• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huh? RNM??? Batman 197 cgc 9.4 COW $347

18 posts in this topic

They are scarcer than one might think in true NM, but RNM at 4X guide? The price it got to would be about top market - and I also don't see that much growth in these late Silver Age Batmans. Except for 179 and 181. Nice books.

179 - second SA Riddler? Thoughts?

They are scarcer than one might think in true NM, but RNM at 4X guide? The price it got to would be about top market - and I also don't see that much growth in these late Silver Age Batmans. Except for 179 and 181. Nice books.

I kind of agree,...I think it's time for the Bronze keys to start defining.....Batman #244 will be the next book to make it big....

I kind of agree,...I think it's time for the Bronze keys to start defining.....Batman #244 will be the next book to make it big....

I have been watching that book for a long while. Last 9.6 I remember was part of a run that SNE had up and it went for like $275 plus shipping. I want one very badly to go with my set but when it guides for $50 and that book is the easiest thing to find if you just want a copy I thought that $275 was an excellent realized price. . .

Here's another question for all you bat fans - what does everyone think about the whole "1st SA Appearance" jive (ie Bats 155, 171, 189, 234 for Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow and Two Face). Are they just manufactured keys or will they hold their key status over time 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have been watching that book for a long while. Last 9.6 I remember was part of a run that SNE had up and it went for like $275 plus shipping. I want one very badly to go with my set but when it guides for $50 and that book is the easiest thing to find if you just want a copy I thought that $275 was an excellent realized price. . .

Here's another question for all you bat fans - what does everyone think about the whole "1st SA Appearance" jive (ie Bats 155, 171, 189, 234 for Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow and Two Face). Are they just manufactured keys or will they hold their key status over time 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

#155 is hard in high grade due to the white cover. #171 used to ne in demand but has lost it's luster IMO. The #189 is a super-pak book so there are a few hig hgraders out there.....#234 is a killer Adams book and has alwasy been in demand.

btw...the bats #244 that went for $275...was it a 9.4 or 9.6?

#155 is hard in high grade due to the white cover. #171 used to ne in demand but has lost it's luster IMO. The #189 is a super-pak book so there are a few hig hgraders out there.....#234 is a killer Adams book and has alwasy been in demand.

If memory serves, it was a 9.6 that I bid $200 for and you had a $250 max bid . . .893scratchchin-thumb.gif I want to say it was mid to end September?

Why do you think that 171 has lost its demand? I think that the riddler has more potential than the penguin personally but like the scarecrow the best of the three but do agree with you that due to the 3 pak and the existance of it seems to be at least 3 boston copies that one is readily available.

Do you think 234 is boosted more for the Adams or more for the two-face or does the killer combination just leave the rest in the dust?

DAM

Why do you think that 171 has lost its demand? I think that the riddler has more potential than the penguin personally but like the scarecrow the best of the three but do agree with you that due to the 3 pak and the existance of it seems to be at least 3 boston copies that one is readily available.

DAM

I thought that 171 has lost some pull because I though Riddler really shot up in popularity after Jim Carey's apperance as the Riddler in Batman Forever and the book maintained it's value for a decent amount of time but the movie has now been pushed into the deep reccesses of time to it's popularity has also dwindled a bit.

If memory serves, it was a 9.6 that I bid $200 for and you had a $250 max bid . . .893scratchchin-thumb.gif I want to say it was mid to end September?

Do you think 234 is boosted more for the Adams or more for the two-face or does the killer combination just leave the rest in the dust?

DAM

i had a super sharp 9.6 of bats #244 and traded that for an xmen #63 in 9.8. then sold the xmen to josh. grin.gif

it is just an opinion on the #171. The #155 is not that sought after either but IMO just harder to find. Census #s are about even. Ther eare a few 9.6s #189s and i was offered the boston copy (s) but did not want to pay bechera what he was lookin 4.

the #234 has a good story and along with #251 is a great one book tale. the adams art no doubt boosts its appeal.

155 - tough in HG but a manufactured key. As I recall the Penguin had appeared a mere four years earlier and there was no noticeable character/look development in that time.

171 - For some reason this book gets short shrift but I rate it as it's the first appearance of the Riddler for 17 years. Great cover.

179 - 2nd S.A. Riddler. V. scarce in HG partly due to the black cover, and I rate that book. Not really a key though.

189 - Not as important as 181 - the Scarecrow has turned out to be a minor player (I always liked him, especially in the B.A.)

234 - Such a classic, although HGs are not impossible to find. Not as important as 232, or the genuinely underrated 251 (First modern, psychopathic Joker). Great Adams work.

227 - Most underrated Adams Batman. Not a key, and he only did the cover, but OS hugely undervalues this book.

171 - For some reason this book gets short shrift but I rate it as it's the first appearance of the Riddler for 17 years. Great cover.

gossip.gif Only Riddlers 3rd over all appearance. Same goes for Scarecrow in Batman 189. A lot of the other guys like Penguin had a handful apperances in the Golden age while these 2 guys only appeared twice in the GA.

gossip.gif Only Riddlers 3rd over all appearance. Same goes for Scarecrow in Batman 189. A lot of the other guys like Penguin had a handful apperances in the Golden age while these 2 guys only appeared twice in the GA.

Good points. I guess Batman 171 should be worth more for that reason too (hard to believe he only appeared twice in the G.A.) ......and it's a book you rarely see in 9.4 or better. I sold a CGC 9.2 copy last year for about $740, so demand is there.

234 has one of the best Batman covers Adams did IMO. This will always be in demand.

I think #171 has been stagnant for a quite a few years now (as compared to #155). I think the Hush storyline has sparked interest again. IMHO #171 does have room to move. I would love to get my hands on a #179 in HG because they are truly scarce in that condition.

I still like #181 and personally regard it as a key as Ivy has played a major role in recent years along with Harley. I would rather spend dollars on an HG Ivy than a Scarecrow.

That price on the #197 was extremely good for a C-OW. I cannot believe it did not meet reserve. Either the seller has sunk a load of money into it or he is on the pipe. insane.gif

That price on the #197 was extremely good for a C-OW. I cannot believe it did not meet reserve. Either the seller has sunk a load of money into it or he is on the pipe. insane.gif

Could be both. It's not a key (4th Catwoman appearance in the Silver Age??) and it's an okay, but not exceptional cover. I don't even think her 1st S.A. appearance is that important, as she was in many Batman/Detective stories up until the end of the G.A.

I forgot about Batman 169 (2nd Penguin S.A. appearance). Not a key really, but maybe the definitive Penguin cover. Nifty book.

I think that the 171 is a better book in the long run than the 189 or the 155, but that 155 is a b*** of a book to find in high grade. I see the 171 in 9.0 and 9.2 every now and then, but i have yet to see a 9.2 #155 - PCE inc has a Bats 171 that he wants an insane $ 12000 !! - course, it's a 9.4...but there is no market for that price.....