• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best modern "investment" IMO

131 posts in this topic

Although I love Vigil's work I have to strongly disagree about this statement. First off, Faust sells for maybe 25% now what it did ten years ago and adult oriented comics in general usually have very short lives as far as being "hot". Even if Vigil did go mainstream I cannot see those old Faust, EO, Grips, and related titles ever getting anywhere near the attention they once did (remember Badger?).

by the way... ten years ago (1993) i was buying all of my vigil work (faust grips eo etc) at cover or slightly over cover. could be a byproduct of living in podunk Ohio (next to backwoods, pennsylvania) but it was relatively inexpensive for me to build my vigil collection. as was the case (for the large part anyhow) with my linsner collection. so for me if i have 5 bucks in a faust #1, then it would be a great investment percentage wise. same with the Cry for dawn stuff. i remember buying a bunch at a LCS (about ten years ago) for about cover. i think that there was a 2nd print #1, 2nd print #2, two #3's, one #4 and a second print #5. i bought it for the second print #2 and #5 believe it or not. about a year ago i stuck one of the #3's on ebay and made more than the whole lot cost me. so investment wise is a relative issue. but maybe the small adult indies will bounce back a bit more and make us both happy grin.gif

as a sidelight.. i bought this about ten or so years ago for 10 bucks... mostly for the vigil cover. not a bad deal in hindsight as it is the first crow. the slabbing was a bit superflous but i was worried about the back cover (all black with cheap ink). 370804-0119160006.jpg

370804-0119160006.jpg.d78fd9bacfc29bc2c1f5d6973b64e530.jpg

i can agree with you a bit on that. huerta is great and i have most of his early stuff but it seems like he is doing more artsy pin up stuff and not much comic stuff nowadays. correct me if i am wrong tho... i have focused on mostly marvels since ive started collecting again. i sold a razor nude (#42? maybe? perhaps you might know) with an huerta nude cover on ebay about 8 months ago... it booked for about 4 bucks. imagine my shock as it went for close to 40 in raw NM. loved the cover tho... kind of wished i had held onto it. the double impact titles, didnt they start with carrarello(?spelling) doing the covers and art? if so i think those may be a bit less appealing as huerta came in after the book ran a bit. kind of like S Platt on the already malproportioned Prophet run. but again i could be wrong. would have to go thru a ton of longboxes to double check. confused-smiley-013.gif

As far as Razor #42 nude cover, I think that is the ONLY issue of Razor (Uncut) that I do not have, and I have never seen one either as it is very rare. But I did hear one time that it had a Huerta cover. If this is true that would be the only London Night book that does, as far as I know. Yes, Ricky Carallero (ended up being an art credit theif - long story) did the art on the firt two Double Impact series. I think there were seven issues of the first series and maybe two of the second. But those books were pretty poor. The Huerta stuff came AFTER those books and had extremely limited production, like a few thousand copies each, with various alternate covers. Most had covers that were so sexually graphic that it probably scared most retailers away. But as I said before, the quality of the art, whether you like the subject matter or not, is unbeatable in comic book art, past or present. Imagine Boris Vallejo or Olivia doing art on a comic (girls with no backgrounds). That is what we are talking with Huerta who until the past year or so was a relatively unknown young Mexican artist. With his recent art books coming out (found on Ebay) the guy is starting to get the attention that he deserves although it is correct that he is not doing comic book art anymore other than a few Chaos Comics! covers a few years ago (Purgatori:Darkest Hour #1 Premium and Lady Death: Last Rites #1 regular and Premium - BOTH improperly credited to Ricky Carallero). So seriously, as far as investments in modern age books go, in my opinion I don't see a better speculative bet than these books. If anyone wants to find them good luck. You may occasionally see them in the Ebay adult listings. I unfortunately sold most of mine already for prices ranging from $10-$75 each although I do still have some left, a few even slabbed. ------Sid

What issues did he do specifically? I want to look up the covers and check out this guy's art.

Probably the easiest to find, and most common are the issues he did for Chaos Comics! a few years ago which I noted above. But those are not the better ones, although the Purgatori cover is quite nice. Specifically you need to find Raw, Art Attack, and Double Impact: ....(various subtitles). Ignore those original Double Impact titles as they are crapola. You will know when you see a Huerta cover. On a different thread that I started a few weeks ago entitled Armando Huerta Double Impact Comics (on this same modern board) I posted a scan of one of the books that I did not sell. It is an Ebay link and you have to sign in as an adult to see it. But if you catch it you will see a good example of Huerta's covers. The interior art however is much more simplistic and not painted like the covers. Still, for black and white art without backgrounds it is quite nice. People mainly buy these books for the covers however. There are some that were published that were not adult. I believe Double Impact 2069 for example. But you are better off checking the animation and comics section in Ebay's mature listings. -----Sid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2219488133&category=3981

I just thought I would post a link for Huerta's best Chaos cover from some Ebay dealer (not me). . Although this is "rare" as far as modern comics go, it is much much easier to find than any of his Double Impact comics. Now imagine this quality of art in a very graphic and more close-up sexual pose 893censored-thumb.gif. THAT is what this guy is known for. -----Sid

i thought i still had a scan of this... this is the one i sold on ebay a while back. huerta cover?

Hello, yes this is most definitely a Huerta cover, yeah #40, I didn't think #42 sounded right. However, rare and probably the most sought after Razor book, this has got to be Huerta's worst cover work I have ever seen. Compare it to the Purgatori cover above that I pasted a link for, much better. But even that Chaos book is not as good as his Double Impact work. Anyway, I have yakked too much about this guy already, but if anyone is interested in speculating on an artist that may someday become a household word, his early comic book work is more rare than any other modern books I know of. -----Sid

Maybe I haven't been watching it long enough, but sales for Next Men 21 seem to have gone up in recent days. Maybe it's just a 2 day anomoly, but eBay sales since 1/18 for a NM copy ranged between $19-$37. Then on the 31st, one sold for $54. I thought that was a fluke, untill one ended today for $73. There's another ending today that's up to $71. What's going on? Might be time to hit the local comic shop and pay their "guide price" of $35.

Maybe I haven't been watching it long enough, but sales for Next Men 21 seem to have gone up in recent days. Maybe it's just a 2 day anomoly, but eBay sales since 1/18 for a NM copy ranged between $19-$37. Then on the 31st, one sold for $54. I thought that was a fluke, untill one ended today for $73. There's another ending today that's up to $71. What's going on. Might be time to hit the local comic shop and pay their "guide price" of $35.

If you can find a copy in your LCS for $35.00 or at all, I advise you to buy it,....I haven't been able to find one in a 200 mile radius....they all got sucked up over 3 months ago,....

Spidey Platinum better. only 10,000 out of 8,000,000 other Spidey # 1 that year. 4,000 went to stores and the rest piddled out from Marvel until 1996. Many copies damaged heavily. Very common multiple stress lines on cover/back cover that break color.

when these first came out sales were as high as $1,200.00. I bought 3 at $100.00 each from a dealer who was sent 5 copies. I wrote Marvel and they sent me some more , and then in 1992 I got another one for charity use (raffle for animal shelter). If you own this book, I would suggest that you keep it.

I always try to bid on them raw and 8.5 + encapsulated adds merit b/c of those darn stress lines. 9.8 $2,500 9.9 $5,000 and heaven forbid a 10.0 might go $12,000.00

I made sure to send the letters out with your CGC books, just like Dave's link - guy at the beginning. Sorry if they got off center I was in a hurry!

I also made sure to send out the Kiss "Blood" contract with the graded Marvel Super Special # 1's that came in too. Just my little touches of TLC that make me me ~

Could we declare Spidey Platinum # 1 the "King of all Variants"?

Also - as an investment what about :

Faust Premiere (1988) (BlacK)

Cry For Dawn # 1

Cerebus # 1 -20

100 Bullets 1-40

TMNT 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Gobbledygook 1,2 (1984 small ones)

everyone buy multiple copies of Frank Cho's Shanna the She-Devil when it comes out and his MOST UNDERVALUED back issue Ultimate Spider Man Summer Special # 1 great Elektra by FC!

and RIGHT NOW ASM Annual # 15 9.6 or better...

Thanks for the help Dr_Neff.

I was wondering what about Wolverine Vol.2 #10? The first fight between Wolverine & Sabertooth? Could this be a sleeper and that I should pick up as many copies as possible? smile.gif

I am assuming your joking as this one hasn't been a sleeper for a while, just check what graded copies sell for on Ebay. I picked up a CGC 9.8 about a year ago for $90 bucks. I don't know what they go for now, but these are always popular in CGC 9.4 or above. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe I haven't been watching it long enough, but sales for Next Men 21 seem to have gone up in recent days. Maybe it's just a 2 day anomoly, but eBay sales since 1/18 for a NM copy ranged between $19-$37. Then on the 31st, one sold for $54. I thought that was a fluke, untill one ended today for $73. There's another ending today that's up to $71. What's going on? Might be time to hit the local comic shop and pay their "guide price" of $35.

The movie is difinitely driving up the prices on this one. A few month's ago I was passing on the $20 price tag for NM copies on Ebay. Fortunately, my wife picked me up a raw NM copy for Christmas, so I don't have to sell the car to get a copy!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif