• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which of these SA/BA books should I slab?

51 posts in this topic

Since you're in the UK you should factor in the cost of shipping and insurance. I know from experience how this can mount up especially if the exchange rate isn't in your favour.

So, let's say I submitted 3 books. Let's assume I'm using coupons to send them so it's just shipping and insurance to take it account. How much would you say it would cost to send those books out insured to CGC?

Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinions on what to slab and what not to btw. I want to get as many different views as possible before deciding what I want to do.

Shipping out three well packed books International Signed For will cost you around £15. CGCs return shipping for three books will work out at around £55. Plus the fee of membership another £80. That would mean £150 to get any of those books slabbed.

I would be inclined to find some higher $$$ value books to use your coupons on.

Amazing Spider-Man 41 6.0 maybe

Amazing Spider-Man 50 5.0 maybe

Amazing Spider-Man 66 9.0 yes

Amazing Spider-Man 67 9.0 yes

Amazing Spider-Man 79 9.0/9.2 yes

Amazing Spider-Man 98 9.2/9.4 yes

Amazing Spider-Man 122 7.5 maybe

Avengers 7 4.0 God no

Avengers 11 5.5 no

Avengers 57 7.5/8.0 no

Batman 249 9.0 yes

Batman 252 9.yes

Conan The Barbarian 23 9.0/9.2 no

Fantastic Four 10 4.0/4.5 no (maybe at 5.0)

Fantastic Four 49 4.0/4.5 God no

Fantastic Four 50 4.0 God no

Fantastic Four 69 9.0 maybe

Incredible Hulk 106 9.0 maybe

Incredible Hulk 166 9.2 no

Iron Fist 14 7.5/8.0 (maybe 8.5) maybe

Journey Into Mystery 95 6.0 Maybe Sell it to me raw!!!! :cloud9:

Journey Into Mystery 118 4.0 God no

Nick Fury: Agent Of Shield 1 8.5 yes

Nick Fury: Agent Of Shield 7 8.5 maybe

Savage She-Hulk 1 9.2/9.4 huh??? No idea with modern krap

Silver Surfer 4 4.0 no .... nah (5.0 maybe)

Spider-Woman 1 9.4/9.6 modern... :sick:

Tales Of Suspense 59 4.0 no

Tales Of Suspense 63 4.5 God no

Tales Of Suspense 65 4.0 God no

Tales Of Suspense 66 5.0 God no

Tales Of Suspense 80 4.0 Oh my God no

Tales Of Suspense 99 9.0 Maybe

Tales To Astonish 57 4.0 no

Tales To Astonish 59 4.0 no

Tales To Astonish 64 7.0 no

Tales To Astonish 86 8.0 no

Tales To Astonish 90 6.5 God no

Tales To Astonish 91 Maybe 8.5 Sell it to me Raw!!! :cloud9:

Tales To Astonish 100 8.0 no

Uncanny X-Men 8 6.5 yes

Uncanny X-Men 17 5.0 no

Uncanny X-Men 50 8.0 no.... maybe ask an X-Men expert

Uncanny X-Men 63 9.0 yes

Uncanny X-Men 97 9.0 maybe

Uncanny X-Men 112 9.0 maybe

Uncanny X-Men 124 9.0 modern... :sick:

Uncanny X-Men 133 9.2 modern... :sick:

Uncanny X-Men 137 9.0 modern... :sick:

Since you're in the UK you should factor in the cost of shipping and insurance. I know from experience how this can mount up especially if the exchange rate isn't in your favour.

So, let's say I submitted 3 books. Let's assume I'm using coupons to send them so it's just shipping and insurance to take it account. How much would you say it would cost to send those books out insured to CGC?

Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinions on what to slab and what not to btw. I want to get as many different views as possible before deciding what I want to do.

I couldn't accurately answer your question about the shipping costs without looking into it. The insurance cost would depend on the value of the books you decided to send.

A lot of the books you have listed aren't that expensive to pick up in those grades slabbed so what I usually do is buy them already slabbed and sell my raw undercopy. Also, I don't mean to cause offense but I'm not sure how experienced in grading you are so it's possible that CGC may grade them lower than you expect.

Uncanny X-Men 112 9.0

Uncanny X-Men 124 9.0

Uncanny X-Men 133 9.2

Uncanny X-Men 137 9.0

BTW, I haven't looked at the census but there must be LOADS of these already slabbed and since a lot of collectors would be buying them in 9.4 - 9.8 grades, those that are slabbed in this grade would be very cheap.

I couldn't accurately answer your question about the shipping costs without looking into it. The insurance cost would depend on the value of the books you decided to send.

A lot of the books you have listed aren't that expensive to pick up in those grades slabbed so what I usually do is buy them already slabbed and sell my raw undercopy. Also, I don't mean to cause offense but I'm not sure how experienced in grading you are so it's possible that CGC may grade them lower than you expect.

To be honest, all those grades are the ones made by the people I bought them off and I'm taking their word for it. So, there's all sorts of variables right there!

Factoring in the unknown-ness of the grades, the cost of shipping to and from the UK, and the values of these books, I would say not a single one of these books is worth slabbing if you're going to sell.

Being in the UK, you might find an experienced board member who would be willing to look at the books with you and determine what you really have.

Seriously...none of these books are superstars in these grades.

Would using CGC's pre-screening service be an option? At least then the books will be sent back to me if they don't meet the grades I'm going for.

I'm on GPA right now looking up these books. ASM 98 recently sold for $160 in 9.2 while the last 9.4 sale a year ago was at $255. The book cost me $100. ASM 66 sold for $142 in 9.0 back in July and my copy cost me $70. So those two might be worth sending to CGC.

Would using CGC's pre-screening service be an option? At least then the books will be sent back to me if they don't meet the grades I'm going for.

But then you'll be paying £80 just to not get them graded.

Factoring in the unknown-ness of the grades, the cost of shipping to and from the UK, and the values of these books, I would say not a single one of these books is worth slabbing if you're going to sell.

Being in the UK, you might find an experienced board member who would be willing to look at the books with you and determine what you really have.

For my first submission, Flaming Telepath went through about 100 of my books that I thought were candidates and he picked out 8 that were worthwhile. Since then, I've only done one more submission and the exchange rate hammered me with the costs so it's worth looking into just how much the shipping insurance and exchange rate will come to and I'm sure that you'll find that it's cheaper to just buy the books already slabbed if you want.

To be honest, all those grades are the ones made by the people I bought them off and I'm taking their word for it. So, there's all sorts of variables right there!

There are many sellers who overgrade (some deliberately) so taking their word for it would be a mistake. What part of the UK do you live in?If you are ever in the Hemel Hempstead area, I'd be happy to give you my opinion on them. Or if you go to the Birmingham comic con, I'll be there along with a few other boardies.

doh! Yes, of course. Excuse my silliness!

As I said earlier, I don't plan on selling any of these right now and may never do (unless I really need to for financial reasons). It's just that I have paid to become a CGC member and feel that I should actually use the benefits it gives me. It would only be 3 books for my initial submission and the grading costs would be covered by the coupons. And there one or two books I have (like the FF 10) that I feel would be better off kept in a slab rather than a acid-free bag and board.

There are many sellers who overgrade (some deliberately) so taking their word for it would be a mistake. What part of the UK do you live in?If you are ever in the Hemel Hempstead area, I'd be happy to give you my opinion on them. Or if you go to the Birmingham comic con, I'll be there along with a few other boardies.

I live in London so I'm not exactly close. I know it's no replacement for seeing them in person but perhaps I could email you scans of some of the ones I would particularly like to get done?

You can email them me as well if you like, I don't mind giving them a look over Adam.

I only joined associate as I don't have any books worth using the coupons on. Now if I'd waited to sub my Batman #171 and Tec #400 using coupons it would have been well worth it.

doh! Yes, of course. Excuse my silliness!

As I said earlier, I don't plan on selling any of these right now and may never do (unless I really need to for financial reasons). It's just that I have paid to become a CGC member and feel that I should actually use the benefits it gives me. It would only be 3 books for my initial submission and the grading costs would be covered by the coupons. And there one or two books I have (like the FF 10) that I feel would be better off kept in a slab rather than a acid-free bag and board.

If I had to pick 3 it would probably be X Men # 63, FF # 69 and one of the late SA Spideys, but it would depend on how accurate the grade is.

I live in London so I'm not exactly close. I know it's no replacement for seeing them in person but perhaps I could email you scans of some of the ones I would particularly like to get done?

Cool, in fact it might be a good idea to post them on the boards to get a consensus of the opinion of grade. (thumbs u

For my first submission, Flaming Telepath went through about 100 of my books that I thought were candidates and he picked out 8 that were worthwhile. Since then, I've only done one more submission and the exchange rate hammered me with the costs so it's worth looking into just how much the shipping insurance and exchange rate will come to and I'm sure that you'll find that it's cheaper to just buy the books already slabbed if you want.

That's why pre-screen rocks. :cloud9: I'm currently pre-screening my next pre-screen as we speak.

I would have submitted *maybe* 50-60 books total without the pre-screen.

Even if it's just a friend doing the pre-screen, it is VITAL to have at LEAST one other pair of eyes look at your books, unless you've subbed 100s of books or more, and have the safety net of a pre-screen....and even then, it's still helpful.