• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Standards

18 posts in this topic

So eBay have been forcing into the righteous selling corner for a while now where we're scared to even fart while we're typing out our listings. We are urged to give free shipping so they make more coin, they are holding payments until we've sent the items etc.

Now they're advertising software so people can listen in on your calls and get access to your text messages on eBay UK :screwy:

They'd sell their mother if the price was right...

Ebay-1.jpg

How about mother-in-laws? :wishluck:

That should go without saying, a tenner would secure mine. Shipping included.

Nah, you're going to have to give me more than a tenner. :whistle:

Have you met her or something?

How about mother-in-laws? :wishluck:

That should go without saying, a tenner would secure mine. Shipping included.

Nah, you're going to have to give me more than a tenner. :whistle:

Have you met her or something?

You mean they're not all the same? :o

I've had better than this before. A couple were actually sane :o

There's nothing illegal about this.

The eBay ads that appear below the search results on ebay.co.uk are automatically inserted based on the search keywords. You searched for the very spy-centric "+detective +400" which means that any ads that have paid for the "detective"-keyword are shown.

It's really no different than what Google or any other search engine does - do a search on Google UK for the same string, and you'll get the same sort of results:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%2Bdetective+%2B400&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

If definitely doesn't look right does it? I'm pretty sure eBay could be brought up for advertising this sort of stuff.

Its not ebay selling!

Those look like google keyword ads!

Site have no real control what appears on ad.

Its all based on words in listing!

If definitely doesn't look right does it? I'm pretty sure eBay could be brought up for advertising this sort of stuff.

Its not ebay selling!

Those look like google keyword ads!

Site have no real control what appears on ad.

Its all based on words in listing!

!

There's nothing illegal about this.

The eBay ads that appear below the search results on ebay.co.uk are automatically inserted based on the search keywords. You searched for the very spy-centric "+detective +400" which means that any ads that have paid for the "detective"-keyword are shown.

It's really no different than what Google or any other search engine does - do a search on Google UK for the same string, and you'll get the same sort of results:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%2Bdetective+%2B400&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

(thumbs u

Paranoia strikes!

Not quite, I know it's not eBay running ads for the software but sponsored links, yet it just seems ironic that they adopt the holier than thou approach to sellers, then have ads running that, I am pretty certain, are selling illegal software.

Paranoia strikes!

Not quite, I know it's not eBay running ads for the software but sponsored links, yet it just seems ironic that they adopt the holier than thou approach to sellers, then have ads running that, I am pretty certain, are selling illegal software.

About 5 years ago on Ebay, when videos were still popular!, I listed a load of vids on the site. One of these was 'Triumph of the Will ' the Nazi propaganda film directed by Leni Riefenstahl. It's a well known documentary that has been used in many schools/colleges/universities as a learning resource and I had used it for 5 years when I was teaching Modern European History at university.

Somebody reported it an Ebay took it down. When I emailed them to ask why I got a standard message back about items promoting Nazisim. At the same time on Ebay you could have bought any number of National Front/BNP magazines that 'collectors' were selling. Not to mention numerous CD's by Skrewdriver and their ilk.

This was also at the Ebay height of copyrighted MP3's and DVD's. I pointed this out to them in another message but they just ignored me.

Paranoia strikes!

About 5 years ago on Ebay, when videos were still popular!, I listed a load of vids on the site. One of these was 'Triumph of the Will ' the Nazi propaganda film directed by Leni Riefenstahl. It's a well known documentary that has been used in many schools/colleges/universities as a learning resource and I had used it for 5 years when I was teaching Modern European History at university.

Somebody reported it an Ebay took it down. When I emailed them to ask why I got a standard message back about items promoting Nazisim. At the same time on Ebay you could have bought any number of National Front/BNP magazines that 'collectors' were selling. Not to mention numerous CD's by Skrewdriver and their ilk.

This was also at the Ebay height of copyrighted MP3's and DVD's. I pointed this out to them in another message but they just ignored me.

This only supports that the customer service of most large, online corporations are staffed by minimum wage stooges that are only capable of responding via automated means and unable to read or think for themselves. :( No offense to anyone that might happen to work at one of these fine businesses. :)