• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want a cgc'ed Batman 500, but not at this price

19 posts in this topic

cgc 9.8 sweet money

I don't get it. I have seen true NM copies in every 50 cent bin I ever looked in. I personally have literally 15 copies (don't ask). Yet whenever I see this book in 9.8 it goes for stupid money. I want one but was hoping to get it for like $35 shipped!! The last time I saw a Batman 500 cgc 9.8 NeatStuff sold it for like $56 plus shipping . . . what's the story?

ps - darth find me one for me for your next pre-screen!

cgc 9.8 sweet money

I don't get it. I have seen true NM copies in every 50 cent bin I ever looked in. I personally have literally 15 copies (don't ask). Yet whenever I see this book in 9.8 it goes for stupid money. I want one but was hoping to get it for like $35 shipped!! The last time I saw a Batman 500 cgc 9.8 NeatStuff sold it for like $56 plus shipping . . . what's the story?

David,

I have a Batman #500 SS book coming back soon (hopefully) that got a 9.8. Any interest??? wink.gif

cgc 9.8 sweet money

David,

I have a Batman #500 SS book coming back soon (hopefully) that got a 9.8. Any interest??? wink.gif

If it is a 9.8 sold!! You the man Alex! Thanks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I got a 500 still in it's factory bag with a poster (I think) inside. The husband of one of my wifes friends died a couple of weeks ago (suddenly and very tragic) and she gave me his comic "collection" (about 300 modern books mostly 90's). 99.5% of it is going to cimics4kids, but there were a couple of cool books (modern) that I'll be keeping and this was one of them.

cgc 9.8 sweet money

I don't get it. . . . what's the story?

Playing devil's advocate... I'll take a shot at justifying this...

CGC grading, including the "to" and "from" shipping, is roughly $20.

According to the 11/11/2003 census, 23 copies of the book had been graded.

3 of those 23 books received CGC 9.8 (none higher).

So, about 1 in 7 or 1 in 8, so far, have received the coveted CGC 9.8.

The cost of grading 8 copies, in order to statistically "ensure" a 9.8 would be $160.

So, roll the dice and maybe pay $160? Or buy the book already graded for $56?

In a sense, this may be what buyers are thinking.

Or they may be nuts since the book is worth $0.50. It's a tough call. insane.gif

Valiant man - as always I value your fact based anlysis. I think that what your numbers show more than anything is a lack of effective pre-screening or rather an effective pre-screening if there are only 3 9.8s . . .

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

Valiant man - as always I value your fact based anlysis. I think that what your numbers show more than anything is a lack of effective pre-screening or rather an effective pre-screening if there are only 3 9.8s . . .

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

I don't think I could tell a 9.8 from a 9.6, etc. but I have over 200 copies of this book.

I sent in my DF signature series edition about 3 weeks ago, so I should be getting it back in ... well.. let's just say before summer.

9.8? Well... might be kinda iffy. Im guessing a 9.4. Im trying to get a run from 450 to 500 in 9.4 to 9.8 range. Came up a little short on the package I received today though. 450 came back at 9.2

893frustrated.gif

I have a couple of cherry #500's, but they all have a tiny bindery tear in the top left corner. I've looked and can never seem to find a copy without it.

I would guess there are some without it because there are 9.8's on the census.

I've been afraid to send any of mine because I want one in 9.8, and I'd bet they'd get 9.6 max because of the tear.

I guess it would be easier to just buy one that was already slabbed.

confused-smiley-013.gif