• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
54 54

499 posts in this topic

Hi! Guess this post is a bump and a question :)

I've read through the whole thread, looking for some talk about storing two comics in one bag. I'm considering putting one comic on either side of each board, spines reversed. Is this always a bad idea, when using Mylite 2 bags (725M2) with Fullbacks (700FB)? I'm looking to re-bag and board around 1000 modern age comics, and it would be great if I could save space and money by double-booking each bag. I've only ever used standard 24pt backing boards, so I have zero experience with the thicker FBs and mylar bags.

I realize most people go for the Gerber 725M2/700FB combo for modern books - for those that have experience with this combo, is there much "loose" plastic on the rear of the bag, when storing one book per bag? Is there enough room for an extra book in there? Despite people liking the 725/700 combo, I've always been partial to trying the 700M2/675FB route for moderns is cause, well, I like a tight fit... :banana:
And for some reason, I also prefer the aesthetic of 700/675 over 725/700. But is this really that bad of an idea? I definitely don't want the books sliding around in the bags, and I'm also looking to avoid having excess bag material on the backside. I currently have my modern age books in Current Age poly bags with Current Age 24pt boards, and though it's a snug fit, it doesn't seem *too* tight. And, it does seem like there is enough backing board covering the entirety of the rear of the comics... but I'm open to new ideas, as I'm relatively new at this stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you kindly!

On 7/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, Ashii said:

Hi! Guess this post is a bump and a question :)

I've read through the whole thread, looking for some talk about storing two comics in one bag. I'm considering putting one comic on either side of each board, spines reversed. Is this always a bad idea, when using Mylite 2 bags (725M2) with Fullbacks (700FB)? I'm looking to re-bag and board around 1000 modern age comics, and it would be great if I could save space and money by double-booking each bag. I've only ever used standard 24pt backing boards, so I have zero experience with the thicker FBs and mylar bags.

I realize most people go for the Gerber 725M2/700FB combo for modern books - for those that have experience with this combo, is there much "loose" plastic on the rear of the bag, when storing one book per bag? Is there enough room for an extra book in there? Despite people liking the 725/700 combo, I've always been partial to trying the 700M2/675FB route for moderns is cause, well, I like a tight fit... :banana:
And for some reason, I also prefer the aesthetic of 700/675 over 725/700. But is this really that bad of an idea? I definitely don't want the books sliding around in the bags, and I'm also looking to avoid having excess bag material on the backside. I currently have my modern age books in Current Age poly bags with Current Age 24pt boards, and though it's a snug fit, it doesn't seem *too* tight. And, it does seem like there is enough backing board covering the entirety of the rear of the comics... but I'm open to new ideas, as I'm relatively new at this stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you kindly!

Standard is what everyone uses.  You want a little bit of clearance around the edges of the book so if there's a bump, the board takes it, and not the book.

Curious... does anyone use halfbacks and mylites for their cheapie/modern books?  I'm on the fence, but I really don't like the crinkle of a mylite.  If I like the series, it's getting a fullback and mylite2 no matter what it's worth.

16 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Standard is what everyone uses.  You want a little bit of clearance around the edges of the book so if there's a bump, the board takes it, and not the book.

Curious... does anyone use halfbacks and mylites for their cheapie/modern books?  I'm on the fence, but I really don't like the crinkle of a mylite.  If I like the series, it's getting a fullback and mylite2 no matter what it's worth.

I usually go with a fullback and a mylite2 for just about all my comics.  Some just get a polypropylene bag and regular comic board.  I'm thinking of switching back to a 4mil Mylar (open top) and half-backs though. I think they just look better to me.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

I usually go with a fullback and a mylite2 for just about all my comics.  Some just get a polypropylene bag and regular comic board.  I'm thinking of switching back to a 4mil Mylar (open top) and half-backs though. I think they just look better to me.

Do you like to go with the size smaller bags inside the 4mil Mylar, or just the 4mil Mylar?

21 hours ago, Skynwalker said:

Do you like to go with the size smaller bags inside the 4mil Mylar, or just the 4mil Mylar?

:hi:  I just go with a 4mil Mylar and either a half-back or even a Full back (makes the comic snug in it)...For now I'm still using Fullback with a mylites2.. I think I'm going to switch back to the 4mil mylar here pretty soon.  Thanks for asking

On 7/28/2019 at 8:51 PM, FineCollector said:

I've tried using mylites, but they just feel too flimsy for me. I still do the Mylites2 + half-back combo for all my cheaper modern books.

37 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

:hi:  I just go with a 4mil Mylar and either a half-back or even a Full back (makes the comic snug in it)...For now I'm still using Fullback with a mylites2.. I think I'm going to switch back to the 4mil mylar here pretty soon.  Thanks for asking

Thank you!  Where do you usually get your bags and boards?

Thanks for the reply! If anyone else is able to chime in on the couple other questions from before, would be awesome. Looking to place an order at some point soon.

1) With the 725/700 Mylite 2/Fullback combo, when storing one comic per bag, is there much excess bag flopping around on the backside?

2) With the 725/700 combo above, and in general, is it bad to store two comics per bag/board? I can't imagine it being an issue, but not sure if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!

On 7/30/2019 at 4:25 PM, Ashii said:

Thanks for the reply! If anyone else is able to chime in on the couple other questions from before, would be awesome. Looking to place an order at some point soon.

1) With the 725/700 Mylite 2/Fullback combo, when storing one comic per bag, is there much excess bag flopping around on the backside?

2) With the 725/700 combo above, and in general, is it bad to store two comics per bag/board? I can't imagine it being an issue, but not sure if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!

Sorry, I just read your questions today and see that nobody’s chimed in yet.

I just tried this, and it seems to work as well as it does with any regular comic bag.  This is obviously better than using a regular backing board that is only “spray-buffered” on one side.  This is a 725 Mylite2 with a 700 Half-Back.

It should work well for modern books if you’re that strapped for space. Good luck!

83D1EB20-673F-44C9-B954-122E0D85F26A.jpeg

F48DDDCC-BB03-4D77-B994-72D2C3FADF77.jpeg

Edited by Gonzimodo

As for storing two comics per bag, I doubt there’s really any harm. I know people who have done it and they haven’t had any problems as far as I know.

The only thing I can think of is that with normal boards, you have the comic backed up against the non-“buffered” side, which could be an issue. You won’t have that problem with proper, archival-quality boards, though.

Anybody else have experience with this?

I usually doubled ‘em up like that when I sold lots on eBay to cut down on space and weight, and I’ve never had anyone complain. They seem to stack better that way for packing, since you have covers facing each other and the spines are on alternating sides. Hopefully I wasn’t committing Crimes Against Comics. (shrug)

26 minutes ago, Gonzimodo said:

As for storing two comics per bag, I doubt there’s really any harm. I know people who have done it and they haven’t had any problems as far as I know.

The only thing I can think of is that with normal boards, you have the comic backed up against the non-“buffered” side, which could be an issue. You won’t have that problem with proper, archival-quality boards, though.

Anybody else have experience with this?

I usually doubled ‘em up like that when I sold lots on eBay to cut down on space and weight, and I’ve never had anyone complain. They seem to stack better that way for packing, since you have covers facing each other and the spines are on alternating sides. Hopefully I wasn’t committing Crimes Against Comics. (shrug)

Hey, thanks so much for the info, and those great pics :D Helps a ton!

Getting greedy (in more ways than one), but would you be up for trying two modern-age comics using a 700M2/675HB and 700M2/675FB combo? I realize many collectors don't care for this setup when storing even *one* comic per bag, but I'm just so curious if/how it fits... got any cheapos you can try with, in case they end up merging into one book? :wishluck: :shy: 

57 minutes ago, Ashii said:

Getting greedy (in more ways than one), but would you be up for trying two modern-age comics using a 700M2/675HB and 700M2/675FB combo? I realize many collectors don't care for this setup when storing even *one* comic per bag, but I'm just so curious if/how it fits... got any cheapos you can try with, in case they end up merging into one book? :wishluck: :shy: 

Sorry, I don't have any Mylars in that size to try.  Anyone else?

23 hours ago, Ashii said:

It's too tight of a fit even with just a half-back as the backing board - I wouldn't recommend it.

Hi,

I’m new here.  I bought a few comics in my youth and purchased The Walking Dead compendiums, but have only started collecting in earnest recently.  I’m a fan of the Blade Runner films, and when I saw a new comic (Blade Runner 2019) was coming out, I thought I’d give comics another try.  I want to take care of the new books I’ve purchased, so I’ve been doing my research and - long story, short - found this informative thread started by mschmidt 10 years ago (thanks to him & all who have contributed).  From reading this thread/seeing the pictures, I’ve decided to put my books in to the E. Gerber Standard 725M2’s with 700FB’s, but I do have a couple of follow-up questions:  Would placing a modern comic using the 725M2/700FB setup with the flap at the bottom and then placing that into a 775R Silver/Golden Archive (which would then fold the flap up & back) eliminate the need for tape/painter’s tape/3M flags/Velcro dots?  Would you then still need a  750FB or 750HB inside the 775R?  Would there be enough room?  Or are two bags with two boards overkill that would further lead to the need for a larger box because of the 7 and 3/4” width, as well as the additional height from the 7/8” Archive flap that cannot be folded?  Any comic experts, who have been doing this a while, think a Mylites2 with a full-back and some kind of way to close the flap is plenty and I’m just getting carried away?  Thanks for your time and attention.  I just want to show my books the love.

Gavin