• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know how many SPAWN #1's were printed ?

45 posts in this topic

Youngblood #1, by the way, broke the record for an "independent" comic print run, formerly held by the incredibly late Aliens vs. Predator #1.

But yes, Spawn #1 clocked in at 1.75 million copies.

Other million+ books (not exhaustive):

Turok #1 - 1.75 million

Superman #75 - 4 million

X-Force #1 - 1.75 million

X-Men #1 - 8 million

Adventures of Superman #500 - 2.5 million

Coocoo bananas, indeed...

Youngblood #1, by the way, broke the record for an "independent" comic print run, formerly held by the incredibly late Aliens vs. Predator #1.

Turok #1 - 1.75 million

Superman #75 - 4 million

X-Men #1 - 8 million

8 MILLION X-Men #1? Does that include the Variants?

Turok #1 - 1.75 million

Superman #75 - 4 million

X-Men #1 - 8 million

8 MILLION X-Men #1? Does that include the Variants?
Holy "spoon" 8 MILLION X-Men #1 :o.No wonder Marvel when downhill in the 90s

And they were sold to all of us dorks that thought a Spawn #1 would be worth something down the road. I had at least a half dozen. I bet my comic shop had 100 after sales. No telling how many long boxes of those things are sitting in warehouses.

And they were sold to all of us dorks that thought a Spawn #1 would be worth something down the road. I had at least a half dozen. I bet my comic shop had 100 after sales. No telling how many long boxes of those things are sitting in warehouses.

I asked this very question to Brian with Neatstuff, and he has never found even one closed case of Spawn #1 ever. Often times finds 5-50 copies in somewhat shuffled looking conditions of fine to near mint. I personally have never seen a case of that book, even with the huge print run almost all have been dispersed to an extent.

Turok #1 - 1.75 million

Superman #75 - 4 million

X-Men #1 - 8 million

I think the adjectiveless McFarlane Spider-Man also had several million copies printed.

The one on your list that surprised me is Turok #1. Did they really print 1.75 million copies of that book? If so, then just out of curiosity, what was the printrun on Bloodshoot #1?

Did they really print 1.75 million copies of that book? If so, then just out of curiosity, what was the printrun on Bloodshoot #1?

Bloodshot #1 was around 850,000...

Enjoy...

http://www.gregholland.com/valiant/printrunsbytitle.asp

I don't think I ever said before Greg but I love your guide. It's exceptionally well done.

Earl.

Turok #1 - 1.75 million

Superman #75 - 4 million

X-Men #1 - 8 million

I think the adjectiveless McFarlane Spider-Man also had several million copies printed.

The one on your list that surprised me is Turok #1. Did they really print 1.75 million copies of that book? If so, then just out of curiosity, what was the printrun on Bloodshoot #1?

BS #1 is approximately 800,000-850,000 copies.

Spidey #1 is always quoted as between 1.5 and 1.75 million, but the Guinness figure of 2.35 million may take into account second prints as well (because, after all, they don't really understand "2nd printing" done within minutes of the first.)

Turok #1 - 1.75 million

Superman #75 - 4 million

X-Men #1 - 8 million

And I still remember the CRAZY money Superman 75 was pulling at the time... :screwy:

Turok #1 - 1.75 million

Superman #75 - 4 million

X-Men #1 - 8 million

And I still remember the CRAZY money Superman 75 was pulling at the time... :screwy:

and the worst thing back then was the if you remove from the polybag does it lose it's value? i remember fighting with friends over that. superman 75, spiderman 1 and on and on.

Now my next question is there a website that keeps records of how many copies of a issue were printed. Like Miracleman or Sandman?

There were 135,000 copies of the US version of Miracleman no.1 printed.

There was also an unknown quantity of the UK version published.

If I recall, by no.15 the print run had dropped to around 40,000.

Then increasingly less as the series progressed.

No.23 and no.24 were as low as 12,000.

Now my next question is there a website that keeps records of how many copies of a issue were printed. Like Miracleman or Sandman?

There were 135,000 copies of the US version of Miracleman no.1 printed.

There was also an unknown quantity of the UK version published.

If I recall, by no.15 the print run had dropped to around 40,000.

Then increasingly less as the series progressed.

No.23 and no.24 were as low as 12,000.

Any idea how many got wasted in the great ECLIPSE warehouse floods? :preach:

WOW! no wonder these issue's are in the DOLLAR bins!

---------------

I'm a dollar bin diver, have looked through hundreds of thousands of dollar and less box books (if not in the millions) and I've never seen a NM Spawn 1 in a dollar box. I've seen some with some dings. True, I tend to skip through when I hit a patch of 90's drek so I might be missing them for that reason, but for whatever reason, despite the vast number of these out there, I don't see them in dollar boxes so much. I think a lot of dealers are loath to dump them and stick them in the $2 box instead. Seriously, the series is pushing issue 200....

Honestly, I'd probably buy them out of a dollar box for fun. Relatively speaking, among the ranks of ridiculously overprinted books, it has actually "held" its value among the best (meaning I think it actually would sell pretty well at cover price).

One reason there might not be palettes of these sitting around is that they actually sold pretty briskly in the years following their release despite the print-run. I remember them moving pretty well at shows for $3 a pop, maybe it was 3 for $10.

Bloodshot # 1's one-day sell-out and quick rise from $3.50 cover to $8-$12 was primarily due to its release on the same day as Superman # 75. A bunch of folks (even civilians) who went to the store for the sold-out Superman 75 ended up with the second-best cover of that week, Bloodshot # 1, instead.

Also, I remember reading that Superman # 75 was the most-dispersed comic in history. That is, the 4 million copies actually went to the most number of individual readers/people.

And ironically, for all that speculation it remains a fairly difficult book in CGC 9.8.

And ironically, for all that speculation it remains a fairly difficult book in CGC 9.8.

hm I wonder how come? Did people overtime end up reading it then throwing it out afterward? or have they just forgot they have it? (it happens)