• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1602 Number 6 Speculations/Spoilers

17 posts in this topic

So this is really hitting its stride now! 893applaud-thumb.gif

What we know--

The future visitor that (ahem) set the wheels in motion arrived 12 years ago, and was probably a human being. So, Virginia Dare, we got that (unless Gaiman is pulling off a massive misdirection here). But who is Virginia Dare, this shape-shifting, time-travelling "forerunner?" In keeping with the approach of the series so far, it ought to be someone from the present-day Marvel U. we all know, yes? So, who is it?

- a Skrull?

- a manifestation of the Phoenix?

- Gwen Stacy? crazy.gif

Any other guesses? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know and I'm not even sure I wan to speculate, but I'm definitely enjoying the ride. It's just silly how good this series is.

I'd guess that it's not the Phoenix force because of the Silver Age limitation he set. Other than that? I'd have to really think about it to come up with a candidate. Then again, does the Virginia Dare character have to be an established Marvel character?

I can't wait to re-read this with all eight books in my hand.

High quality day at the LCS. I'm glad I braved the cold. Only two books but both were great (Ultimate X-Men was the other.)

The future visitor that (ahem) set the wheels in motion arrived 12 years ago, and was probably a human being. So, Virginia Dare, we got that (unless Gaiman is pulling off a massive misdirection here). But who is Virginia Dare, this shape-shifting, time-travelling "forerunner?" In keeping with the approach of the series so far, it ought to be someone from the present-day Marvel U. we all know, yes? So, who is it?

- a Skrull?

- a manifestation of the Phoenix?

- Gwen Stacy?

Any other guesses?

Time traveller moved back in time awkwardly... not using the more fluid means of time transport used by Doom and the others.

12 years back... something saved Virginia Dare, as she should have died. How old is she in the series? She is a unique historical figure, not the traveller, but tied in somehow to the time traveller.

Ok... so traveller goes back... journey itself is causing time to cave in on itself. Age of Marvels is coming in to play 400 years early... 17th century ancestors of the future Marvels are getting the 20th century equivalent powers and abilities. But only up to a point... only silver age characters appear.

Some of these characters are older than 12 years... but still resemble the modern day relationships... Magneto and his kids, Xavier and the original X-Men, Daredevil, Black Widow, Doom, The Fantastic Four, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, now Donald Blake/Thor (why does Thor look different btw?), the Watcher (who would have been there anyway), Captain America, Peter Parker (yet no Spider-Man). Like someone grafted the modern Marvels onto these characters.

So, is there a character that has been introduced who looks like he might be the modern version but transplanted back... and 12 years older?

I can't think of anyone offhand... except maybe Donal, who is much older than he should be if he is the 17th century version of Donald Blake..

Here's my wild theory... big fight... Thor gets sent back through time... his arrival somehow sets off events that "spare" Virginia Dare and the rest of the colony... he's unconscious.... hammer is separated from his body... time limit expires and Thor turns back into Donald Blake (and Mjolnir into a cane). Except Blake can't remember anything at all... so he becomes a servant for the templars for 12 years... all the while he dreams of Marvels that he knew and that somehow brings his contemporaries into the present/past.

Finally the Templars tell him that he must go north to deliver the templars' gift (which is himself and the cane).

If Donal is Donald Blake... does that necessarily mean that this Thor is actually the real Thor, or is this merely a representation of an amnesiac Thor, who vaguely remembers what he should look like and do after striking the cane? This Thor looks older and different. Thor was active in 1602 wasn't he? And he sure didn't look like the Thor that was in #6. He wasn't linked to a mortal named Donal then either, that was a punishment Odin inflicted in the 20th century.

Other candidate would be the Grand Inquisitor/Magneto, who looks much older than Magneto should be.

Maybe Thor and Magneto fought? Magnetism and electricity shunted them backwards? Why does Magneto want the Witchbreed destroyed anyway? If he was the true Magneto, wouldn't he be trying to protect them?

Just some thoughts.

Kev

You're right, it is not necessary that Virginia Dare be the time-traveller, the time-traveller could have simply been the reason she and the Roanoke colony escaped their fate in "our" timestream.

But if this is the historical Virginia Dare, how/why is she a shape-shifter?

I enjoyed your speculations... here's another one: We've seen or heard of all the iconic Silver Age Marvels, with one glaring exception...

Where is the Hulk?

(Any other MIAs so far?)

Wasn't James I 's chief adviser named Banner?

Shape-changing & Virginia Dare are not actually new to the stories surrounding the first english child born in North America. There are indian folk tales that say that Virginia was adopted by one of the local tribes and as an adult had the ability to change into a white deer and/or other woodland creatures. Try a google search on Virginia Dare and you can find a few of them on the internet.

Kev

Missing Marvels:

Giant Man/Ant Man

The Wasp

Iron Man

Namor the Sub-Mariner

Hawkeye

Present but still human:

Peter (Spider-Man)

Banner (Hulk)

I think we saw someone/something that looked like the Silver Surfer in an earlier issue.

Kev

I found this online:

Neil Gaiman has said that 1602 is not a "what if" story. It is an adventure which becomes clearer as the story progresses issue by issue. Mr. Gaiman has also stated that he has 2 cardinal rules he will not break for the series.

Firstly, the Marvel Universe will come into existence much the same way, only 400 years earlier. Secondly, he is removing anything or any character that does not move the story forward. The example he uses is Wolverine and Iron Man. Neil Gaiman writes "No matter how you slice Iron Man, his is still a bloke in armor". He has promised to include as many Marvel characters as possible.

Mr. Gaiman was inspired to create 1602 while participating in a comic book convention in Venice, Italy.

Kev

http://www.continuitypages.com/marvel1602.htm

Doesn't he mention how long the staff has been around in the book? I thought he did. Anyobdy got a copy they can look in?

Murdock: Is that all? I could have got you another stick, Donal.

Donal: No. Bo, you couldn't. Not like this one....This is the Treasure of the Templars. Brought to Jerusalem by the Norsemen eight hundered years back.

Hey! And how 'bout some kudos to me! First with the Weapon/Cane "theorey". tongue.gif

I was right! (And it wasn't even my idea) shocked.gif

Chris

So still kind of weird that Thor has not manifested in over 800 years, when he was around in the normal Marvel Universe (just not very active in Midgard) at this time.

Some more aspects of the great mystery....

Virginia Dare is 15, she was 3 when the traveller arrived. She would have been around 3 years old when the colony disappeared on our earth.

The Ball that the old man Donal carried (but was not the weapon, that was the cane) fell from the sky "some (i.e. approximately) fifteen years ago". Perhaps it is really 12?. Sir Reed says that it is not of this earth, and strange things happened to the surface when it was heated and images could be seen. But it was easily destroyed and scars Doom horribly. Is the Golden Ball the device that brought the traveller back?

Dinosaurs... why are there dinosaurs in Latveria? Why are they on the plains in North America? Are they a part of the time flux or does Kubert just like drawing dinosaurs?

Kev