• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
54 54

499 posts in this topic

This is quite interesting... Examples of comics in poly bags for 30yrs and both bags and boards remained in great shape. Maybe this guy lived in super ideal ambient condition. My own personal experience was quite the opposite.

I remember replacing my comics' bags and boards back in 2006 and when I got back to collecting in the late 2013, bags and boards were wrinkled and discolored respectively.

Hey guys! new here! Excuse me if this question has been asked before, but is there any visual guide to size comparison between mylites 2 vs mylites 4? Can't find anything in regards to that.

Thank you again! and amazing post OP.

If I understand correctly, it's merely a thickness difference. Mylites 2 are a more or less standard thickness of Mylar, and the 4s are suuuper thick. I personally prefer the 4s.

On that note though, I don't recommend the 4s with the standard fold over tops - use the archives if you're going with 4s, and use 2s for the fold overs.

Edited by Liaton-9000

This is quite interesting... Examples of comics in poly bags for 30yrs and both bags and boards remained in great shape. Maybe this guy lived in super ideal ambient condition. My own personal experience was quite the opposite.

I remember replacing my comics' bags and boards back in 2006 and when I got back to collecting in the late 2013, bags and boards were wrinkled and discolored respectively.

Interesting, but he's talking about $3-5 books. Would he say the same thing if he had a Hulk 181? Would it still be in those old bags w/ boards?

I agree with him that low valued books are fine in their old b & b's but not when you have a book that's $20+ (in my opinion).

I love mylar, I spend money to buy mylar and will continue to have my collection in mylar. I do use the regular b & b's but only when the comic is valued at the ones he showed. Different strokes for different folks.

What a great thread, thanks for all the great feedback. I recently "re-discovered" my bronze collection of about 500 books, and then just bought a silver and bronze collection of another 500 books! Only of which about a dozen are in bags and boards, and I have no idea what kind.

So I am looking for an economical way to bag and board (and box) approx. 1,000 books. From what I have read here, the Mylites 2 775M2 is the best option for these silver and bronze books. But would you use these for all the books, even the "commons"? Or would you just use the 775M2's for the more valuable books and a cheaper bag for everything else? If so, best alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting, but he's talking about $3-5 books. Would he say the same thing if he had a Hulk 181? Would it still be in those old bags w/ boards?

I agree with him that low valued books are fine in their old b & b's but not when you have a book that's $20+ (in my opinion).

I love mylar, I spend money to buy mylar and will continue to have my collection in mylar. I do use the regular b & b's but only when the comic is valued at the ones he showed. Different strokes for different folks.

When I lived in Italy, I stored all my comics in the attic. Very cold in winter and very hot in summer, there was at least a 25-30ºC difference. All my comics were in cheap bags, with cheap boards. I started storing there around 1992. Then in 1998 I moved to France, and all my comics were untouched in the attic. Then in 2002 I moved to Spain and in 2005 I decided to bring to Spain a part of the collection that rested in the attic. Each and every comic I took with me are in the same exact that the day I put them in the attic. And 13 years passed.

To this day, 23 years after I started storing them in the attic, they are unchanged, no yellow pages, no brittle, no moisture, nothing.

That said, if you ask me, I'd put any comic over $30 in a mylar, just in case.

Edited by marmat

Hello all. :)

I am from Greece and I mostly collect Disney comics. I want to use Mylite2 and full-back for a certain Disney magazine, which measures 6-3/4 x almost 9-1/2 inches (17 x 24 cm).

I read your posts and I must say that your analysis was thorough and precise. :)

---> My problem is that the collection I want to preserve (called ΚΟΜΙΞ ) has 303 comics and is quite expensive at least for the Greek comic society standards. The first comics which were published in 1988 and +8 years only had around 35-40 pages. The ones published later from 2004 to 2013 were a lot bigger, with around 100 pages and some special ones even 162 pages (these aren't many).

According to the topic research, I should buy 725M2, since the measures are a little smaller than current age comics. I assume that my bigger comics with 100+ pages will fit well, but what about the ones that are too slim (35 or so)? Won't there be too much room in the bag for the comic to move around and get damaged? I intend to use full-backs.

Please share your opinions on this because it will be sad to sped that much money on something that won't work. According to your experiences, should I just go for 700M2, or will the bigger comics won't fit?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post. :)

I just picked up some new "short box" replacement containers. I wanted to stack some containers after having some cardboard short boxes fail and water damage soaked up from the floor, so I am trying out some hard plastic containers called Really Useful Boxes. They are from a company in the UK (with a US plant as well). They stack super strong, stronger than traditional plastic containers due to their honeycomb structure.

The 19L is basically the right size for comics with a little room on the sides for slide, but I realized a ** 19L XL ** is the right height so my divider tabs don't bend with the lid on. So far I am really thrilled with these cases. Great for both sedentary storage and transporting. Anything larger would be too heavy to carry. Thoughts?

I am having a hard time deciding between 725 and 775.

It seems like there isn't enough board behind the 725, but the 775 seems like it has too much board. There's also a quarter inch gap between the bag and the board which seems very loose to me. They could probably make a "712" board instead of a 700 and that would be a great combo in the 725. I have mostly bronze with some silver. My silver are only 6-3/4 wide with the bronze being almost the same.

Any advice?

In the pictures I compared:

SA book in Mylites2 (Standard) 725M2

SA book in Mylites2 (Silver/Gold) 775M2

Edited by 90sChild

I am having a hard time deciding between 725 and 775.

It seems like there isn't enough board behind the 725, but the 775 seems like it has too much board. There's also a quarter inch gap between the bag and the board which seems very loose to me. They could probably make a "712" board instead of a 700 and that would be a great combo in the 725. I have mostly bronze with some silver. My silver are only 6-3/4 wide with the bronze being almost the same.

Any advice?

In the pictures I compared:

SA book in Mylites2 (Standard) 725M2

SA book in Mylites2 (Silver/Gold) 775M2

Since my old comics are all late silver and fall into early Bronze age , I use the BCW Silver bags in 4mil. They fall between the 725 and 775 in size (7.5"?)

I also like them because they still fit in my short boxes (the 775's are too wide to put in a standard sized comic book short box).

-Terry

Edited by Firespitter