• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess who's at it again ....

102 posts in this topic

Man , I would love advise from those who have experience with restoration techniques very very much. I have read allot about drying and have tried everything but one tiny detail still alludes me and it would be nice if that was shared. I don't think kenny knew either until CI, and he can't or won't reveal that little trick to prevent the cockle. Once I get past that , the books I work on will be much better off.

(thumbs u

Mike, I think this is why people are having a problem with you. You readily admit you do not have a grasp of the most basic fundamentals of restoration yet you still want to offer them a service to others "as you learn". :( There is a HUGE difference between your desire to learn something(which I can readily appreciate), and offering that service to others before you are ready.

When I took an iron to comics years ago I at least had a working knowledge of how paper was made, this lent itself to knowing how to apply heat to paper and have it dry correctly which is why my early results were better then worse. Which led to me learning about it from Matt. So your joke about you having a "press with instructions" is laughable given your results, I cannot believe you even had the nads to say it.

I think you would have been much better received if you simply posted hi res photos of your work and said, "hey guys.. I tried this on a comic.. what do you think?" Instead of what we got which was you posting off angle photos of work that you did for clients, that was less then stellar to the point of unnecessary.

This isn't a game, or personal. It just is.

I would rethink how you are promoting yourself because many of the people you should be trying to impress you are turning away. People want to root for a fellow collector, give them something to root for.

2c

Man , I would love advise from those who have experience with restoration techniques very very much. I have read allot about drying and have tried everything but one tiny detail still alludes me and it would be nice if that was shared. I don't think kenny knew either until CI, and he can't or won't reveal that little trick to prevent the cockle. Once I get past that , the books I work on will be much better off.

(thumbs u

Mike, I think this is why people are having a problem with you. You readily admit you do not have a grasp of the most basic fundamentals of restoration yet you still want to offer them a service to others "as you learn". :( There is a HUGE difference between your desire to learn something(which I can readily appreciate), and offering that service to others before you are ready.

When I took an iron to comics years ago I at least had a working knowledge of how paper was made, this lent itself to knowing how to apply heat to paper and have it dry correctly which is why my early results were better then worse. Which led to me learning about it from Matt. So your joke about you having a "press with instructions" is laughable given your results, I cannot believe you even had the nads to say it.

I think you would have been much better received if you simply posted hi res photos of your work and said, "hey guys.. I tried this on a comic.. what do you think?" Instead of what we got which was you posting off angle photos of work that you did for clients, that was less then stellar to the point of unnecessary.

This isn't a game, or personal. It just is.

I would rethink how you are promoting yourself because many of the people you should be trying to impress you are turning away. People want to root for a fellow collector, give them something to root for.

2c

what he said

Man, didn't get a chance to edit my post in time. doh!

You really are a total person_too_unaware_of_social_graces.

No kidding. How can someone expect to be taken seriously with such inane comments? Completely missed the point of the thread on the experiment.

No kidding. How can someone expect to be taken seriously with such inane comments? Completely missed the point of the thread on the experiment.

huh? (shrug)

Exactly...you are completely oblivious to your own buffoonery. I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or continue to laugh at your shenanigans.

huh? (shrug)

let's see;

Ze-man: presses a book for better understanding of the process.

MasterCPU: presses and colour touches a book to see if he can do it.

Ze-man: when contacted by a leading restoration expert in response to his thread, takes it upon himself to learn how and when to "restore" books.

MasterCPU: when contacted by a leading restoration expert in response to his thread, thanks him for his time and moves his party to another site.

Ze-man: when starting out, worked on non-important books.

MasterCPU: when starting out, gets other people who don't know any better to send him their keys to work on.

Ze-man: works for quite a while under responsible tutelage, continuing to hone his craft in private, asking for and receiving advice.

MasterCPU: continues to pimp his "services" and manages to make quite a few low and mid-grade books very publicly into freakshow PLODs that aren't even decent examples of properly restored books.

Ze-man: treats restoration as a craft and profession.

MasterCPU: seems to treat restoration as a game, ignoring pleas to practice more before ruining other people's books. decides to start slabbing his "work" with the 3rd party grading operation that has a well-deserved rep for being craptacular at spotting resto. Even though i think a blind person would be able to detect the examples i've seen so far.

the fact that you don't seem to understand the differences between the two scenarios is kind of frightening

hm So I wonder if its not to late to correct this mess I am in. Any thoughts?

:tonofbricks:

man dude i dunno, i would keep posting but stay away from anything with the subject or restore or pressing

good luck with that tho

Well , for a start I was thinking of closing website and switching to amateur experimenter on non-keys and just do some stuff for friends with detailed docs. Post my experiments online and take all the criticism in with stride. Avoid CT and don't do something on a key unless its done right. Just a thought. End of line....

Well , for a start I was thinking of closing website and switching to amateur experimenter on non-keys and just do some stuff for friends with detailed docs. Post my experiments online and take all the criticism in with stride. Avoid CT and don't do something on a key unless its done right. Just a thought. End of line....

A step in the right direction. :applause: