• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I walked into an LCS today ...... Disney cover prices are INSANE

39 posts in this topic

i don't really understand $7 for even a double size issue when you can buy the originals from the 50s and 60's in half decent shape for less than that, not to mention the ones put out 15 or 20 years ago for vastly less

That's why I quit buying them after a while despite my obvious interest in the material. Got to be too much for essentially what were reprints.

Got a box full to sell. Pain to ship all that weight though :P

i specifically remember someone howling over that $6-7.95 cover price at my lcs a couple of years ago when he popped in to buy some comics for a nephiew or something. the owner basically had to keep a straight face and apologize for that being what these things cost and they cost him a lot too

i don't really understand $7 for even a double size issue when you can buy the originals from the 50s and 60's in half decent shape for less than that, not to mention the ones put out 15 or 20 years ago for vastly less

i wonder if disney/marvel will enable them to put this material out cheaper or does DC not own those publishing rights nowadays?

Boom Studios have taken over publishing the Walt Disneys Comics & Stories - they're now regular size, priced at $2.99.

That's why I quit buying them after a while despite my obvious interest in the material. Got to be too much for essentially what were reprints.

I kept buying them because they reprinted some of the European stories that I had never seen before.

Chicago needs a good LCS desperately. It's like a post-apocalyptic wasteland straight out of Road Warrior and Lord Humungous only sells moderns

:o

There's about 40 comic book stores in the Chicago-land area - including a ton within the actual city limits. Western Ave has 4-5 stores alone - including Dark Tower Comics that has one of the largest selection of $1 back issues I've ever seen (upwards of 25,000 issues).

As far as I'm concerned, Chicago is one of the best places in the US for comics ...

Start a shop here, and I will come....

lol That statement alone puts an Oregon Bedrock City in the planning stages.

Was it good for you too? I feel great :thumbsup:

Now...., check out Paisley, Oregon on a map...., :devil:

Detective Comics is really good right now. :whistle:

Let me get this straight:

- Bruce Wayne starring as Batman film does $1 billion in box office

- DC thinks this is a good time to "shake up" the title by killing Bruce Wayne

- DC decides to let Batwoman star in DETECTIVE ................ Batwoman ????????

Are you freakin' kidding me ??????????

155386-187952-batwoman_super-4.jpg

I kept buying them because they reprinted some of the European stories that I had never seen before.

Sure, but either I'd seen them before or they didn't quite choose the best material :screwy:

Prices are WAY too high on ALL new comics. Better to wait 6 months and buy them on ebay for less than 10% of the cover price of $4 on a new Batman book.

Thing is, once you factor in shipping, you're looking at pretty much the same as cover price, or more in some cases.

Plus, you're not cherrypicking that "CGC 10" from the rack anymore.

Prices are WAY too high on ALL new comics. Better to wait 6 months and buy them on ebay for less than 10% of the cover price of $4 on a new Batman book.

Thing is, once you factor in shipping, you're looking at pretty much the same as cover price, or more in some cases.

Plus, you're not cherrypicking that "CGC 10" from the rack anymore.

If I ever decide to buy all the Batman books published between 1987 and 2009 I will buy them in a huge complete run on ebay for probably 50 cents each, so shipping won't be a factor.

Chicago needs a good LCS desperately. It's like a post-apocalyptic wasteland straight out of Road Warrior and Lord Humungous only sells moderns

:o

There's about 40 comic book stores in the Chicago-land area - including a ton within the actual city limits. Western Ave has 4-5 stores alone - including Dark Tower Comics that has one of the largest selection of $1 back issues I've ever seen (upwards of 25,000 issues).

As far as I'm concerned, Chicago is one of the best places in the US for comics ...

Should've been more specific. I meant with a good stock of GA/SA back issues in something other than G/GVG/VG condition. I don't go through .50/1.00 boxes (nothing wrong with it, mind you), so there are sparingly few stores that have the type of comics I collect. Would be nice to go into a store that did.

i wonder if disney/marvel will enable them to put this material out cheaper or does DC not own those publishing rights nowadays?

Boom Studios have taken over publishing the Walt Disneys Comics & Stories - they're now regular size, priced at $2.99.

Anyone seen one of these? The artwork in Previews looked atrocious! The absolute worst Euro-kiddie Disney art. :sick:

i don't think it's nice to knock comic shops. they don't control the cover price. a number of my local shops have realistic notions re: how to price their modern overstock books. although i admit that the few new books i buy tend to be the ones I don't expect to see in the dollar or less box unless they're beat up --- so stuff like Walking Dead, Chew and a couple of others.

Anyone seen one of these? The artwork in Previews looked atrocious! The absolute worst Euro-kiddie Disney art. :sick:

Sadly that's true.

But we better wave the Pro-purchasing flag or we'll be labeled Not Smart. doh!

Detective Comics is really good right now. :whistle:

Let me get this straight:

- Bruce Wayne starring as Batman film does $1 billion in box office

- DC thinks this is a good time to "shake up" the title by killing Bruce Wayne

- DC decides to let Batwoman star in DETECTIVE ................ Batwoman ????????

Are you freakin' kidding me ??????????

155386-187952-batwoman_super-4.jpg

FWIW all the Batman titles are really, really good right now and Bruce Wayne is clearly not dead.