• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the Rob Liefeld of comic book writers?

83 posts in this topic

Stan Lee.

ASM129_lee_spider.jpg

See what I did there?

Every time I think I've repressed the memory of this book, someone posts a photo of it again. :fear:

Chris Clairmont.

Compare his X-Men run with Byrne with anything he's written over the last fifteen years. His scripting is utterly unreadable and his plots are like Swiss cheese. doh!

Yeah, Claremont really lost the plot a while ago. :sorry: I wish that he'd stop trying to write stuff so that he can be remembered for the great stuff he's written in the past.

We want a writer who was first seen as good by naive readers then laughed off as a no-talent. I honestly can't think of one.

Jeph Loeb.

wonder_woman.jpg .

Long Halloween

Dark Victory

Daredevil : Yellow

Hulk: Gray

Spider-Man: Blue

Catwoman: When in Rome..

AND

Heroes when it was still good.......did you happen to notice how bad those shows got AFTER he left?

Almost forgot about Superman for All Seasons...if you don't like this there is no hope.

Ultimates 3

Red Hulk

Ultimate Hulk Annual - I dare anybody to read this. It is the single worst comic I have had the misfortune to read in the last 40 years and I've read some krap in that time.

Yes, even worse than Marville.

We want a writer who was first seen as good by naive readers then laughed off as a no-talent. I honestly can't think of one.

Jeph Loeb.

wonder_woman.jpg .

Long Halloween

Dark Victory

AND

Heroes when it was still good.......did you happen to notice how bad those shows got AFTER he left?

Almost forgot about Superman for All Seasons...if you don't like this there is no hope.

Ultimates 3

Red Hulk

Ultimate Hulk Annual - I dare anybody to read this. It is the single worst comic I have had the misfortune to read in the last 40 years and I've read some krap in that time.

I agreex3. Absolute rubbish. :P

Jeff Loeb has done some stellar work in the past.

Ultimates 3 was not so great.

Key point there...

Consistently great work between 1996 and 2005 counts for something.

2006 to 2008 he was writing for Heroes and Lost and other TV and Film projects and not so much for comics.

So what's the beef with him?

C

Key point there...

2006 to 2008 he was writing for Heroes and Lost and other TV and Film projects and not so much for comics.

C

Read any of those comics I listed. You're only as good as your last book/film/record, yada yada.

Key point there...

C

Read any of those comics I listed. You're only as good as your last book/film/record, yada yada.

I saw the list, I just know that he had almost ZERO creative control of what was to occur and where those stories were to end up. If anyone thinks they can write an in-continuity story for Marvel with Joey Q telling them EXACTLY what has to happen is kidding themselves.

No one, not even Shakespeare, was gonna make that Red Hulk readable.

That's why, when measuring the man, his work on the Superman, Batman, Daredevil, Hulk and Spider-man books he worked on with Tim Sale, where he had far more creative control are where I choose to judge him. It's far more accurate and fair than Joey Q's dog and pony show of the moment.

C

I also wonder how much of Claremont's success on X-Men was in riding Byrne's coattails. He wasn't nearly as good after Byrne left.

i wonder the same thing, especially given Byrne's input on plot development and direction after he was aboard for a couple of issues

Key point there...

C

I happen to think most of those series you listed are over-rated. Yes, they are good, I would not call any of them great.

I happen to think most of those series you listed are over-rated. Yes, they are good, I would not call any of them great. Maybe Long Halloween.

I personally like Bendis writing, especially on Ultimate Spider-man and on the New Avengers. I would tend to think that he works best on individual characters and needs to be steered away from the crime noir . I really wish he would completely take over writing on Spider-man titles. His dialogue is excellent between the characters.

The most over-rated writer that I can think of is Brian Azzarello(his Superman run was utter garbage), and Jeph Loeb. I can't really think of anything he has done in the last 15 years that was any good.

I just bought the first trade of 100 Bullets because just about everyone I know said it was great. Now, I'm a little worried.

100 Bullets is madnastycreamy good.

I can't argue over what he did on Supes, but he put out one of the best stories of the last decade in 100 Bullets, and that's not just me saying that- it's a heck of a lot of people, both inside and outside the industry.

Same here - 100 Bullets was fantastic. And I loved Azzarello's the Joker as well.

I think most agree that 100 Bullets is pretty good. He just needs to stay in that genre. He is a one trick pony.

Jeph Loeb.

wonder_woman.jpg .

Long Halloween

Dark Victory

AND

Ultimates 3

Red Hulk

I agreex3. Absolute rubbish. :P

QFP = quoted for posterity