• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transformers 1 CGC

19 posts in this topic

This book was very hot before the 1st movie. Just before the 2nd movie it cooled down big time.

CGC 9.8

2007 Avg $432

2008 Avg (17) $386

12Mnth Avg (59) $254

90Day Avg (28) $198

Edited by SpiderTurtle

So conclusion is:

1. Don't buy before movie/new hype

2. Most Copper comics are available readily (except maybe Turtles 1 first print)

Well, number 1 depends on what you have to pay when you buy. I may have missed the peak in looking to sell this copy, but it was only a $12 purchase:

Transformers1.jpg

So conclusion is:

1. Don't buy before movie/new hype

2. Most Copper comics are available readily (except maybe Turtles 1 first print)

Well, number 1 depends on what you have to pay when you buy. I may have missed the peak in looking to sell this copy, but it was only a $12 purchase:

Transformers1.jpg

WOW! That's a sweet SHARP copy! you selling?

I paid $300ish a few years back for a 9.8 when I had stupid amounts of deployment money in my bank account.  Just reading through some old threads, so hindsight is 20/20.  After several films since 1986, I'm still struggling to see this book as a $3000 book in 9.8.  GI Joe #1 too.  Nostalgia can be a powerful motivator.  

On 8/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, mec3437 said:

I paid $300ish a few years back for a 9.8 when I had stupid amounts of deployment money in my bank account.  Just reading through some old threads, so hindsight is 20/20.  After several films since 1986, I'm still struggling to see this book as a $3000 book in 9.8.  GI Joe #1 too.  Nostalgia can be a powerful motivator.  

You gave the topic a 12 year bump :)

I can say demand is very high for Joe #1 and key issues same with Transformers. In 10 years will they be $5k or more or a few hundred or less.  Not sure there is long term viability but my year 2000 self-submitted Joe #1 in original 1st gen CGC slab that i originally picked up raw for $2 in 1998 makes me smile.  I was a Joe kid, Transformers never did it for me the same way.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, MAR1979 said:

You gave the topic a 12 year bump :)

Haha, I have a lot of downtime on this work trip!  I've been combing the archives to see what might be interesting to revisit.  I like this more than reading about how much money I could make off of some random issue because it has the first appearance of Jimmy Jabroni or Donny Ditchdigger.  

On 8/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, MAR1979 said:

I can say demand is very high for Joe #1 and key issues same with Transformers. In 10 years will they be $5k or more or a few hundred or less.  Not sure there is long term viability but my year 2000 self-submitted Joe #1 in original 1st gen CGC slab that i originally picked up raw for $2 in 1998 makes me smile.  I was a Joe kid, Transformers never did it for me the same way.

Born in '83, and I was a TF and GI Joe kid.  I bought a raw GI Joe #1 for around $50ish in 2015.  Graded out to a 9.6, so pretty happy with it.  If I come across a 9.8 cheap, I would go for it.  Wild, because no one cared about TF and GI Joe for a long time.  It was all Image and mutants from what I remember in the 90s.  Considering many of the people who grew up with that stuff would have more disposable income as they have aged and progressed in their careers, it makes some sense that the values have risen on some of these books.  I'm going to put together a Canadian price variant run of TF #1-19, but not in any hurry until I finish off some other runs.  

I was born in 82, and GI Joe was the first comic I ever read. I also picked up some Transformers issues back then too. I agree that it's surprising to see how crazy the prices have gotten for each series' first issue lately, especially considering how many are out there. At one point in the 80s, GI Joe was Marvel's top selling book for instance. 

I still need to get a TF1. I've come close a few times over the years, but it hasn't worked out. I should motivate myself. I always preferred the Joes, but the Transformers were up there for me too. I still have some later issues in the collection. 

On 9/19/2021 at 4:32 PM, LudaToke said:

I recently saw a copy of Transformers #1 when flipping through some bins at a local comic shop.  How can I tell if I have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd printing? The covers look the same.

-Page 1. Second and Third prints say so on the first page.  

-Back cover. First print has a Star Wars video game ad. Second print has a Risk ad. Third print has an Acne cream ad. 

On 9/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, eee91 said:

-Page 1. Second and Third prints say so on the first page.  

-Back cover. First print has a Star Wars video game ad. Second print has a Risk ad. Third print has an Acne cream ad. 

That for the info, I greatly appreciate it.  I was able to confirm it was a first print