• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

153 posts in this topic

As we drove home today from seeing family over the Holiday weekend I got to thinking, and I finally decided what I wanted to do with a piece of art Nik gave me.

A little back story for those who don't know and those who do sorry for the lengthy retelling.

Years ago Nik and I were talking and during our conversation I must have said something about Ellen liking Disney, Nik mentioned he had recently bought a ton of Disney repro Animation Cells because his kids loved them and their walls were now covered with them. I asked about buying one and he said he would look to see what he had leftover and what did Ellen like. I of course said "Princess stuff" but her favorite was Dumbo. He looked and said he didn't have anything she might like and we left it at that. No biggy.

Fast forward several months to Christmas and we got a huge box in the mail from Nik, for Ellen. I of course had an idea what it might be but only when she opened it on Christmas morning did I realize just how thoughtful Nik was and how he always went out of his way to make others happy without ever expecting anything in return. It was a Animation cell of Dumbo and Timothy from Ellen's favorite scene no less. It was framed and matted..it was beautiful.

Several years later he sent me a Cell of Pinocchio when Trevor was born, for free and without me asking. Along with that he added a Flintstones cell which I tucked away in my studio and forgot about.

Until last month when I found it by accident while cleaning up my studio getting ready for Chicago con. I was floored that I forgot about the piece and even more floored that I was holding this piece of art sent from Nik who had just passed away. I had originally wanted to donate it to the fundraiser auctions but we had enough items already. I was then going to bring it to Chicago and auction it there but again..we had enough items. I would have sent it to his kids along with cards and stuff Ellen made but they already had loads of these Cells.

So I just hung onto it.

Bear with me...

When my father passed away years ago the one thing that really helped me was to hear from all his co workers at a party/wake they held downtown for him. I never really knew my father as an adult so to see an outpouring of people and to hear all their stories and how he touched their lives made the sting of his loss much less severe.

We all know Nik loved his kids more then anything so my story does not really relate to them other then I thought it would be nice for them to hear from all of his "comic friends" and show them how Nik , their Dad affected the people who knew him.

So my idea is to mail around and have everyone sign this Animation Cell still wrapped and taped up by Nik. And once signed by everyone get it framed and present it to Niks family. I am going to not only sign the Cell but also type up some memories I have of Nik and stick it in an envelope in the box so his kids(and wife) can read about a side of their dad that they might not really have known as well as we did. Or just read some happy stories about their dad.

I encourage everyone else to do the same if you have a personal story or observation about Nik because as I said earlier, hearing personal stories from those who knew my father made me all the richer as a son.

Here is the Cell we can hopefully fill up with our sigs.

cell2.jpg

Rules are simple.

Edit/update the ongoing list as you sign up.

No need for PM's I will take care of getting peoples address when it comes time for them to get the box.

Once you get the box, sign your name somewhere with a fine print permanent marker, and or include a sealed letter for his kids.

PM me that you got the box and I will pass along where to send it next.

This could obviously take awhile depending on how many people sign up, or if we get several people from Up North or overseas it would of course help to coordinate these together.

Possibly someone could take it to a Convention and get multiple peoples sigs at once.

There are no doubt countless details I am not thinking of right now but I just wanted to and see if there was any interest before hammering out the necessary details.

I thought I said make a list!!. I think. :blush:

So far we have.

If you sign up add your name and pass it on.

:hi:

Comicopolis, UK

The Watcher, IL.

Dc Watson, Deep South

Supapimp, Cally

1Koko, UK

Beau, Bama

Greggy, up there

Silvers, Ohio

Comicopolis, UK

The Watcher, IL.

Dc Watson, Deep South