• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic artists in advertising

15 posts in this topic

So I brought home a few boxes of magazines from my parents' house, the most of which are heavy metal related :headbang: (Circus was my magazine of choice back in the day). Anyway, my eyes have become a little more trained to notice the art in advertising instead of just blowing by the ad for the next article. While thumbing through some of the books, I came across these:

10/31/85, inside back cover, Dave Stevens

Stevens.jpg

3/31/86, Boris Vallejo

Vallejo.jpg

I've owned that cassette since it came out and never knew it was Vallejo cover art.

Any other examples that you've come across in more mainstream advertising?

a lot of comic artists who did commercial illustration can be found in the ads within comics. jack davis (slim jim, spalding) & neal adams (abc tv cartoons) come to mind since they did a lot of commercial art. russ heath did a roman toy soldiers ad on the back of 1960s comics. going further back, cc beck did tootsie roll ads and frazetta did some anti-smoking & red cross public service ads. anyone remember those awful hostess cupcakes & pies ads with hulk, spidey, batman & others in 70s comics?

it's always interesting to see recognizable artists in less conventional places.

here's more ads for boss guitar effects from the 80s- another ad by dave stevens & 2 by neal adams.

i wish i ordered these posters...

j

stevensad001.jpg

adamsad001.jpg

drrythmn.jpg