• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best modern "investment" IMO

131 posts in this topic

Damn fine investment. I started buying them whenever they came up last year, and I noticed the trouble that you always find on the spines of these books. A 9.4 at $150 is a bargain, and if anyone is selling one at this price, I would be happy to take them off your hands.

I have 3 copies with CGC at the moment, but I don't think they will go above 9.4, but 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I also think that the Supes #75 platinums are a good buy, but if you buy it pre-bagged then you have to be careful. I bought 4 copies prebagged of Ebay in November time. 2 were respectable, probably 9.0/9.2 but the others...... Dealer incentives or not, they had been abused. Obviously sold as NM, as they hadnt been opened, but one had a vertical crease the entire way down. And the other, well, lets just say I don't know how it got into such bad condition when it was still inside the bad, I could drive over my copies and still not make them look so bad insane.gif

Anyway, good choice Dam!

Id say Wolverin 145 nabisco var, Sups/Spidey 1 platinum/ALmost any GIJoe from 3-27 especially 21,24,26-27, Most Amazing Spideys hold their value ok, especially from 280-301 (especially 301) and the Kraven saga. Cool covers do ok too ya know.

Perhaps buy some 9.6's and take a gamble at resubmitting them for a higher grade?

Do you guys expect Ultimate Spidey to take a dive in value since so many out there? I do. Thoughts?

And of course, the GS X-men 1, any 94-say 142? 143 and beyond you can hang up. Id steer clear of anything post 1990 with a few mentioned exceptions. Just find a stable title that there are only like none to 3 9.8's out there with a hella lotta 9.6s like Spidey 301 or Spec Spidey 127.

And of course, follow the speculator trail and bank on 9.9's and 10.0's. makepoint.gifsleeping.gif

it would be very interesting to see what a spidey platinum in 9.8 would go for.that is one comic i really think that there will never be a 9.8.if one came up i would think it would go over 2k easy.#300 and #301 are also up there and like havok said the kraven story line had some of the best spidey covers and are also hard to find in 9.8.

A spiddy platinum #1 9.8 is priceless! I agree with you in the fact that 'probably', a copy does not exist. But if it did you still may be able to get it cheap as it is 'modern'. 10 years time, that would be a BIG ONE!

The Wolverine #145 Nabisco is tough based on condition. First it was sent in the mail to those who mailed away for it. The book has a black cover on both the front and back and it shows finger prints very well. Needless to say if you purchased one after the inital offer it is tough to find copies that have not been handled much.

How about Elektra #3 "nude" version? A CGC 9.8 goes for big bucks at the moment.

personally (since i have a 9.6 nude) i would love to see it BUT i think its actually cooling off a bit at the moment. short term if there are a few movies (elektra and daredevil 2) might hop a bit but i would look for it to die off in a few years completely. just an opinion.

one from the far side of the tracks

early faust books. tim vigil does great art and if he ever goes mainstream his early faust stuff will be good to have. the early grips stuff is a bit too low budget to get the big bucks but faust is a better book. if he crosses to a big house (marvel dc etc) he could be as big as jim lee or linsner easily.

Does the best "investment" mean that it's currently cheap, but has potential to grow?

Most of the books mentioned aren't cheap.

The best "investment" is probably multiple high-grade copies of some low-dollar,

low availability (but high-interest) books.

If it's already a $100 or $1,000 modern... it's got plenty of room to fall.

one from the far side of the tracks

early faust books. tim vigil does great art and if he ever goes mainstream his early faust stuff will be good to have. the early grips stuff is a bit too low budget to get the big bucks but faust is a better book. if he crosses to a big house (marvel dc etc) he could be as big as jim lee or linsner easily.

Although I love Vigil's work I have to strongly disagree about this statement. First off, Faust sells for maybe 25% now what it did ten years ago and adult oriented comics in general usually have very short lives as far as being "hot". Even if Vigil did go mainstream I cannot see those old Faust, EO, Grips, and related titles ever getting anywhere near the attention they once did (remember Badger?). However, along the same lines, check out Armando Huerta and his art on the 1997-1999 Double Impact books (RAW, Art Attack, various DI titles, etc.). In that case you have an artist of the calibur of Olivia and Boris starting to NOW get mainstream attention and those DI books are just starting to become noticed. VERY rare stuff, most people don't even know these books exist.

Whatever ends up becoming the best modern investment from the last ten years or so we won't even know until ten years from now. Who knew Hulk #181 or Spidey #129 would be what they are five years after they had been published? Speculating on the nude Electra cover? Within a few years those books will be $5 a pop, just like the fate of the Batman: Death In The Family issues. foreheadslap.gif -----Sid

Does the best "investment" mean that it's currently cheap, but has potential to grow?

Investment - for this case: an asset that will grow above and beyond its competitors.

Most of the books mentioned aren't cheap.

The best "investment" is probably multiple high-grade copies of some low-dollar,

low availability (but high-interest) books.

If it's already a $100 or $1,000 modern... it's got plenty of room to fall.

I hear you on that, but then you start getting into the whole investing vs. labor discussion 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am sure I could make a lot more money scouring the 50 cent bins for some nice pre-unity valiants and if I found one the payoff would be tremendous in terms of % but not in dollar. I don't mind talking about a few hundred dollar moderns and hoping that they become double the asking price . . .

DAM

I understand that...

I guess the "holy grail" of modern investing is to have a stack

of ASM #300's (which some people do)...

but to have bought the stack for cover price or less.

Otherwise it's a hard question:

Will the most expensive modern books really hold their values?

- or -

Should I do all the work necessary to find the large quantities of small-dollar books?

However, along the same lines, check out Armando Huerta and his art on the 1997-1999 Double Impact books (RAW, Art Attack, various DI titles, etc.). In that case you have an artist of the calibur of Olivia and Boris starting to NOW get mainstream attention and those DI books are just starting to become noticed. VERY rare stuff, most people don't even know these books exist.

i can agree with you a bit on that. huerta is great and i have most of his early stuff but it seems like he is doing more artsy pin up stuff and not much comic stuff nowadays. correct me if i am wrong tho... i have focused on mostly marvels since ive started collecting again. i sold a razor nude (#42? maybe? perhaps you might know) with an huerta nude cover on ebay about 8 months ago... it booked for about 4 bucks. imagine my shock as it went for close to 40 in raw NM. loved the cover tho... kind of wished i had held onto it. the double impact titles, didnt they start with carrarello(?spelling) doing the covers and art? if so i think those may be a bit less appealing as huerta came in after the book ran a bit. kind of like S Platt on the already malproportioned Prophet run. but again i could be wrong. would have to go thru a ton of longboxes to double check. confused-smiley-013.gif