• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAYPAL requiring SS# AND personal credit check???

17 posts in this topic

OK , so I build up over $10 K on Paypal this month on E-bay sales,etc. and I go to trans. 5 K into personal account so I don't have so much in PP b/c of horror stories and so they restrict my account until I provide my SS# and do a PERSONAL credit report check to verify my identity??? :mad:

I wanted to buy some comics today !! :pullhair:

Sorry bro. The lesson is NEVER take more than 2500 out in a 2 day span. The make your life hell if you take the money out too quick :sorry: There are all kinds of horror stories and they all share that same element: a large withdrawal, or several smaller withdrawals made in the same day or two :(

OK , so I build up over $10 K on Paypal this month on E-bay sales,etc. and I go to trans. 5 K into personal account so I don't have so much in PP b/c of horror stories and so they restrict my account until I provide my SS# and do a PERSONAL credit report check to verify my identity??? :mad:

It just seems that eBay and Paypal are determined to burn every bridge and screw over every good customer before all is said and done. Wonderful business model. (tsk)

Looks like you have your own horror story to add now.

...Unless it's a phishing scam. Did you actually speak with someone there?

Looks like you have your own horror story to add now.

...Unless it's a phishing scam. Did you actually speak with someone there?

Thanks ! I don't think it's phishing. It appears legit , however I am going to speak to someone there before I give out my SS#.

B~

First I would call them to be sure it's legit. Second I would not take out so much money in a short period of time. The problem may be the new money laundering laws put in place since 9-11 to prevent terrorists from moving money around.

My bank in a small town that never even ASKS for ID when I cash a check. Makes me come inside the bank and show further ID and asks me a series of questions before allowing me to cash chacks over 1,500 bucks.

Seriously I could send any of the kids to the bank with a check for $1400 and the bank would great them by name w/o checking ID cash it. 1500 and it wouldn't happen.

I'm hoping it's now resolved. I was able to speak with rep. on phone and she indicated that restriction was lifted once I gave her last 4 digits of SS# and gave her old address that was listed on credit report. Hopefully that's it.

B~

It just seems that eBay and Paypal are determined to burn every bridge and screw over every good customer before all is said and done. Wonderful business model. (tsk)

It's worth noting that although it's easy to come down on eBay and PayPal for tightening the screws a little more every year, NO other big companies who have evaluated their markets have ever tried to do what it takes to successfully compete with them. And there are dozens and dozens of companies who could rush in and probably steal their market if they thought there was profit in it. On consumer-to-consumer-level financial transactions, you've got to guess that EVERY bank has taken a look at doing this, but obviously none at all have deemed it worthwhile.

Enabling consumer to consumer e-commerce just seems like a big pain in the butt with very tight profit margins, so if eBay and PayPal are scaling themselves out of the individual-level market ever so slowly, it doesn't surprise me too much. (shrug)

I think a lot of this has to do with anti-money laundering laws/regulations more than anything else so while its easy to blame EBay/Paypal its probably not their decision to make.
could also be for account protection...I don't know the details, but it wouldn't bother me to verify my account before a large withdrawl...in fact, i am one of those that actually like the cashier to ask for my ID when I use a CC...with fraud these days, better to be safe than sorry!

I think a lot of this has to do with anti-money laundering laws/regulations more than anything else so while its easy to blame EBay/Paypal its probably not their decision to make.
could also be for account protection...I don't know the details, but it wouldn't bother me to verify my account before a large withdrawl...in fact, i am one of those that actually like the cashier to ask for my ID when I use a CC...with fraud these days, better to be safe than sorry!

I agree ! And , actually it turned out to be no hassle at all , as I had expected. I actually appreciate it and am glad to see the level of protection especially w/ all the identity theft,etc. in the news.

B~

I agree ! And , actually it turned out to be no hassle at all , as I had expected. I actually appreciate it and am glad to see the level of protection especially w/ all the identity theft,etc. in the news.

B~

(thumbs u