• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal now holding payments "hostage" for ebay transactions???

79 posts in this topic

What is this a new account?what sort of item is it?? crazy..

This is not a new account; I've had it for at least five years. The item is an Iron Man comic.

Do you sell often or has your account been dormant for a bit? This is weird. I have never had a payment held ever and I sold a book for nearly $500 a weeks or so ago.

Top Notch is a high-volume comic seller, and he had the same problem. So I don't think it has anything to do with dormant accounts going back to live status.

This is not a new account; I've had it for at least five years. The item is an Iron Man comic.

Do you sell often or has your account been dormant for a bit? This is weird. I have never had a payment held ever and I sold a book for nearly $500 a weeks or so ago.

I have been selling for the last several months after taking a hiatus for a while, but I've been listing on a weekly basis during this period without any such incident. It is definitely weird.

Yes this is true. It's never happened to me probably because they only do it to newer accounts. I've had mine for 9 yrs with no problems so my payments all go through. *fingers crossed*

The worst part is that they hold your shipping costs as well so you are in a slot of having no item in hand and no money. You have to wait until either PayPal gets confirmation the article was received or the customers says "Everything is Okay".

I would like to let everyone who doesn't know know this one very important fact. If the item is over $200 YOU MUST get the signature delivery confirmation. They say $250 or $300 on their website. But they go on a case by case basis. If you sell an item over $200 and don't have proof via signature delivery confirmation it';s like you didn't ship it at all. Insurance isn't good enough, regular delivery confirmation isn't good enough. One they sign they get the package. It's good enough.

I had a $600 lot of comics that even though they were insured to the hilt and delivery confirmationed the lack of signature almost lost me my money. The guy swore he never got them. He did a charge back. Paypal held my funds. it took weeks to get the money back in my account. Turned out the guys girlfriend took the package at the door and set them in a closet and forgot to tell him about it showing up.

If you don't prove via delivery confirmation with signature that the item was signed for PayPal will automatically side with the buyer no question.

:o

Now that is a lot of money to have on hold if you are doing part-time selling to buy more comics, and not a large dealer.

Glad it turned out okay in the end, though never fun.

I am lucky to know my postmaster very well. When she is usually the one working the desk at our two person post office. Luckily she is always willing to vouch for me if a problem comes up. More expensive items I will seal in front of her and then put on addresses and postage that way I have a witness. I had a person try to file a claim agianst me via the USPS their claim was totally sunk when the postmaster said she personally witnessed me putting the items in the box and shipping it. So the buyers claim they got a damaged old crummy item were sunk.

That would never work in a town like say San Diego where they have 20 clerks in the office and no personal service.

I've bought comic book lots from two employees at the post office here a clerk and a carrier. The postmaster got me to teach her to Ebay so she could sell some rare Disney stuff.

Top Notch is a high-volume comic seller, and he had the same problem. So I don't think it has anything to do with dormant accounts going back to live status.

I haven't sold anything for about a month and a half..I am tempted to list to see what the heck happens..I realllllly need to work on my website and get it going so I don't have to Ebay as much...*SIGHS*

I try to only Ebay if it is a higher dollar item worth the trouble. I used to do loads of relistable auctions for small dollar amounts. I have a back stock of hundred if not thousands of small ticket items. If I have like say 500 patches featuring a disney character or 800 vintage princess phone keychains, it would be easy to list and relist every week. Now the little things just aren't worth it. The last time I sold a battle star galatica keychain it only netted me a 65 cent profit..which wasn't worth selling at all.

Yah 12 years, 40,000 plus successful transactions, who knows maybe 50,000 since 20-30% do not leave feedback. First comic dealer to 30,000 and done so with 100% positive feedback. 50-200 transactions per week non stop since 1998. Sounds like I need to send my valuable books to Clink just so they can collect the money in peace.

Yes this is true. It's never happened to me probably because they only do it to newer accounts. I've had mine for 9 yrs with no problems so my payments all go through. *fingers crossed*

The worst part is that they hold your shipping costs as well so you are in a slot of having no item in hand and no money. You have to wait until either PayPal gets confirmation the article was received or the customers says "Everything is Okay".

I would like to let everyone who doesn't know know this one very important fact. If the item is over $200 YOU MUST get the signature delivery confirmation. They say $250 or $300 on their website. But they go on a case by case basis. If you sell an item over $200 and don't have proof via signature delivery confirmation it';s like you didn't ship it at all. Insurance isn't good enough, regular delivery confirmation isn't good enough. One they sign they get the package. It's good enough.

I had a $600 lot of comics that even though they were insured to the hilt and delivery confirmationed the lack of signature almost lost me my money. The guy swore he never got them. He did a charge back. Paypal held my funds. it took weeks to get the money back in my account. Turned out the guys girlfriend took the package at the door and set them in a closet and forgot to tell him about it showing up.

If you don't prove via delivery confirmation with signature that the item was signed for PayPal will automatically side with the buyer no question.

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the postal service requires a signature at delivery on packages insured for $250 and above. Even when signature confirmation is not purchased.

I am saying that PayPal says $250 but the pink signature delivery is what they go by for any packages over 200 anyway. It's like they reserve the right to to handle disputes on a case by case basis. It has to be an ONLINE trackable confirmation they won't accept any other method of tracking

Yah 12 years, 40,000 plus successful transactions, who knows maybe 50,000 since 20-30% do not leave feedback. First comic dealer to 30,000 and done so with 100% positive feedback. 50-200 transactions per week non stop since 1998. Sounds like I need to send my valuable books to Clink just so they can collect the money in peace.

That sucks Tom. Forget it. I'm done selling on ebay. They can blow me after this little revelation.

Did they hold the money on just one transaction you've completed recently or all of them since this was implemented?

On a side note... not every USPS delivery confirmation gets scanned when a package is delivered.

I'm not going to list any more leftovers from my slab subs on Ebay until I see how this shakes out.

I just got 10 payments over the last couple of days with no issues?

Is this going to be for all or does the buyer have to select something for eBay to do this?

Either way eBay is 2 years from going under. Unless you sell Moderns or do Buy It Now with submit best offer then eBay is by far the worst place to sell vintage comics anymore.

I see less and less of the stuff that used to be on there in terms of GA/SA/BA.

I think most collectors dont trust eBay and use other comics auctions sites that do not have all this hassle.

I hope in a couple years NO ONE sells comics on eBay. F Them.

I ran into this very issue recently when I decided to sell off most of my action figures (Boxed SuperHero Mego's and Star Wars 12 backs). I've had my ebay account for years (back to at least '99), but rarely ever do any buying or selling, so, needless to say its been at least a year or two since my last activity on the site. I listed the figures on ebay, all sold, netting me @$3k in total. However, as the buyers paid via PayPal, for each and every single payment made I received this notice. I had no idea what was up when they first arrived, but quickly I figured out I was being screwed.

So I was left paying for packaging, shipping, insurance, etc.. out of my pocket while the funds were kept from me. And I wasn't given access to the payments until the buyers received their winnings and gave feedback. But I still am waiting for two bidders to leave some feedback or just patiently wait out the 21 day period (which ends in 5 days, finally).... And on top of this, the auctions happened to end the day before monthly billing by Ebay, so when my bill arrived my account charges showed up for roughly $160 that I would have paid from my winnings, BUT I COULDN'T because they were still being held. Another cost out-of-pocket.

Bleh, not what I expected when selling on Ebay after coming back from some time away. I will not use the site again, this is just a terrible business model, screw the seller...

I have to have the most credible account, length of business, number of flawless transactions. I simply do not have problems. This must be a new police policy. Double losers.

After forcing sellers to accept Paypal and nothing but Paypal Ebay now pulls this? Force a monopoly onto the sellers and then change the rules when the sellers have no alternative.

21 days interest on all of the Ebay payments funneled through Paypal is a huge amount of $$.

At this rate Ebay is gonna have millions of happy safe customers and zero sellers.

I ran into this very issue recently when I decided to sell off most of my action figures (Boxed SuperHero Mego's and Star Wars 12 backs). I've had my ebay account for years (back to at least '99), but rarely ever do any buying or selling, so, needless to say its been at least a year or two since my last activity on the site. I listed the figures on ebay, all sold, netting me @$3k in total. However, as the buyers paid via PayPal, for each and every single payment made I received this notice. I had no idea what was up when they first arrived, but quickly I figured out I was being screwed.

So I was left paying for packaging, shipping, insurance, etc.. out of my pocket while the funds were kept from me. And I wasn't given access to the payments until the buyers received their winnings and gave feedback. But I still am waiting for two bidders to leave some feedback or just patiently wait out the 21 day period (which ends in 5 days, finally).... And on top of this, the auctions happened to end the day before monthly billing by Ebay, so when my bill arrived my account charges showed up for roughly $160 that I would have paid from my winnings, BUT I COULDN'T because they were still being held. Another cost out-of-pocket.

Bleh, not what I expected when selling on Ebay after coming back from some time away. I will not use the site again, this is just a terrible business model, screw the seller...

An excellent point. Ebay wants their cut of the auction but you don't have funds because Paypal (Ebay) is holding back the funds. The seller pays the shipping up front and then pays the auction fees while Ebay/Paypal holds back the funds. Absolutely insane.