• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : PS 2 games -

12 posts in this topic

I got a ps2 for xmas, and I am having a horrible time trying to get the hang of the games. I recieved Silent Hill 3 and Vice City with it and I will discuss each of them.

Vice City, while pretty cut and dry in terms of what you have to do, I am taking an obsence amount of time to complete one mission. Anyone that has played the game knows that the missions move the story along...and while I have reached the level of where i am trying to blow up the building with the r/c helicopter, after like ten attempts , i am really running out of patience. I have never been a video game person, so this is really new to me.

Silent Hill 3 is brutal. I put the game on, Heather (our herione) is in an amusment park and that's the only thing i can figure out. I can't even get her out of the park and i don't have a clue in terms of where to go or what to do.

I could use some help and ideas. I am getting discourged with it and i am hoping i didn't make a mistake by getting this system.....i am such a novice....

thanks

Without question, if you're new to the whole video game thing, you need to pick up Resident Evil for the PS1.. It'll play in your PS2, and you'll have one heckuva time playing it.

As for PS2, London Underground is top notch stuff. 893applaud-thumb.gif

ps--- cheats and strategies for almost all games can be found online if you just search....

You just have to stick to it. If you think the R/C helicopter mission in Vice City is hard, you haven't seen anything yet. But it's a great game. Don't give up before you meet "Candy Sux" (played by Jenna Jameson).

Seriously though, the best games are all challenging. Silent Hill is a tough series. I've never played 3, but the first one on PSOne was a tough game.

Metal Gear 2 is also a great game, but not any easier. Same with Splinter Cell and SOCOM: U.S Navy Seals. Maybe you'd prefer Sports games?

I could use some help and ideas. I am getting discourged with it and i am hoping i didn't make a mistake by getting this system.....i am such a novice....thanks

I played in the arcades (excuse me--lived in) in the 80's....IMO the games back then were more original/novel although somewhat simplistic. Everything nowadays seemed geared to sports, survival horror, third/first person shoot 'em ups, etc.

Games today require extensive time to complete, are usually in a 'quest' type format, etc. So if you are looking for a quick fix like the arcades of the 80's, I recommend getting MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). Thousands of emulated games from the arcade ROM. However to be legal you must own the roms.

For help with Silent Hill 3 or any other game, there's plenty of 'walkthroughs' and cheats found in abundance on the internet. Just search on the game and 'walkthrough' and you will hit gold. These type of games require you to solve puzzles before advancing to another area of the game. BTW, Silent Hill will mess with your head! Make sure to play in darkest of night, with headphones...hehehe

Good luck.

I received Vice City for Christmas too (for PC).

That mission was annoying, but it will be the last like it you have to do (to “win”). After you get past it, you will probably breeze through the rest. You will also appreciate the RC mission later on when you will have the chance to own your own real helicopters as well as “jacking” an Apache with full weapons.

I would have to say that Vice City is the best “brainless” game I have played in a long time. The story is great and there are hundreds of things to do even after you win.

A game site that I go to that helps me a LOT is www.gamefaqs.com - it contains PLENTY of walk-throughs, cheat codes, message boards, etc. The original Silent Hill was the scariest game I've EVER played. I've got Silent Hill 2, but I know it takes a LONG time to finish, so I'm waiting for a snow day. smile.gif

Hope that site helps. Playing video games is one of my other hobbies. smile.gif

after you get down with Silent Hill 3 and you're left with a big "WTF? O.o"

go back and play pt 1 on the PSOne. SH3's stpry deals with the events in #1, pt 2 on the other hand is a stand alone game (isnt very long either, looks about 5-7 hrs and i WONT play it again to check........the game scares the living [!@#%^&^] out of me ;_;)

Hey, thanks guys. I will defintely check out the game faqs website and the Vice City is a ball buster so far....i get so frustrated , then i swear i'll never play again...then i'm back ten minutes later. I am psyched to get into the Silent Hill series....

I have played Vice City almost as much as I post here... blush.gif

I wish there were more non-linear games out there. So many of the games I feel like I am being drug through the game on a rope tied to the back of a moving car. Yeah, I'm making progress, but it doesn't really feel like my decisions matter at all. There is one specific thing I am supposed to do at each moment and once I know what that is, it's pretty boring... Vice City just doesn't feel like that...

The RC Helicopter demolition mission is a pain... I'd say it's the second hardest mission in the game, behind only the car race to hire a driver. And when you get to that one you'll see what I mean. At least that mission is fun to play even when you lose, but I know people who took over 50 tries to win it... The RC Helo mission is no fun to play when you lose, but it just takes patience. Most of the flying you do in that mission is better done by turning the rotor rather than banking the helo into a turn. I would suggest you try to not bank at all until you are getting to where you are on the last explosive when time runs out. If you're dying well before that, practice flying without banking, it will help...

And that helo time WILL pay off later. Vigilante missions in the Apache are soooommme good!

I have played Vice City almost as much as I post here... blush.gif

I wish there were more non-linear games out there. So many of the games I feel like I am being drug through the game on a rope tied to the back of a moving car. Yeah, I'm making progress, but it doesn't really feel like my decisions matter at all. There is one specific thing I am supposed to do at each moment and once I know what that is, it's pretty boring... Vice City just doesn't feel like that...

The RC Helicopter demolition mission is a pain... I'd say it's the second hardest mission in the game, behind only the car race to hire a driver. And when you get to that one you'll see what I mean. At least that mission is fun to play even when you lose, but I know people who took over 50 tries to win it... The RC Helo mission is no fun to play when you lose, but it just takes patience. Most of the flying you do in that mission is better done by turning the rotor rather than banking the helo into a turn. I would suggest you try to not bank at all until you are getting to where you are on the last explosive when time runs out. If you're dying well before that, practice flying without banking, it will help...

And that helo time WILL pay off later. Vigilante missions in the Apache are soooommme good!

I've had my PS2 for a while now... I've got Vice City... but you know what? Got a GameCube when they were $99 and they came with the four Zelda games... and it's infinitely better.

SO much faster. No longer do I wait fourteen hours for a game to load up! 893applaud-thumb.gif