• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savage sword...when it did it start sucking?

23 posts in this topic

Recently bought a bulk lot of SSOC, 1-60, or so, and then it skips over to 119 to about 170...

Started reading from the first one and now to about issue 10. I'm enjoying them, great 70s Conan plus the art of Buscema and the fantastic covers. Back-up features leave something to be desired on occasion, but I'm a Conan fan and the essays are interesting.

For those who have read them, when did they start getting sucky? I mean, I've browsed through several of the ones from 119 and on...and they leave much to be desired in comparison to the first issues I've read...

I have a feeling I'll stop buying the reprints from Dark Horse after the newest volume, which takes the Conan stories from the magazine up to issue 71. I've gotten into the stories so far, but like the OP, I think the art starts to lose it a little around this time.

There are some good stories later on as well. I really enjoyed the Gladiator storlyine in the #140s - it was fun. Some of the later issues are worth it as well just for the Jusko covers alone since you can snag them for $.50 apiece in bulk.

Issues after #200 are tougher to find, but even if they have a good story the artwork in a lot of them is a turn off. I believe one of the later issues has Marc Silvestri's first published artwork and it looks like .

If Buscema and Chan are doing the artwork then it's worth just for the artwork alone...so I guess...anything after them would be sucky... :preach:

You don't like Alfredo Alcala's work on SSOC :o

Come to think of it. hm ..yes I did... :cloud9:

If Buscema and Chan are doing the artwork then it's worth just for the artwork alone...so I guess...anything after them would be sucky... :preach:

Come to think of it. hm ..yes I did... :cloud9:

I should hope so. :sumo:

I would love to own a Buscema/Alcala SSOC page from one of the eary issues one of these days. Something like this:

SSOC24pg27.jpg

Some of the later issues are worth it as well just for the Jusko covers alone since you can snag them for $.50 apiece in bulk.

-----------------

Where? Or are you talking beaters?

No, I am talking about VF or better copies (mostly VF/NM). One of the local dealers has them in his 50 cent section.

I really like Alcala's bronze work. I remember him in Kamandi and Planet of the Apes. Where else did he strut his stuff?

I really like Alcala's bronze work. I remember him in Kamandi and Planet of the Apes. Where else did he strut his stuff?

He did some Kull work inking over Hannigan.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=693

Savage sword...when it did it start sucking?

when it ended

:golfclap:

SSOC was my all time favorite title growing up.

I couldn't wait to pick up issues right off the stands of 7-11's etc.

I have a Buscema SSOC page with Sonny Trinidad inks.

There's no question the inks make this page.

SSOCPage22.jpg

Some of the later issues are worth it as well just for the Jusko covers alone since you can snag them for $.50 apiece in bulk.

-----------------

Where? Or are you talking beaters?

No, I am talking about VF or better copies (mostly VF/NM). One of the local dealers has them in his 50 cent section.

people in Alberta must not like Conan, that is a nice deal. One of the bigger deep discounters (of that sort of stuff around) had them for $2 each at the NY Con this weekend and that was by far the cheapest I saw them there. I would have bought a box of them at that price (and that condition) if I had any money left and had any way of hauling them around.