• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I walked into an LCS today ...... Disney cover prices are INSANE

39 posts in this topic

I never go into an LCS to shop for comics, but I popped into one today to get some comic bags.

I don't buy modern comics, and I see no reason why I should.

Prices are WAY too high on ALL new comics. Better to wait 6 months and buy them on ebay for less than 10% of the cover price of $4 on a new Batman book.

Of course Batman isn't even in DETECTIVE COMICS anymore because he's dead ....... but thats anyother story. Someone calling herself Batwoman stars in DETECTIVE now. :boo:

But the most depressing thing is that a single issue of WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES has a cover price of $6.95 to $7.95

Are they insane? This title is for the youngest readers, and it has the highest cover price ........... insanity

I feel sorry for todays kids, they can't buy comics for 10 cents, or even $1.

Then again, they have tons of video games, and my 6 year old niece just got her first cell phone, so maybe I don't feel so sorry for them after all.

But the most depressing thing is that a single issue of WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES has a cover price of $6.95 to $7.95

This surprises me. Haven't the European collectors said that Disney books over there are relatively cheap? Which you'd guess is a big reason that Duck books are so popular in countries like France?

Don't want to interrupt your little rant here, but you do realize that the Dell/Gold Key Walt Disney's Comics and Stories are twice the size of regular comic books, hence the higher price tag?

Most kids' comics are actually priced at a much more reasonable $2.50 - and there are plenty of non-Disney titles to choose from (thumbs u

I take my 8-year old to the shop every wednesday - she loves picking out a new book each week.

Gawd - does nobody collect these on here? They've been that way for years, and that line is now defunct and canceled. That was the old Gemstone price, that they used to run them into the ground. :sorry:

Now the titles are all run by a new company, and will all be cheap and modernized :P

It's a convenient "hopping off" point for me :sumo:

I take my 8-year old to the shop every wednesday

SMART (thumbs u

I never go into an LCS to shop for comics

NOT SMART meh

I take my 8-year old to the shop every wednesday

SMART (thumbs u

I never go into an LCS to shop for comics

NOT SMART meh

Start a shop here, and I will come...., errrr...., shop there.

Gawd - does nobody collect these on here? They've been that way for years, and that line is now defunct and canceled. That was the old Gemstone price, that they used to run them into the ground. :sorry:

Now the titles are all run by a new company, and will all be cheap and modernized :P

It's a convenient "hopping off" point for me :sumo:

I've been buying them for years. Even though the Canadian $ is almost on par with the US $ Disney books were $11 each. :cry:

I didn't realize I could cry on the boards to release my frustration, I feel better now.

Start a shop here, and I will come....

lol That statement alone puts an Oregon Bedrock City in the planning stages.

Blame Geppi and Gemstone. They were marketing those Disney comics to aging fanboy collectors, hence the higher price. I think they sold pretty poory, around 2,000-4,000 copies a month. The high price drove the owner of my LCS up the wall.

On the other hand, Gemstones Duck trade paperbacks were fairly priced and usually reprinted material that was in high demand, like the Rosa Life of Scrooge McDuck story.

I bought both the floppies and the trades at times, mostly for the Don Rosa material. Great stuff!

i don't really understand $7 for even a double size issue when you can buy the originals from the 50s and 60's in half decent shape for less than that, not to mention the ones put out 15 or 20 years ago for vastly less

i wonder if disney/marvel will enable them to put this material out cheaper or does DC not own those publishing rights nowadays?