• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would it take for pulps to make a QUATUM LEAP in price?

55 posts in this topic

I've collected pulps for a long time. I recently had thoughts of offering a few choice ones here on the GA for-sale thread. They are expensive ones (relative to pulp prices.) My asking prices might get me laughed at!!

I don't think most of us know enough to realize whether the price is laughable or a bargain on most pulps. I usually know only whether it is a price I am willing to pay to add it to my collection.

That's very similar to the way I approach pulps, and even comics. If the price feels right for the book then I'll buy it.

Off subject but I also see a need for another type of collectible to be graded.

Albums.

That would be interesting, but you would have to grade the album cover, the sleeve, and the record separately. Which will lead to "marriage" of a high grade album cover, with high grade sleeve, with high grade record.

This "marriage" would be even more controversial than pressing (yes, album covers will also get pressed).

Now don't turn my thread into another pressing thread, we have plenty of those already :sumo:

I've thought quite a bit about this subject and your statements are correct.

Go into any Half-Priced Books store or one like it that sells old albums and there are always plenty of people going through them.

I bet half price sells more vinyl than a lot of other categories. Agree, always people looking through then getting stacks.

Good luck with grading records. As a rabid vinyl collector, I don't think there is any way for that to work. To truly determine a record's grade, it needs to be play-graded. You think that someone's going to sit and listen to a 45 minute record in order to determine a grade?

The most sensitive part of a comic book is the cover, and that is viewable through the slab. The vinyl is obviously the most easily damaged. How do you plan on slabbing that so it's viewable?

The pulp conventions are growing. The time is coming for the pulps very soon!

Don't hold your breath.

Another Conan movie is in the works. A Solomon Kane movie is in the can looking for a distribution date. Sam Raimi has the rights to the Street & Smith characters with them in his sites for after Spider Man 5. Shooting is nearly ready on John Carter. There is a Buck Rogers movie in preproduction. Sales on Dynamite's adventure comics (Lone Ranger, Zorro, Red Sonja) are doing quite well. DC is doing stuff with the pulp characters beginning with Doc Savage. Some of Dark Horse's top-selling non-Star Wars books are Conan and Kane.

Interest in the pulp-originated characters is on the rise. It is a simple step for fans to move to the pulps if they discover them.

This a very thought-provoking thread. I tend to agree with agro here, though maybe I'm too much of an optimist. I do think that is a renewed interest in pulp characters.

Robert E. Howard in particular has seen a revival over the last 5 to 10 years, beginning with the publication of the Wander Star/DelRey editions, then the DH comics, the Age of Conan MMORPG, the forthcoming movies, etc. Lovecraft and the Cthullu mythos in general is always popular and is a solid franchise. In addition to the John Carter movie, there is another Tarzan movie in the works - maybe ERB will see a revival of his own. Buck Rogers, Sherlock Holmes, the Green Hornet, the Lone Ranger are all pulp or pulp-like characters that have movies coming down the pipeline. I think the current popularity with the Steampunk genre will also help renew interest in the supposedly obsolete characters of the early 20th century.

Now, will this translate into a new generation that collects the actual pulps themselves? Well, I don't know - that's probably too much to ask for. Like many of the pulp collectors here, I buy what I like for my collection, not for resale. I learned pretty quickly that I need to be picky, especially with the more common pulps, because I can't really play the upgrade game the way I could with comics. It's bad enough being stuck with lg GA that is tough to move - getting stuck with lg obscure pulps? Fuggitaboutit.

It's bad enough being stuck with lg GA that is tough to move - getting stuck with lg obscure pulps? Fuggitaboutit.

My home is open to any lg GA books to come and retire. I won't even charge you anything for taking care of them. Please mail them all to:

Scrooge

1 Killmotor Hill Way

Duckburg, Calisota 00386

(thumbs u

It's bad enough being stuck with lg GA that is tough to move - getting stuck with lg obscure pulps? Fuggitaboutit.

My home is open to any lg GA books to come and retire. I won't even charge you anything for taking care of them. Please mail them all to:

Scrooge

1 Killmotor Hill Way

Duckburg, Calisota 00386

(thumbs u

lol be careful what you ask for - I do have some drek. :sick:

Did you know some people collect glass insulators? (the devices used to insulate electrical devices like lightning rods in the old days)

I guarantee you that nobody that collects insulators played with them as a kid.

They collect them because they find them beautiful and decorative.

Here is what glass insulators look like:

group.jpg

I was trying to buy a collection from a guy and he wanted me to buy his collection of glass insulators as well. He had 1,000 upon 1,000 of them.

Did you know some people collect glass insulators? (the devices used to insulate electrical devices like lightning rods in the old days)

group.jpg

I was trying to buy a collection from a guy and he wanted me to buy his collection of glass insulators as well. He had 1,000 upon 1,000 of them.

:gossip: Blues and purples are the more desirable ones.

Greens and clear are much more common.

Many of the purple ones were once clear but the manganese in the glass turned them by sitting in the sun for years.

I for one hope pulps stay under the radar for a long time to come... with GA prices what they are, pulps are my only affordable refuge!

Even with the Bookery price guide, pulps have not made that price jump. Maybe a Gerber-type guide would take care of that... all of a sudden, certain issues would become impossible just due to their cool cover art alone.

In the last six months in particular, the pulp market on ebay has become very soft... great time to buy!

I agree but most of the pulps I see on Ebay are in terrible condition.

group.jpg

Many of the purple ones were once clear but the manganese in the glass turned them by sitting in the sun for years.

Can I press a clear one into a purple one? hm

group.jpg

Can I press a clear one into a purple one? hm

Buy one and stick it in a tanning booth until it turns purple.

For those who haven't seen it, here is the bootleg of the Solomon Kane trailer that was shown at SDCC. I think it looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlovrgF-wg&feature=related

This and the John Carter movie by Pixar are the two pulp-related movies that I'm looking forward to the most, I think. I hope the Conan movie does well, but I have little faith that it will accurately capture REH's character.

I also saw that a new non-campy Flash Gordon movie is in the works as well. With this and JC of M, maybe Sword and Planet will make a come back.

Edit: Link fixed.

For those who haven't seen it, here is the bootleg of the Solomon Kane trailer that was shown at SDCC. I think it looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlovrgF-wg...feature=related

This and the John Carter movie by Pixar are the two pulp-related movies that I'm looking forward to the most, I think. I hope the Conan movie does well, but I have little faith that it will accurately capture REH's character.

I also saw that a new non-campy Flash Gordon movie is in the works as well. With this and JC of M, maybe Sword and Planet will make a come back.

that link doesn't work for me (shrug)

that link doesn't work for me (shrug)

Oops, fixed it.