high? thanks for any info in advance :)

This has never happened to me before. Mark all of your customs forms as printed matter or comics and no charges will be applied at all (thumbs u

It doesn't really matter, both are loud enough to stop me hearing my phone meh

I hope it all works out. However, why is your wife not "Dysoning"? :)

My last 5 packages have all been stopped by customs :frustrated:

Now we also don't have to pay import duty on books, but "comic books" isn't recognized as being a legitimate item so the tax + duty comes to a whopping 32%. So for every $1000 comic I buy I would have to pay an extra $320.

Years ago I had a very long phone call with the customs bureau and they told me to simply have the packages labeled as "magazines" or books but not as "comic books" and be sure that the value on the customs declaration + the postage paid doesn't go over $50.00 and the books should sail through...

Well they did for years...not a single hitch.

But for the past few months every single box I have gotten was stopped by customs and opened. Once they opened the box, saw that they were indeed comics they closed it again and flagged the boxes through without imposing any tax or import duty...except they get to charge $15.00 for every box they check, even if the content turns out to be valid...

So that's 5 times now I've had the pleasure of paying $15.00 for the service of having my boxes opened...and I'm expecting two more in the mail doh!

Looks like goverments all over the world are broke and are getting desperate for funds. hm

Hoovering has more than one meaning in the USA I take it that there, it means to vacuum only?

Russ, haven't you got any advice to give to Gav regarding shipping and the suchlike? (shrug)

Oh, wait a minute... doh!

Hoovering has more than one meaning in the USA I take it that there, it means to vacuum only?

Russ, haven't you got any advice to give to Gav regarding shipping and the suchlike? (shrug)

:signfunny:

lol:applause:(worship)