• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink September Focused Auction starts today...

287 posts in this topic

i don't know from Marvel but it's going to be tough to top the fugly Avengers #56 in 9.6 for almost $4k for nuttiness. a 9.6 sold in Jan for $1k and a 9.8 sold last year for $1300.

Saw that.

I think the gem of this auction is the JIM #83 CGC 9.2 white pages.

It sat for weeks on the exchange with no bids and now it's up to $44K. If I had the dough I'd easily pay that for this book.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DJourney%2BInto%2BMystery%26x%3D18%26y%3D6%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_808806&id=808806

Nice book and a certainly one that hasn't experienced any "movie hype run-up" as of yet.

I've won about $900 in books so far, mostly late 60s Marvels in high grade @ or around multi-year GPA lows. The book I'm probably happiest to have won:

Cap103cgc94Boston.jpg

Its rare when one of my lowball bids brings in a sweet looking Pedigree, but I'll take it. Caps in particular seem to be real anemic right now....fine with me....I'm sure that will change with the Cap movie in a couple of years. Good time to buy them on the cheap.

I was under-bidder on that book. Dirt-cheap! I realllly want a 103 without a miswrap, but it looks like that's going to be tough. Looks like many of them have a front to back miswrap. I did end up with a 1/2 Caps though. Anybody know if Clink will provide a certificate for the Heartland stuff or is it just a fluff listing?

Wow, so far this auction is a “buyers” auction as I have seen better ending prices on eBay.

The Kool-aid factor is low so far.

As always, it depends on the book. An Avengers #9 in 9.2 went for over $4,000, the #1 in 7.0 fetched $5,200, and the #93 in 9.4 sold for $1,655. FFs were strong as well.

I think that formula is what you want to see if you are in the "anti-pressing" camp, as fewer submissions would likely meam more OO books from the late 60s-70s will be sold as raw, and likely not pressed beforehand.

Not to turn this into another Pressing thread, but realistically, taking away the financial incentive is still the best way to limit the practice in this hobby if it is something that concerns you.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see C-link start offering more "raw" books from their OO collections in the near future. Let's face it, if its after 1967 or so, and its only a 9.2 or 9.4, chances are you'll make better coin raw then slabbed when you consider the costs involved with certification. And heck, you may even bring back the premiums people used to pay for untouched OO raw books in the process. :o

Wow, I would think there would be a "negative" premium on raw books, even if deemed "untouched OO."

I would pay a notch less simply because I would be taking on the risk of a lower grade.

Perhaps you are too young to remember a time before CGC, when yes, a super sharp raw OO book could command a premium (generally a multiple of Guide). Heck, they still do...at least in the GA arena....but also in Silver and Bronze. Cons are best for that type of buying, where you can see it in person. It just not as easy with a dealer you don't know, or to do it in an online venue like eBay. Certification widens the potential customer base, that's for sure.

But believe me, considering some of the books I've seen certified as 9.4s or 9.6s in the last few years, I'd be willing to pay a premium for a nice, raw, book if its a "true NM". Honestly, if I have to check scans to see if a certified book matches up with its "assigned grade", the only real risk is whether I'm overpaying for an already overgraded book.

And I can get that from Mile High Chuck if I wanted to...

I think that formula is what you want to see if you are in the "anti-pressing" camp, as fewer submissions would likely meam more OO books from the late 60s-70s will be sold as raw, and likely not pressed beforehand.

Not to turn this into another Pressing thread, but realistically, taking away the financial incentive is still the best way to limit the practice in this hobby if it is something that concerns you.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see C-link start offering more "raw" books from their OO collections in the near future. Let's face it, if its after 1967 or so, and its only a 9.2 or 9.4, chances are you'll make better coin raw then slabbed when you consider the costs involved with certification. And heck, you may even bring back the premiums people used to pay for untouched OO raw books in the process. :o

Wow, I would think there would be a "negative" premium on raw books, even if deemed "untouched OO."

I would pay a notch less simply because I would be taking on the risk of a lower grade.

Perhaps you are too young to remember a time before CGC, when yes, a super sharp raw OO book could command a premium (generally a multiple of Guide). Heck, they still do...at least in the GA arena....but also in Silver and Bronze. Cons are best for that type of buying, where you can see it in person. It just not as easy with a dealer you don't know, or to do it in an online venue like eBay. Certification widens the potential customer base, that's for sure.

But believe me, considering some of the books I've seen certified as 9.4s or 9.6s in the last few years, I'd be willing to pay a premium for a nice, raw, book if its a "true NM". Honestly, if I have to check scans to see if a certified book matches up with its "assigned grade", the only real risk is whether I'm overpaying for an already overgraded book.

I get what you're saying. But when I said "negative premium" I was referring to when compared to a slab copy.

I've no doubt that a truly nice raw copy would sell for premium of a guide price. But I can't imagine it commanding a premium over an identically slabbed copy was my point. Is that what you think?

I get what you're saying. But when I said "negative premium" I was referring to when compared to a slab copy.

I've no doubt that a truly nice raw copy would sell for premium of a guide price. But I can't imagine it commanding a premium over an identically slabbed copy was my point. Is that what you think?

Happens all the time in GA. And if you are an advanced collector, and are confident in your abilities to spot resto and grade, sure you would pay a premium for a book if its deserving.

It really depends on what we're talking about too. For example, GPA on a Daredevil # 131 in 9.6 is all over the place, $300 on the low, $1,000 on the high....could a gorgeous raw 9.6 command $500-$700 at a show if displayed by a prominent dealer? Sure it could.

A great book is a great book. Not everyone needs a slab of plastic and a label to tell them as much.

Wow, so far this auction is a “buyers” auction as I have seen better ending prices on eBay.

As always, it depends on the book. An Avengers #9 in 9.2 went for over $4,000, the #1 in 7.0 fetched $5,200, and the #93 in 9.4 sold for $1,655. FFs were strong as well.

but i can recall 3 copies of #9 in 9.2 that went for >$6k.

$9300 for FF #50 in 9.4???????????????? :o :o :o The insanity continues...... :screwy: You know this will be pressed next week!

Just my 2c

How do you know it hasn't been pressed already? :screwy:

My mistake......I meant "pressed again". :makepoint:

Lord Rahl guide us.....Lord Rahl protect us......

Happens all the time in GA. And if you are an advanced collector, and are confident in your abilities to spot resto and grade, sure you would pay a premium for a book if its deserving.

It really depends on what we're talking about too. For example, GPA on a Daredevil # 131 in 9.6 is all over the place, $300 on the low, $1,000 on the high....could a gorgeous raw 9.6 command $500-$700 at a show if displayed by a prominent dealer? Sure it could.

A great book is a great book. Not everyone needs a slab of plastic and a label to tell them as much.

I see.

Alas, "advanced collector" is definitely not me as far as spotting restoration and making an accurate grade.

$9300 for FF #50 in 9.4???????????????? :o :o :o The insanity continues...... :screwy: You know this will be pressed next week!

Just my 2c

How do you know it hasn't been pressed already? :screwy:

My mistake......I meant "pressed again". :makepoint:

Lord Rahl guide us.....Lord Rahk protect us......

I never even made the connection to the Seeker series. doh!

Man, you guys are looking at a different auction from me. Mind-boggling prices where the "seller" was probably ecstatic that I've seen so far:

9.8 Avengers #100--$1550

9.8 Captain America #157--$1522

9.4 GL #76--$18,250 (about $4000 more than the record price set by a better centered 9.4 copy at the last auction--suddenly the $35K price for the 9.6 copy doesn't seem so unreasonable :insane: )

9.2 JIM #83 is sitting at $52,000 with 49 minutes to go. Actually, this price isn't so shocking based on recent trends, as several of us have projected that a 9.4 copy would now break the $100K mark. It will be interesting to see where this copy ends up, though.

9.2 JLA #83 is sitting at $52,000 with 49 minutes to go. Actually, this price isn't so shocking based on recent trends, as several of us have projected that a 9.4 copy would now break the $100K mark. It will be interesting to see where this copy ends up, though.

I think you mean 9.2 JIM #83 but I know where your heart is.

:foryou:

What's shocking is that you probably could have bought this book off the exchange for mid $40's and turned a profit if you had the $$ as it sat there for weeks with no bites.

I was trying to figure out a way to afford it but woe is me.

:cry:

9.2 JLA #83 is sitting at $52,000 with 49 minutes to go. Actually, this price isn't so shocking based on recent trends, as several of us have projected that a 9.4 copy would now break the $100K mark. It will be interesting to see where this copy ends up, though.

:foryou:

What's shocking is that you probably could have bought this book off the exchange for mid $40's and turned a profit if you had the $$ as it sat there for weeks with no bites.

I was trying to figure out a way to afford it but woe is me.

:cry:

I was thinking the same thing :frustrated:

doh! Thanks for the catch, just went back and fixed my post! (thumbs u

There are quite a few collectors who don't check out the regular listings. Even those who do often procrastinate, particularly if a book is listed at a price well above previous records, and even more so if the book just continues to sit there, because they figure. Once it moves to an auction, the whole dynamic changes because if you don't win it, it's gone.

It's why I don't understand why people ever sell highly desirable books in fixed price listings.

I was thinking the same thing :frustrated:

I would have bought it to keep.

:cloud9:

I actually talked to Tomis about how they handle time payments but with a new home on the horizon I just could not even think about it.