• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal now holding payments "hostage" for ebay transactions???

79 posts in this topic

Yes the interest bothers me too. I had a friend sell a $1200 piece of art. And it got held for nearly two weeks. But even if it is hjust ten dollars if they are holding the funds of several million sellers..you can see the interest would add up to quite a bit for them.

Plus the rules aren't implemented in a standard way. What applies to my transactions may not apply to your's and they told me when I called about a policy issue that "Due to privacy concerns we cannot discuss how we implement this policy or the exact criteria used to forumlate our enforcement."

My daughter was trying to sell her Coach purse and they kept saying it was a bootleg purse when we had the original store receipt. Doesn't apply to this situation we are discussing, but the fact that they refuse to disclose how they implement policies really bothers me.

If you expect me to bend over backwards to do business, I should have a set guideline for my conduct and Ebay should tell me how to follow the rules period..not a well... for this one yes for this.. one no.

Yes the interest bothers me too. I had a friend sell a $1200 piece of art. And it got held for nearly two weeks. But even if it is hjust ten dollars if they are holding the funds of several million sellers..you can see the interest would add up to quite a bit for them.

Plus the rules aren't implemented in a standard way. What applies to my transactions may not apply to your's and they told me when I called about a policy issue that "Due to privacy concerns we cannot discuss how we implement this policy or the exact criteria used to forumlate our enforcement."

My daughter was trying to sell her Coach purse and they kept saying it was a bootleg purse when we had the original store receipt. Doesn't apply to this situation we are discussing, but the fact that they refuse to disclose how they implement policies really bothers me.

If you expect me to bend over backwards to do business, I should have a set guideline for my conduct and Ebay should tell me how to follow the rules period..not a well... for this one yes for this.. one no.

It seems eBay will now do this case by case basis and each case seems like eBay has assumed/perceived some kind of "red flag" on the seller for what ever BS reason.

There is no way they can make this an universal policy because if they do eBay will be out business with in weeks. Even they can't be that stupid.

...but I have seen severe stupidly before. :idea:

If I get that type of transaction message then I will tell the buyer and eBay to go :censored: themselves and proceed to get my listing fees back and move on.

Seriously in ten years I have had 0 negs on one ID. I always try to make my buyers happy. I had another ID that I got a negative feedback bomb on. The buyer who BTW got her item and a refund. Left me a nasty sucky neg. Then the biotch proceeded to contact every buyer I had sold to in the past weeks and told them I was a scammer who took her for $$.

She explained that Ebay was doing nothing and the other buyers should neg me immediately to make sure other people wouldn't bid on my items.

Within 24 hours I got over ten negs."Glad someone warned me scammer beware" "Don't bid rip off" "Never got item no refund beware"

Then this crazy lady bid and did buy it nows on everything I had before I could cancel the auctions she bid on I had a terrible sack of negs from her alone.

Some of these buyers had only won the items hours before leaving me the feedback. Then when they did get their items I got "Oh sorry I believed the other lady I was wrong but Ebay won't let me retract the neg so here is my apology" The apologies weren't worth a dime because my ID was already ruined.

The worse part was the scam lady filed a paypal dispute got a refund then got her item the next day. So I lost not only my $50 but the merchandise. And my lovely ID with heaps of feedback. which sat around 70% after the smoke cleared.

I alreayd had several IDs for different types of selling so I just went to using my husbands or my smaller one. He doesn't like me selling lady stuffs on his manly ID.

But all together over such a long period of time our satisfaction rate is pretty high. With the exceptions of a few screwballs.

Ebays new policies really irk me though. I had to link my bank account up to my seller ID before I could sell after years of not having one on their.Silly really.

They want to make sure they get every penny.

Not at all like when they used to have totally free listing days..those were the days. The thing that bothers me is that yes they gave free listing fees. BUT I consistently would list 150-300 items (without turbo lister) in one free listing day. So that was more than my usual in FVFees when it's said and done. They made more money. Evidentally they don't like my money that much because I hardly list at all any more. I just can't deal with the Edramabay

As far as the "guidelines" for implementing this policy; I haven't had any reasons that this would be implemented against me. My account is in good standing, and I've only had one negative feedback. However, one thing that might have factored into it is that this was a second chance offer that I sent since I have multiple copies of this book in identical condition. Has anyone else sent a second chance offer and had this occur?

They won't tell you the criteria the judge it by which bugs the heck outta me. I mean if you have a policy it should be cut and dried one way.

It's like the DSR scores. Supposedly if your star marks are above a certain percentage and you've paid your fees and not gotten any negs, you should have a raised status in the searches. My DSR scores are consistently as high as they can be. They are well above Ebays line of standards. I have no negs or neutrals, my bill is paid. So why then is my search on a lowered or standard status. I called them about THAT too.

Again I got the canned lines about providing good customer service and avoiding negative feedback and policy compliance to keep a raised status in the searches. When I tell them my DSRs are ALL above 4.8, my feedback is 100%, My customers are all happy,fees all paid, I get the scripted canned "Well Ma'am we have other criteria we use to factor in our decesions to raise or lower status in the searches. Of course due to privacy concerns we cannot discuss this issue with you in detail over the phone. Please email and a supervisor will get back to you."

When I emailed about a specific issue. I did not get a response until 60 days later and then the issue had resolved itself and I was back on raised status. The email said

"We see you have cleared up the issues on your account which had lowered your status. Remember timely payment of Ebay fees, keeping customer satisfaction at a high level, and keeping high DSR scores directly effect your standing in the listings search. People will see your items easier when you keep your DSR scores high and have no negative feedback.

Due to privacy concerns we cannot discuss the specific reasons your accounts status was lowered, but remember keeping your buyer's happy is a key to better sales."

BS not telling me why...I had pricey stuff for sale and wanted people to be able to actually see it.

I wonder if they are earning interest on the money they are holding?

PayPal has always been about making money "off the float," in that when they even take 5 days to process bank funds, the banks have rules where funds must be transferred within a certain time limit before it becomes a penalty situation. So those funds were transferred, held, and the extra time adds up in interest.

Here's a good read how the entire PayPal model developed over time.

http://www.amazon.com/PayPal-Wars-Battles-Media-Planet/dp/0974670103

What's amazing is so many companies predicted they would go under. My former company was going to purchase them for pennies on the dollar, but Mergers and Acquisitions stated the same. Yet their model keeps on going.

And now that eBay owns the nearest competition that wanted to take on PayPal (Bill Me Later), there just are no real alternative contenders for now.

while I don't agree with the Paypal policy, the one area that is "not" true is this interest grab... at least not to the extent folks think it is...

the interest on $1200 for 2 weeks is, best case scenario is about 11 cents... that is right, 11 measley pennies, and that is BEST case.... more like about 3 cents, or 1.5 cents a week...even times a million sellers (which is NOT an accurate number, it is about 1.7% of a targeted group of ebay transactions that this applies to, according to Paypal), the $ amount from interest is almost negligible

no, the real reason paypal is doing this (some targeted, some random) is to offset the chargeback $'s they are getting hit with... it is one of those "wide net theories"... hold the money till they are sure they (paypal) can't get chargebacked, and they consider it a win

while I don't agree with the Paypal policy, the one area that is "not" true is this interest grab... at least not to the extent folks think it is...

the interest on $1200 for 2 weeks is, best case scenario is about 11 cents... that is right, 11 measley pennies, and that is BEST case.... more like about 3 cents, or 1.5 cents a week...even times a million sellers (which is NOT an accurate number, it is about 1.7% of a targeted group of ebay transactions that this applies to, according to Paypal), the $ amount from interest is almost negligible

no, the real reason paypal is doing this (some targeted, some random) is to offset the chargeback $'s they are getting hit with... it is one of those "wide net theories"... hold the money till they are sure they (paypal) can't get chargebacked, and they consider it a win

There is no new interest grab - but coming from the Payment Industry, trust me that their model is based on the float. If you are processing billions of dollars in a year, $.11 over many transactions adds up fast.

But very good point about the chargeback process as that is always the risk factor when dealing with value exchange. It is one of the biggest risks, and holding funds to offset the concerns is one of the strongest mitigating steps to take. That's what I was talking about earlier where Frontier Airlines went into bankruptcy because their credit card processor, to offset risks, raised their funds held to $150M from $50M because of the concern with people cancelling flights and wanting their money back due to less business last year. It was all about risk mitigation.

I've had payments as recent as Friday that did NOT go through this process. About 400.00 over the last month or so and none ever held.

I wonder if it matters if you have an actual balance with PayPal? That's the only thing I can see that might matter at this point.

I've had payments as recent as Friday that did NOT go through this process. About 400.00 over the last month or so and none ever held.

I wonder if it matters if you have an actual balance with PayPal? That's the only thing I can see that might matter at this point.

I cannot figure it out either how they are selecting sellers which are impacted by this as I've had some sales as of last week go through with no problem and no special notice.

This is going to be interesting once it gets figured out what the rules are.

12 hours after they hold they money, now I get an email that they give it to me. I'm gonna hold the order until Tuesday instead of shipping on today on Saturday, just does not smell right. Definately getting signature confirmation.

12 hours after they hold they money, now I get an email that they give it to me. I'm gonna hold the order until Tuesday instead of shipping on today on Saturday, just does not smell right. Definately getting signature confirmation.

did you try contacting them at all?? and seeing whats up?

Strangely enough, I received this message from Paypal today:

NOTICE OF FUNDS AVAILABLE

We've released the hold on the funds listed below.

You can see the details in your Transaction History.

Payment Details

Amount (pending): $10.00 USD

Very odd that they would hold the funds from the transaction for such a short period and release them like this. Anyone else have this happen so quickly?

My husband and I are listing right now. I am curious to see if our funds are held. We will be listing in several different catagories. One glass collectibles I know they are regularly holding funds for. The others comics, and some toys.they don't usually hold funds but we'll see. Plus if our items sell we could use the extra cash..

Strangely enough, I received this message from Paypal today:

NOTICE OF FUNDS AVAILABLE

We've released the hold on the funds listed below.

You can see the details in your Transaction History.

Payment Details

Amount (pending): $10.00 USD

Very odd that they would hold the funds from the transaction for such a short period and release them like this. Anyone else have this happen so quickly?

Yes, when they first started this, last year. I have 2 IDs I use on Ebay...one is the same one I use here, and it's got lots of feedback, and another one I use for more personal purchases. I've only sold a few things under that 2nd ID, mostly clothing type stuff. Last year I sold a few things for a friend and used the 2nd ID. They held the money (dispite the fact they know about this ID and that I have had tons of positives). Once they held the money until I got positive feedback (it was for china figurines that sold for about $$450) and once for a $20 item. The cheaper item I was paid for the next day...same message you got.

I called and asked and was told it depended on the item and the likelyhood of fraud.

Stopped selling on that ID, lol.

Seriously, I used to LOVE listing on Ebay, don't do it nearly that often now, but I expect to start again, it's just the only real place in town where you can sell some things and it's nice to have the money to spend on more comics.

This problem happened to me last night as well.

I called Paypal immediately. They said they knew about this problem and that it was a glitch and never should have happened. They said they were being inundated with calls because of this issue. He put me on hold for about 3 minutes and when he got back on the line, my funds were released.

This happened to me once and I was pissed.

I agreed to sell to an international bidder and thought that was the reason. Since it was international you can't get signature confirmation unless you pay the really expensive shipping costs. So without a proof of delivery I thought I wasn't going to get paid for 30 days (since not every buyer leaves feedback).

Even AFTER the buyer did leave positive feedback they didn't release the funds. I made the mistake of contacting their customer service through the e-mail on their site. Bunch of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons!! Seriously, I got an e-mail response back that I had to send another e-mail to another department! What?!? Since when does a company have 2 customer service departments. I eventually called and spoke to someone on the phone, but it was about a week AFTER I recieved positive feedback that they released the funds.

I believe I called them modern day electronic gangsters in that 2nd e-mail too.