• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which of these SA/BA books should I slab?

51 posts in this topic

You can email them me as well if you like, I don't mind giving them a look over Adam.

I only joined associate as I don't have any books worth using the coupons on. Now if I'd waited to sub my Batman #171 and Tec #400 using coupons it would have been well worth it.

Thanks, Gav. The FF 10 is already up on your comics server. I'll PM you the image links. It's a bit late to be scanning books now so I'll wait until morning (or more likely the afternoon) and add a few more for you to look at. Quite a few of these comics haven't actually arrived here yet due to the disruption with the postal service at the moment.

You can email them me as well if you like, I don't mind giving them a look over Adam.

I only joined associate as I don't have any books worth using the coupons on. Now if I'd waited to sub my Batman #171 and Tec #400 using coupons it would have been well worth it.

Thanks, Gav. The FF 10 is already up on your comics server. I'll PM you the image links. It's a bit late to be scanning books now so I'll wait until morning (or more likely the afternoon) and add a few more for you to look at. Quite a few of these comics haven't actually arrived here yet due to the disruption with the postal service at the moment.

I've noticed packages are taking ages to arrive, especially ones from Stateside.

Yeah just PM me or post the links and I'll definitely take a look. Like Gaz said, if you could make it to Birmingham CC bring them with you so we can see them in hand.

It might be worth you sitting tight and holding onto your coupons for a while in case something else turns up mate.

Would using CGC's pre-screening service be an option? At least then the books will be sent back to me if they don't meet the grades I'm going for.

But then you'll be paying £80 just to not get them graded.

doh! Yes, of course. Excuse my silliness!

As I said earlier, I don't plan on selling any of these right now and may never do (unless I really need to for financial reasons). It's just that I have paid to become a CGC member and feel that I should actually use the benefits it gives me. It would only be 3 books for my initial submission and the grading costs would be covered by the coupons. And there one or two books I have (like the FF 10) that I feel would be better off kept in a slab rather than a acid-free bag and board.

Here's my suggestion...if you have time, go to a Con and bring your best books with you. Contact a board member who has extensive experience submitting, and ask them to help you go over them. If it's only a handful, I don't think they'd have a problem.

Then...if they decide none of your books is worth subbing, look around at the Con and try and find three really nice books that would make the effort worthwhile. It CAN be done! (in fact, a few of us do it almost for a living. ;) )

If you're TRULY not interested in selling them, then....honestly...it doesn't matter what you send in, so long as they are books that really mean something to you. I have quiite a few slabs that have absolutely no monetary value, but which I would not part with for crazy money.

:cloud9:

Me personally, I would go with the ASM 122 and the XM 97...but as for a third one

(shrug)

Cool, in fact it might be a good idea to post them on the boards to get a consensus of the opinion of grade. (thumbs u

Yep yep. (thumbs u Post the best ones in the grading forum. Better to get a sense of whether the dealer grades are accurate, than to be disappointed later.

Cool, in fact it might be a good idea to post them on the boards to get a consensus of the opinion of grade. (thumbs u

Yep yep. (thumbs u Post the best ones in the grading forum. Better to get a sense of whether the dealer grades are accurate, than to be disappointed later.

Im pretty sure he already has posted each and every one of those books in the grading forum. This is the likely culmination of that barrage.

Honestly, and take my opinion as someone who doesn't slab, I don't believe any of the books are slab worthy. If only to avoid your own ultimate dissapointment in the final grades. Unless its a big name key book a middle grade will be nothing but a big "Meh".

Thanks for all the input so far, guys. Anyone else want to offer their 2 cents?

Well, one thing that concerns me is that, if the books have not been bought on the boards, from a reputed quality seller, I would be extremely surprised if the grades claimed are the grades that CGC would give them. If they are eBay purchases, or from LCSs, you're likely to be on a loser.

Sorry to be such a downer, mate, but I don't want you to end up out-of-pocket and extremely disappointed. (thumbs u

I'd go for ASM 98 (if you think the grade will reach that high), and AOS 1.

I'm not sure what else would be worth doing - It's a hard decision - I'd personally just do your most personal and favorite comic and not think about the value for the third choice.