• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Facebook do that ?

21 posts in this topic

I'm not a huge fan of theses social network web sites, but i registered on Facebook a few times ago to please some of my friends.

Tonight, i was amazingly surprised by one of the "friend suggestion" facebook offered:

Guess who ? doh!

How the F%*£# does Facebook do that ? (shrug)

It reads in your registered email for contacts that match.

You mean Facebook goes into your email application and reads the contacts? :eek: That's pretty invasive.

What if you use an online email application like gmail or yahoo mail... can it get into that or just Outlook which is resident on your hard drive?

You mean Facebook goes into your email application and reads the contacts? :eek: That's pretty invasive.

What if you use an online email application like gmail or yahoo mail... can it get into that or just Outlook which is resident on your hard drive?

FB asks you first, it doesn't do it automatically. :gossip:

FB asks you first, it doesn't do it automatically. :gossip:

Oh, now that you mention it, I recall this. I clicked "no."

from what I can tell FB just assumes you may know someone if you have a couple of friends in common. Friend one or two people at your job and soon everyone at your job on FB will come up as people you may know...

They have several different ways of coming up with friend suggestions. As people mentioned WITH PERMISSION they can crawl your address book for people, they also have a friend of a friend thing that kicks in, which is where you'll see a lot of people that work with you.