• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #2 - grading opinions?

51 posts in this topic

Nice book!!!!

The real question is:

Is that really a Marvel Chip or is it a piece out of the book. You would think it is a Marvel Chip, but that bigger than any I've seen (especially since there are no other chips or tears).

I would probably give the book a FN (6.0) but really don't know what CGC would give it.

Overstreet says that a missing 1/4" triangle (on edge) is allowed in VG (among other defects)...which looks to be about the size of what's missing on the FF 2. So, the absence of notable "other defects" brings it up to around a 5.0 IMHO.

I can't really discern how much (if any) is actually missing at the top of the spine of the TOS, but it looks to me like the FF has at least twice as much paper missing...

Come on, surely you remember that book with 1/3 of the cover missing, and it still got a Universal 6.0.

I'd say anywhere from 6.0 to 7.5, but no idea exactly where.

No, and I'll assume you're kidding and/or exaggerating...

absolutely NOT a chip. the old guy in the candy store (central avenue, orange new jersey) pulled it down from a wire rack where it was held by a steel clasp with teeth. i was too young to insist on another copy. (although even then i thought about it). remember this was late 1961 and the real craze was just in it's infancy..........so my shyness probably cost me a grand or two.

as i suspected the range of grades is significant. i am going to CGC it and will let everyone know what i get. the standard service is still near or on-time, i believe.

would certainly appreciate more grades/comments..........

CGC will probably be hard on it and give it a 6.0 or a 6.5 at best. frown.gif

If it was a production chip (marvel chip) then they would look the other way and go 7.0/7.5.

I don't grade that way.

A piece(s) missing is a piece(s) missing and how it got removed is irrelevant to me.

CGC will probably be hard on it and give it a 6.0 or a 6.5 at best. frown.gif

If it was a production chip (marvel chip) then they would look the other way and go 7.0/7.5.

I don't grade that way.

A piece(s) missing is a piece(s) missing and how it got removed is irrelevant to me.

I agree 100%. This will evaluated as a "piece missing" and get dinged accordingly.

That said, it's a beauty no matter what the CGC label says. cloud9.gif

BTW, I'm glad to see the brown mark to the left of the gunstock.

I saw that on my FF 2 and I couldn't tell if it was in the ad or a stain. Now I know it's part of the ad. smile.gif

To my eye, it looked like a piece of the mountain range behind the cowboys.

Overstreet says that a missing 1/4" triangle (on edge) is allowed in VG (among other defects)...

Ah, but Overstreet won't be grading this baby... I would tend to agree that the piece missing is sizable enough to drop this down to the FN range, maybe slightly lower. But I'll guess that CGC gives is FN+ 6.5.

And if they don't read this thread, and decide that the missing piece is in fact Marvel Chipping, it could garner a VF- 7.5 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

absolutely NOT a chip. the old guy in the candy store (central avenue, orange new jersey) pulled it down from a wire rack where it was held by a steel clasp with teeth. i was too young to insist on another copy. (although even then i thought about it). remember this was late 1961 and the real craze was just in it's infancy..........so my shyness probably cost me a grand or two.

I'd like to suggest that we try to track down the old guy, if he is still alive, (perhaps tethered to a machine to help him breathe), form a circle around him in his bed or wheelchair and slowly beat him to death with slabbed comics, chanting: "The Rack, The Rack, BurntBoy is Back!" and "You took a piece of his, we want a piece of YOU!"

Then we could go out for pizza and cokes.

Overstreet says that a missing 1/4" triangle (on edge) is allowed in VG (among other defects)...which looks to be about the size of what's missing on the FF 2. So, the absence of notable "other defects" brings it up to around a 5.0 IMHO.

I can't really discern how much (if any) is actually missing at the top of the spine of the TOS, but it looks to me like the FF has at least twice as much paper missing...

the range on this one went from Drbanner's 5.0 up to an 8.5. a number of folks got it right at 6.5. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

obviously CGC didn't take kindly to missing chunk on the front. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif