• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Collections NOT in the Registry?

145 posts in this topic

Why is the registry such a big deal anyway? Isn't it kind of like getting gold stars in elementary school? I know my collection is pretty good. But I'm not real concerned about how it will rate against other's collections. At the end of the day they are just a pile of cool books that I enjoy having.

Quite. :applause:

The registry is a good tool for insurance purposes in which it’s one more way you are showing proof of your comics. (also a good checklist I might add).

If you need the registry to validate your comics for your insurance agent then you may need to get a new insurance agent.

Why is the registry such a big deal anyway? Isn't it kind of like getting gold stars in elementary school? I know my collection is pretty good. But I'm not real concerned about how it will rate against other's collections. At the end of the day they are just a pile of cool books that I enjoy having.

The registry is a good tool for insurance purposes in which it’s one more way you are showing proof of your comics. (also a good checklist I might add).

If you need the registry to validate your comics for your insurance agent then you may need to get a new insurance agent.

See my last post.

Yes, anyway to proof you actually own something in an insurance claim is always an asset.

That's a problem though...the registry proves nothing. I can go create a set right now worth a few million bucks of books that I don't own. Granted, an insurance agent might not think to ask how CGC authenticates that I own a book, but if they do...oops.

Someone robbed Nic Cage? Man, his comic collecting sounds more like a headache than it was worth for him.

They stole his Action 1, Detective 27, and I think a few Marvel Mysteries, including #1 (can't remember whether this was one or not).

See my last post.

I did. (thumbs u

I reiterate - If you need the registry to validate your comics for your insurance agent then you may need to get a new insurance agent.

Someone robbed Nic Cage? Man, his comic collecting sounds more like a headache than it was worth for him.

They stole his Action 1, Detective 27, and I think a few Marvel Mysteries, including #1 (can't remember whether this was one or not).

Did he get them back? I was just reading that he sold an Action 1 for less than the first appearance of Robin in Tec 38.

Yes, anyway to proof you actually own something in an insurance claim is always an asset.

That's a problem though...the registry proves nothing. I can go create a set right now worth a few million bucks of books that I don't own. Granted, an insurance agent might not think to ask how CGC authenticates that I own a book, but if they do...oops.

I keep scans of the invoices and slabs. I don't think a registry would do much because mainly it doesn't show exactly when and how much you paid for the item.

As an Insurance Underwriter, all I am saying is just another way to prove your case. I am not saying it’s the end be all, but it’s the same as saving scans of your books and showing some type of ownership. Most people probably don’t know that unless they have a separate Insurance rider or Insurance collective policy their comics are not covered under renters or a homeowner policy, except for a little coverage if you have State Farm.

No, I could steal serial #’s that aren’t mine and use them. You mean fraud in insurance, OMG.

Jesus Christ

Did he get them back? I was just reading that he sold an Action 1 for less than the first appearance of Robin in Tec 38.

I know he opted not to pursue legal recourse, but I don't think he got the books back. I would imagine they were insured so I doubt he was out any money

Did he get them back?

No. And he was absolutely distraught and sold most of his comics because of the theft. He claimed he kept his pre-code Horror comics and his Ghost Rider comics, although I wouldn't be surprised he said he kept the Ghost Rider comics just because he was promoting the movie when he made that comment. On talk shows when asked about the theft, he would talk about how shallow and dangerous it is to obssess on material objects as much as he did his stolen comics. Stephen Fishler posted in another thread in these forums that he actually found one of his stolen Marvel Mystery issues and informed Cage as to who had it, but apparently Cage did nothing. I'm guessing he just wanted all that behind him and didn't feel like dredging up his pain. If it were me, I'd absolutely dredge up the pain and have the guy's nuts strung up high on a pole, and if there wasn't enough proof to convict him, I'd go all OJ Simpson on his butt and hire some thugs to teach him a lesson. :devil: His ability to put the past behind him probably makes Cage a much better man than me. :angel:

Did he get them back?

No. And he was absolutely distraught and sold most of his comics because of the theft. He claimed he kept his pre-code Horror comics and his Ghost Rider comics, although I wouldn't be surprised he said he kept the Ghost Rider comics just because he was promoting the movie when he made that comment. On talk shows when asked about the theft, he would talk about how shallow and dangerous it is to obssess on material objects as much as he did his stolen comics. Stephen Fishler posted in another thread in these forums that he actually found one of his stolen Marvel Mystery issues and informed Cage as to who had it, but apparently Cage did nothing. I'm guessing he just wanted all that behind him and didn't feel like dredging up his pain. If it were me, I'd absolutely dredge up the pain and have the guy's nuts strung up high on a pole, and if there wasn't enough proof to convict him, I'd go all OJ Simpson on his butt and hire some thugs to teach him a lesson. :devil: His ability to put the past behind him probably makes Cage a much better man than me. :angel:

Is it possible that some not so public details about the theft are what is keeping him from prosecuting the thief? Maybe it was some sort of strong arming by a mafia type?

Did he get them back?

Is it possible that some not so public details about the theft are what is keeping him from prosecuting the thief? Maybe it was some sort of strong arming by a mafia type?

Maybe it was Tila Tequila :o

Did he get them back?

Maybe it was Tila Tequila :o

lol

Hmmm...I forgot he's Italian...maybe he did have his uncle Francis Ford Coppolla call in a favor...

godfatherSPLASH.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mister_Comics

Too many to start naming. Lets say all the silverage Marvels and DC's with some Charlton's, Dells, Four Color thrown in. Been collecting all my life since '55.

Poster: fantastic_four

What kind of shape are some of the big books in, such as Showcase 4/22, Brave and Bold 28, JLA 1, Amazing Fantasy 15, FF 1, etc? You should scan some of the nice ones...just about everyone here LOVES seeing nice older books.

This weekend I'll take some pictures of my comics and post them. And listen to the sound of jaws hitting the floor. :)

Very cool! :applause:

This weekend I'll take some pictures of my comics and post them. And listen to the sound of jaws hitting the floor. :)

Can't wait Mister Comics. Your story is so different from anyone else's on the boards. It's simply mind-boggling for you to have still every comics you, your siblings and dad have bought. Mind-boggling, esp. for someone like me who only came to the US in the '90's. It was never a possibility for me.

Please create a separate thread for your stuff. It probably deserves it. (thumbs u