• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink September Focused Auction starts today...

287 posts in this topic

i don't know from Marvel but it's going to be tough to top the fugly Avengers #56 in 9.6 for almost $4k for nuttiness. a 9.6 sold in Jan for $1k and a 9.8 sold last year for $1300.

Saw that.

I think the gem of this auction is the JIM #83 CGC 9.2 white pages.

It sat for weeks on the exchange with no bids and now it's up to $44K. If I had the dough I'd easily pay that for this book.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DJourney%2BInto%2BMystery%26x%3D18%26y%3D6%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_808806&id=808806

i don't know from Marvel but it's going to be tough to top the fugly Avengers #56 in 9.6 for almost $4k for nuttiness. a 9.6 sold in Jan for $1k and a 9.8 sold last year for $1300.

Saw that.

It sat for weeks on the exchange with no bids and now it's up to $44K. If I had the dough I'd easily pay that for this book.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DJourney%2BInto%2BMystery%26x%3D18%26y%3D6%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_808806&id=808806

Nice book and a certainly one that hasn't experienced any "movie hype run-up" as of yet.

I've won about $900 in books so far, mostly late 60s Marvels in high grade @ or around multi-year GPA lows. The book I'm probably happiest to have won:

Cap103cgc94Boston.jpg

Its rare when one of my lowball bids brings in a sweet looking Pedigree, but I'll take it. Caps in particular seem to be real anemic right now....fine with me....I'm sure that will change with the Cap movie in a couple of years. Good time to buy them on the cheap.

Caps in particular seem to be real anemic right now.

BA copies aren`t anemic. Cap #157 in 9.8 went for over $1522! I don`t know if I should be shocked or whether I`m just hopelessly out of touch with the BA ultra-HG market.

Saw that.

So that's where I've seen it before?

Do you remember what the list price was when it was on the exchange?

I suspect it'll get some nice action in the last few minutes, so you may need a little more dough than $44k!

I'm loving this months auction! Last months had a great seletion but I was shutout. This month I was even able to snag some ASM's well below GPA :banana: I thought I was going to get the Avengers 11, unfortunately for the third auction in a row I missed. For three seconds it was mine! lol

Caps in particular seem to be real anemic right now.

BA copies aren`t anemic. Cap #157 in 9.8 went for over $1522! I don`t know if I should be shocked or whether I`m just hopelessly out of touch with the BA ultra-HG market.

Let me rephrase my statement, non 9.8 Caps are pretty anemic right now...

Actually, even that statement needs to be qualified. I bought a number of 9.8 Caps from both Comiclink and eBay in the last few months (including several Rocky Mountain copies) that have sold for multi-year GPA lows...we're talking pre-2005 type prices. GPA didn't even show a 9.8 sale for one of them, so imagine my surprise when my lowball bid snags a Rocky Mountain 9.8 for less then the price paid on a 9.6. :headbang:

They tended to be later Bronze/early Copper, but just the same, there are bargains to be had even in the "highest graded copy" territory if you are willing to look.

The Kool-aid factor is low so far.

Easy to predict and explain--there isn't anything new that hasn't been for sale the last few months for the handful of new top-Census collectors to pay record prices for.

Wow, so far this auction is a “buyers” auction as I have seen better ending prices on eBay.

The Kool-aid factor is low so far.

I think the formula is simple:

sluggish prices on 9.6s and below + rising certification costs = fewer people who will take the time to submit. Then, and only then, may we start working through all the excess supply of books in the marketplace.

I bought a number of nice 15 cent Caps last night for $55. These are 9.4s, with White or OW/W pages. Nice books...but at $55, you have $6 going to comiclink, figure a couple books for the shipping to c-link, $25 for the submission fees, postage to and from CGC...heck, you'd have to have only a couple of bucks into the book just to make it profitable...and then, was it really even worth it? As slabbing books becomes less and less profitable (except for the uber nosebleed grades), we'll see a thinning out of the market.

I know I'm going to only submit higher end books from now on...anything that "retails" for under $100 is just not worth it, especially since that retail of $100 today might be $50 tomorrow.

I think that formula is what you want to see if you are in the "anti-pressing" camp, as fewer submissions would likely meam more OO books from the late 60s-70s will be sold as raw, and likely not pressed beforehand.

Not to turn this into another Pressing thread, but realistically, taking away the financial incentive is still the best way to limit the practice in this hobby if it is something that concerns you.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see C-link start offering more "raw" books from their OO collections in the near future. Let's face it, if its after 1967 or so, and its only a 9.2 or 9.4, chances are you'll make better coin raw then slabbed when you consider the costs involved with certification. And heck, you may even bring back the premiums people used to pay for untouched OO raw books in the process. :o

I think that formula is what you want to see if you are in the "anti-pressing" camp, as fewer submissions would likely meam more OO books from the late 60s-70s will be sold as raw, and likely not pressed beforehand.

Not to turn this into another Pressing thread, but realistically, taking away the financial incentive is still the best way to limit the practice in this hobby if it is something that concerns you.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see C-link start offering more "raw" books from their OO collections in the near future. Let's face it, if its after 1967 or so, and its only a 9.2 or 9.4, chances are you'll make better coin raw then slabbed when you consider the costs involved with certification. And heck, you may even bring back the premiums people used to pay for untouched OO raw books in the process. :o

Wow, I would think there would be a "negative" premium on raw books, even if deemed "untouched OO."

I would pay a notch less simply because I would be taking on the risk of a lower grade.