• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal personal payment option is getting on my nerves.

31 posts in this topic

Look at the site www.paypalsucks.com {real site}. While I hope these types of horror stories don't happen to anyone here. The reality is that it can/has/will happen. You have to be very careful and smart. If Pay Pal wants to. They can freeze your account for any number of what they call "reasons".

When the thread to help Nik's{RIP} family came about. I was actually worried about what PayPal would/could do. It is/was a lot of money going into that one forum members account. I knew the forum member wasn't going to be a problem. But I did think that PayPal might get involved. It was over $50K!!! I could see the thread "PayPal screws us over"..... Do what you have to and can do to protect yourself.

You never know when PayPal will decide to freeze your money. Then try and get it all worked out. That is much easier said than done according to some of the horror stories on the above mentioned web-site about PayPal.

That link brings up this warning!!!!!

85598.jpg.12f3e83be406f67bfdfbd511ea386607.jpg

if i sell on here, i prefer the personal payment to save on the 3%, if they don't want to pay that way, they can add on 3% on top of shipping. if it's eBay, it's not even a choice. (shrug)

If the buyer declines either +3% option, does that mean the sale does not go forward?

I'm not fond of how it's being used lately. It seems like a lot of people have asked due to the payment situation with Nik's books. In Nik's situation, it was the right thing to do. But I absolutely don't think it should be an expectation moving forward.

My feeling is that it needs to be specified in the 1st posting before any sales occur. That way, the buyer can haggle this or not buy.

Pat

I've sent personal payments, some asked for/some not, to the folks that I've purchased from that were obvious board reg's with high post counts. I’ve found that a lot of the long time guys on here go out of their way to give other board members good deals. Some of these sellers shouldn’t even have to ask for a personal payment, it should just be the way things are done. 2c

For those that are new (including for myself in my own thread), I've went the purchase/not personal payment paypal route. That way the buyer stays protected (no protection with personal payments). I don't spend more than I've already got in my paypal account, so I don't run into the credit card issue.

Bottom line, if your comfortable working with the seller, no sense in giving paypal 3% of their (or your) cash if you don't have to. (thumbs u

I don't sell, so there is nothing in my paypal account. If someone only accepts paypal, they should suck up the charge, or accept checks and money orders. If they don't want to do that, I guess business can't always be conducted. No big loss to either party I assume.

This all really boils down to effective communication on the seller's (and buyer's) part and decision making on the buyer's.

Rule 9 for selling states:

List acceptable forms of payment.

Since paypal now offers options of business or personal payments the seller needs to specify Paypal Personal Payments only. If the seller doesn't then he/she has to accept if the buyer sends it as a business payment and accept the 3% deduction in paypal fees. If he/she does state Personal Payment's only then the buyer has to abide by this should they click the :takeit:

As a buyer it is my responsibility to read the terms of the sale and abide by them. If I don't like the terms of the seller then :news: I don't buy. I think the personal option is great to have as an option. In the end it's all just about making a decision that we are comfortable with.

What's your position on the personal payment ?

I have decided that I will only use it with whom I trust based on prior transactions on this board. Ebay transactions are different. I'll never do the personal option through ebay.

When I'm buying - If (and only if) I absolutely trust the seller, I'll do him/her a favor and send personal.

When I'm selling - Haven't sold anything yet since the personal payment option became available so I'm not sure how I'll handle it for the next sales thread.

Where I trust the seller or am simply being trusting I always use personal or Gift as I know it. Where I am spending a lot of money I either insist on non personal, when I don't know the seller, or at least pay by CC and either pass on the fee or pay myself depending on how much of a bargin i am having. The Pay Pal Gift feature is a great bargaining tool when buying though.