• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

Those pies look amazing. I ate some curry lo mein this morning that didn't agree with me and have been dealing with that all day. Saw a terrific high school district championship game tonight. Really like Tup's avatar. Sadfan approved.

They are probably easier to spot with their eyes open. I wish they'd open them just once for me. When you walk around the yard, their heads turn toward you. They watch, even though their eyes appear closed.

That spot on the tree is where they've been for two weeks. At least that's when my buddy first spotted them.

I've seen them in his yard for over a year, but always at dusk, in silhouette. I hadn't seen the first colored feather until 2 weeks ago.

Their spot on the tree is only about 8' high & is almost within arm's reach of the patio where all the loud drinking & music happens.

They've probably been right there all along, strangely accustomed to the revelers.

They're amazingly beautiful and highly adapted animals; nature's original stealth technology in all its glory.

I once rented a condo on the side of a hill in Oregon. The ground dropped off steeply below the balcony which overlooked a densely wooded area. It was not unusual to see coyotes, deer, racoons, hawks, eagles and large owls back there. Several times at night while standing on the balcony, these owls would noiselessly glide within a few feet of my head, yet not perceptibly disturb the air around me.

Our backyard has woods and there is a hawk among the trees.

To hear the screech is a thing of beauty on these nice Spring days.

He seems to get some good thermals above the gas pipeline that runs along our property.

It is like saying hi to a good friend when we see him circling.

I see hawks in South Tampa a few times a year.

I've never seen an owl before until seeing these in the trees at dusk, starting about two years ago.

Seeing them in daylight is outside my life's experience.

They are like the spirits of the dead, haunting little backyard garden creatures of the leafy suburbs.

I see hawks in South Tampa a few times a year.

I've never seen an owl before until seeing these in the trees at dusk, starting about two years ago.

Seeing them in daylight is outside my life's experience.

They are like the spirits of the dead, haunting little backyard garden creatures of the leafy suburbs.

I was at a baseball camp in rural Missouri in the summer of 1986. My uncle who lived in Springfield at the time, came to take me to get some real food, which was greatly appreciated. As we drove down a fairly tight, hilly pass, something appeared at the edge of my peripheral vision.

Before I could process it, a great horned owl hit the windshield of my uncle's car. The body was between the size of a large chicken and a small turkey, but the wings must have been 3 feet long each. The great bird did at least one complete spin, possibly more, and again, before I could completely process it, took to flight again with two sweeping flaps of its wings.

That is the closest I have ever been to an owl. And though it was scary for all of us, it was amazing to see one that up close and personal, without it scooping up a baby in its talons or something.

We have a family of 4 small burrowing owls in our backyard. They are probably only about 6 inches high, barely bigger than a regular bird. There are cool as hell but will definitely keep you on your toes. They roam the yard/neighborhood at night. Theres probably been about 50 times where i'm walking a dog and looking at my phone, hear a little smooching sound and look up and i'm face to face with 4 owls STARING at me like a foot in front of my face :eek: