• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ref: what push your limits of patience when at a show or LCS

399 posts in this topic

Personal space is a big one with me or when someone is going thru a box and take up 2 more with their stuff or just simple lack of manners.

I hear that, but sometimes at a convention it's tough to find a spot to put your stuff down so it's out of the way.

that is understandable, i try to work around that and still be polite

usually a wheelchair

At SDCC there was a lady in a wheelchair who was going down the center aisle, practically yelling at people to get out way - "GEEEEEEZZZ WHEELCHAIR TRYING TO COME THROUGH!!"

and there was another guy in a full-size golf cart. Amazing.

This happened the last time I went to a comic store.

I was going through some long boxes and I started a pile of books I was going to buy. They were about two long boxes down from me then a kid picks them up and says "Hey Dad! What about these, don't you need these?" Dad says yes and adds them to his own pile. I thought about saying something, but really they were just midgrade conan issues... I let it slide and left. At the time I was looking to downsize my collection, so it didn't make sense to buy more.

I'm not a big fan of spending 15 minutes scrutinizing 20 copies of the same comic to find the best one, only to get to the cash register where the clerk bends the comic putting it into a bag.

My biggest pet peeve.

I'm not a big fan of spending 15 minutes scrutinizing 20 copies of the same comic to find the best one, only to get to the cash register where the clerk bends the comic putting it into a bag.

My biggest pet peeve.

One time I got so pissed about this, I paid for the book and literally threw it back at the seller. Ended up being fruitless as he had no idea what the problem was. It was a cheap book, but I still have never found another!

Pat

insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at conventions that have no concept of personal space & stand over your shoulder while you browse through a box of comics. One guy in Chicago was literally breathing down my neck once. It took all of my self-restraint to refrain from elbowing the guy straight in the face.

lol We must have run into the same guy there. He was so close I could feel his breath. Me, I'm not so polite when someones trying to get into the same box. I just turned and looked at him and said " Wait til I'm through and you can look all you want".

Next year at Chicago, I'm also adding a clothespin to my carry case. There were a few people that smelled so bad the aisle should have been evacuated. (shrug)

DRX

Shows - people who don't bathe, people who don't respect personal space, people who hover over you when you're looking through a box. If I take an hour to go through a long box, that's my right, as I "got there first." Look somewhere else, don't stand at my elbow, and don't you DARE reach for something in the same box ahead of where I am without asking first.

Local stores - too much to list. I don't go to local stores but once a year or so.

Shows - people who don't bathe, people who don't respect personal space, people who hover over you when you're looking through a box. If I take an hour to go through a long box, that's my right, as I "got there first." Look somewhere else, don't stand at my elbow, and don't you DARE reach for something in the same box ahead of where I am without asking first.

Local stores - too much to list. I don't go to local stores but once a year or so.

Plus infinity....esp. the bathing....

there's this guy...1000000 comix.....man,I just

wont buy from him....

All of the following push the limits of my patience in one way or another.

I hate when the con promoter either books a room that's too small or packs dealers in too tight thus restricting aisle space and movement.

Another vote for poor hygiene.

People who are looking through a box and put the comics that they've picked out on top of the box you want to look in. Many will notice and move them, but many don't.

The guy in front of you in the artists line who wants the guy to sign an entire short box worth of comics. :mad:

Dealers who obviously haven't had even a rudimentary lesson in customer service.

Fans who are more adept at interacting with electronic people than 3-D people.

Shows that books dealers whose entire stock seems to be 90's drek.

My biggest pet peeve.

One time I got so pissed about this, I paid for the book and literally threw it back at the seller. Ended up being fruitless as he had no idea what the problem was. It was a cheap book, but I still have never found another!

Pat

When I moved down to London in the mid-eighties, this was exactly why I stopped doing business with Forbidden Planet. I would spend ages looking through large piles of new comics, far more than 20 per, I might add, to find what I considered to be the best-looking book.

(I believe that many of us here do the same.)

On a couple of occasions while checking out, my large carefully selected stack of books was placed directly on top of the open till drawer, which was pushed back and forward by the body of the assistant behind it so that it looked as if the comics were going to be bent in two along the spine. I complained about this and asked her to be more careful, which was basically ignored, and on the last occasion when I was leaving the two assistants there looked at each other and stated at plain hearing distance for my benefit, 'What was all that about?', shaking their heads at me and looking at me like I was completely insane.

Okay, I can understand that they might have been working a part-time weekend retail job with no actual interest in or knowledge about comics or the obsessive nature of die-hard fans, but there's really no call for being that abusive straight to a customer's face.

That was the last time I went there- besides which there were better comic book shops in the city whose services I could use, so no real loss at all.

My biggest pet peeve.

Pat

I think it's the obliviousness that drives me crazy. When they don't know that they're even doing it in the first place. :frustrated: I've actually considered more than once the idea of taking up bent, trashed copies to the counter to get rung up and then swapping those out for the actual copies I want (assuming we're not talking a difference in price).

Lucky for me, the guys at Mile High know me well. Not long ago, one of the guys actually dropped the comic I was buying on the floor. He immediately apologized and said he knew how much I seem to care about condition. I laughed it off as best as I could...it was a silly modern Spider-Man after all. To this day, that clerk is always very, very gentle with my comics.

insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at conventions that have no concept of personal space & stand over your shoulder while you browse through a box of comics. One guy in Chicago was literally breathing down my neck once. It took all of my self-restraint to refrain from elbowing the guy straight in the face.

lol We must have run into the same guy there. He was so close I could feel his breath. Me, I'm not so polite when someones trying to get into the same box. I just turned and looked at him and said " Wait til I'm through and you can look all you want".

Next year at Chicago, I'm also adding a clothespin to my carry case. There were a few people that smelled so bad the aisle should have been evacuated. (shrug)

DRX

Forget the clothes pin. Bring a bottle of Fabreez and spray the sucker.

Dealers actually sometimes get sweaty at the smaller regional cons because they have to lug in dollies full of long boxes and set up the displays before the con opens. (Dealers also tend to make up a large percentage of the actual buyers at the smaller cons.)

At the larger cons, there's really no excuse unless the attendee is living in their car or staying at the con 24/7.