• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
54 54

499 posts in this topic

I just purchased 50 pack of E. Gerber 700FB from eBay.  I noticed only one side is white and the other is brown. Is this new for them to cut costs or a manufacture defect?  All others I have are white on both sides.  Product numbers seem to match up with what I received in the past.  I’ll email E. Gerber tomorrow to see what they say.  Here is side by side of old and new. 

EE73AE0A-2F54-4C4E-A01A-A2AB06131E4B.jpeg

7003AD58-343B-465F-BC18-6E55EA516D44.jpeg

On 9/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, icp004 said:

I just purchased 50 pack of E. Gerber 700FB from eBay.  I noticed only one side is white and the other is brown. Is this new for them to cut costs or a manufacture defect?  All others I have are white on both sides.  Product numbers seem to match up with what I received in the past.  I’ll email E. Gerber tomorrow to see what they say.  Here is side by side of old and new. 

EE73AE0A-2F54-4C4E-A01A-A2AB06131E4B.jpeg

7003AD58-343B-465F-BC18-6E55EA516D44.jpeg

It's happened this far back, so here is the thread, went in for a couple of pages.

I posted this elsewhere, but am hoping that a post here may get a bit more traction so apologies for redundancy.

I am noting that there are no venders/dealers who carry 4 mil mylar sleeves in silver or gold or super-gold size any longer. I've scoured ebay and Amazon as well as internet websites of typical dealers. And when I go into my LCSs, they say that 4 mil isn't being carried by distributors anymore. Like maybe the companies that typically sell these have decided that 4 mil archives/mylar sleeves are no longer of interest to anybody?? Are we witnessing the extinction of 4 mil mylar?  I've been double bagging my comics for 35 years upside down in a mylite (originally only in 1 mil, but later in 2 mil) and then right side up in a 4 mil mylar archival/sleeve at the next largest width from the interior mylite.

Anybody have any recommendations for me regarding where to find 4 mil mylar sleeves in silver, gold, or super-gold size?

On 12/31/2022 at 11:34 AM, cbalroman said:

Have you tried E Gerber directly?  

I tried a couple months ago and it wasn't functioning. Or maybe I'm conflating that with Bill Cole?? I don't know. . . Was E Gerber up and running this whole time? 
Hey, regardless, problem solved! I really appreciate your referral. Thanks so much, Cbalroman!

On 12/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, comick1 said:

I posted this elsewhere, but am hoping that a post here may get a bit more traction so apologies for redundancy.

I am noting that there are no venders/dealers who carry 4 mil mylar sleeves in silver or gold or super-gold size any longer. I've scoured ebay and Amazon as well as internet websites of typical dealers. And when I go into my LCSs, they say that 4 mil isn't being carried by distributors anymore. Like maybe the companies that typically sell these have decided that 4 mil archives/mylar sleeves are no longer of interest to anybody?? Are we witnessing the extinction of 4 mil mylar?  I've been double bagging my comics for 35 years upside down in a mylite (originally only in 1 mil, but later in 2 mil) and then right side up in a 4 mil mylar archival/sleeve at the next largest width from the interior mylite.

Anybody have any recommendations for me regarding where to find 4 mil mylar sleeves in silver, gold, or super-gold size?

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_archives.htm

You'll need to call them directly but I just picked up 200 of the 775R (7 3/4 x 10 1/2 Silver/Golden Comics - 1950's-70's) recently. The turn around time was about 8 weeks for my order.

I'm not a fan of the one side coated boards from E. Gerber so I switched to the 56 point boards from Comic Pro Line.  Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, the Comic Pro Line mylar bags tend to easily split along the sides so I prefer the mylar bags from E. Gerber.

Since I don't have a lot of GA books (the horror) - I've started to use the following combination:

E. Gerber 725M2 Mylites2 (7 1/4 x 10 1/2)

Comic Pro Line Silver 56 point boards (7 1/4 x 10 1/2)

I've found this combination (E. Gerber bag and Comic Pro board), is not as snug as just using the bag and board from Comic Pro line.  Also, for those that care, the flaps on the Comic Pro line bags are larger.

Bagsizedifference.thumb.jpg.6544438462232885f7af2880c502bff9.jpg

Beautiful! Hard to see the bag but who cares.

Finalpic.thumb.jpg.a48706d68d9cc9a7fe4af8f034b0bf6b.jpg

Since the thread has been resurrected. I’ve been seeing people framing books in Mylar then in cheap ikea frames. Anyone see any potential issues doing this. Like the frames and glass aren’t touching the books it’s touching the Mylar or the matting. Besides heating and cooling of the glass what are ur thoughts…

On 9/21/2023 at 11:30 PM, Krismusic said:

Since the thread has been resurrected. I’ve been seeing people framing books in Mylar then in cheap ikea frames. Anyone see any potential issues doing this. Like the frames and glass aren’t touching the books it’s touching the Mylar or the matting. Besides heating and cooling of the glass what are ur thoughts…

No issues so long as they don't display them in direct or indirect sunlight unless the glass in the frames is UV protected  color fade is the only concern. Maybe also crimping or smooshing the spine if the frames and backing are too tight.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:43 AM, Bart Allen said:

Damn, those links are rather dead :(

Had to use Wayback Machine :3

Thought this was a Peabody and Sherman reference until I looked it up. Thank you!

It's nice to see those pics can still be viewed.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:49 AM, jas1vans said:

Thought this was a Peabody and Sherman reference until I looked it up.

Well, indirectly it probably is.

On 2/19/2024 at 2:01 PM, Blindeagle said:

Anyone have the pics? i guess because its so old - the links for the pics are gone :(

Google, "wayback machine". Copy and paste the address from the first page of the thread.

It will say, "Saved 3 times between December 20, 2021 and October 20, 2022." Double click on December 20, 2021 and it should take you right to the first page.

Bringing back to life just to see if people are still fans of the double bag system? Would it be better to just use a fullback and a 4 mil bag? Is the mylite 2 with paper inside a 4mil with a full back still the ultimate way to go with money being no issue?

So I ordered some of the thickest boards available from Bags Unlimited, I'm pretty sure they are the same ones that E. Gerber used to offer. Also easier to order and they came quite fast, they're also the only company that offers bags and boards for Mini Comics.

They're also double sided white like the old ones, I plan to order some others of other sizes to confirm. Between those and Evo Retros bags, it's a good combo for my regular books and mylars for my older books.