• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Sellers ?

67 posts in this topic

And when it comes to payment/Paypal, don't get me started. I list everything in USD as this saves all the questions regarding 'what is that in real money' and also gives my colonial cousins a greater sense of comfort. However, this means that not only do I lose 4% on fees, but I also get hammered on a terrible exchange rate which accounts for an additional 3% compared to bank rates. :cry:

Nail. On. Head.

It really took me by surprise the first time I made a sale in $ just how much Paypal took off me in total to convert into sterling. I'll still stick to selling in $ though as it just seems the easiest way to do it. Plus I don't mark up the 3% or 4% to cover my arse (thumbs u

:roflmao: "Real Money" :roflmao:

No one really said that did they?

I've had it a few times. Sometimes, it's obviously tongue-in-cheek. Other times, not so much. :eek:

Pound notes have that funny shape and all those colors and pictures...who would ever think it's real money! :roflmao:

They are not because they don't exist as money any more.

I will ship anywhere that is covered by the Universal Postal Union regulations, with certain exceptions. Italy is a hassle, as are parts of Africa and South America. I have never had to ship to a -Stan country, but have heard horror stories.

I didn't know Brazil is an issue - had a buyer ask me about shipping to there in an auction recently, but he wasn't the winning bidder so I didn't have to worry.

I don't have a problem shipping any where so long as the buyer doesn't mind priority so it can be tracked and insured.

Plus, there are a number of sellers here who don't ship abroad.

You're kidding, right? :o

Nope!

OK, I haven't ventured into the Marketplace in months, and it seems that things have gone to mess in the meantime. doh!

I cannot believe that anybody part of this community would be unwilling to ship outside of their precious ing shores. Un-ing-believable. meh

Some even state they want 3% more than asking if you want to pay them immediately by paypal rather than make them wait weeks to get and cash a cheque or money order. :o

I think this practice was way more rampant before Paypal instituted the "Personal" tab, allowing for transactions sans fees. Before that, almost every single sales thread on this board had that addendum. Fewer and fewer sellers here are using the 3% PP "tax," it seems, since the change. I agree, though, that the additional 3% definitely does nothing to instill a sense of community around here.

I didn't know Brazil is an issue - had a buyer ask me about shipping to there in an auction recently, but he wasn't the winning bidder so I didn't have to worry.

Just to be fair, it may not be an issue for everybody. It was definitely an issue for me.

Nope!

OK, I haven't ventured into the Marketplace in months, and it seems that things have gone to mess in the meantime. doh!

I cannot believe that anybody part of this community would be unwilling to ship outside of their precious ing shores. Un-ing-believable. meh

Some even state they want 3% more than asking if you want to pay them immediately by paypal rather than make them wait weeks to get and cash a cheque or money order. :o

I think this practice was way more rampant before Paypal instituted the "Personal" tab, allowing for transactions sans fees. Before that, almost every single sales thread on this board had that addendum. Fewer and fewer sellers here are using the 3% PP "tax," it seems, since the change. I agree, though, that the additional 3% definitely does nothing to instill a sense of community around here.

The Paypal Personal tab, as far as I'm aware, does not omit fees from transactions - it just passes them on to the buyer. It effectively equates to the "tax".

The Paypal Personal option is only 1% for the buyer though. I just sent a fellow boardie $477 & I only paid $4 and a bit on top of that for the fees. The same seller never asked for 3% on top nor asked if I would pay using the Personal option - I just offered to pay that way because he was giving me a good deal and was very friendly in his communications.

Nope!

The Paypal Personal tab, as far as I'm aware, does not omit fees from transactions - it just passes them on to the buyer. It effectively equates to the "tax".

Only if the buyer is paying via CC. If the payment comes from a balance or bank account and is marked 'personal', no fees are payable. (thumbs u

Nope!

Only if the buyer is paying via CC. If the payment comes from a balance or bank account and is marked 'personal', no fees are payable. (thumbs u

Not true for me - I only pay via paypal funds or the bank account linked to my paypal account and I've always had to pay the 1%.

WTTB, Chris!

A word of advice...

eBay is an utter -shoot and your chances of getting what you paid for are about the same as your chances of getting ripped off.

Can I suggest that you actually spend your money here in the Marketplace? There's probably enough offered to bankrupt you anyway, and your chances of receiving something you're happy with will be vastly increased! (thumbs u

A bit harsh Nick. I sell on Ebay and I'm as trustworthy as you are ever likely to find.

There is always loads of great stuff in the marketplace in here but sometimes shipping can be a factor when you are buying from the UK.

So, whereas I can understand the intent of your original statement I do believe there are a number of well known sellers who can be trusted on Ebay.

(thumbs u

Nick, you know I adore you, but although I have not listed anything recently ...I consider myself an

"Ebay" Seller...and I have pretty darned good feedback, even if you could go back 10 years. The board is wonderful, but no safer than anywhere else, you need to use common sense, and I've been skipping the sellers asking for 3%...One of whom, keeps posting some books I'd like, but I think it's not very community like.

Sha, I accept that you are a stellar seller, as is Andrew...as are a number of other good folk. (thumbs u

However, I still stand by what I said...eBay is a -shoot and the opportunity for hassle, disappointment, aggravation...and losing out big time...is massive.

Nope!

Not true for me - I only pay via paypal funds or the bank account linked to my paypal account and I've always had to pay the 1%.

Well, you're doing something wrong, then, as I haven't. :baiting:

I *think* that it has to do with how much money you move because I don't use a credit card and sometimes the option to pick up the fee is there and other times it's not.

Nope!

I agree that the marketplace here is a community. While I don't ask for a 3% increase for those paying via paypal, I don't have a problem with those that do. I also agree that sellers should consider shipping worldwide for those that reside outside the US.

People sell their books for a myriad of reasons. Some because they are looking to upgrade, others because their focus has changed. Still others because they need the cash and a few (like myself) because they must and not because they want to.

It bothers me to think there are those that avoid some sellers (sans probation list or previous bad personal experience with a specific person) because of high prices, fees, etc. I think the sense of community should go both ways. Leniency or understanding for those that are new to selling here or perhaps don't have a good grasp on current prices should be sent a kind PM with good advice, "Would you consider shipping to the UK? It's very easy and I can walk you through it".

I would think we would want the community to grow and to ignore a new seller (or old) because they don't follow some invisible standard is short sighted.

This is the main reason I'm hesitant to sell on the boards except in rare cases because I don't want to put off a portion of members due to something I'm not aware of. So I resort to selling on eBay which in itself precludes a lot of folks because they don't buy/sell through that venue any longer.

The gist of the community feeling that I've received recently is that, "If you aren't selling at rock bottom prices then don't sell here." This is fine if that's what is intended, but that isn't fostering much of a sense of community in my humble opinion.

Bottom line to me is that we are all collectors and trade/sell/buy in a niche market. We should treat one another like family and do our best to see each other as such. Yes, families have fights and disagreements, but in the end the family remains and we should be able to see past the differences.

Now that I've probably alienated half of you I'll shut up and be quiet. :blush: Please take the above as my OPINION ONLY. If I stated anything as fact you have my permission to twak me upside the head with a wooden spoon. :grin:

I'm not here to defend Ebay but I can only speak from personal experience.

As a buyer I've only been rippped off once in over 6 years on Ebay - and I must have bought over 50,000 books in that time.

Maybe in a dozen of those transactions sellers have way-overcharged on shipping but I take some responsibility for that by not double-checking first that they weren't robbing bastards.

Have I bought books that could have some kind of restoration on them? (and I do include pressing in that) - probably, but restoration isn't the evil to me that it is to others. Unless it is a down right lie or fraud.

It may be a Global Collecting Village that we live in but somebody in a small northern town in England does not have the opportunities to buy comics in the flesh, so to speak, that even somebody has in Manchester, Leeds orLondon.

As for going to regular comic cons that exist in the US - no chance at all of that.

For a variety of reasons, some of which have come to light on these boards, I won't buy through the well-known auction houses.

Buying through the Marketplace on here is great and I have done on numerous occassions over the last year. I should have bought more big money items - that's over $1000 for me - but I deliberated on a number of sales and missed out and on at least one other I stepped aside to let a board member I would class as a online friend (because we've never met) purchase a key GA grail because I knew it would mean a lot to them.

But the Marketplace has many problems as well. Personally I use it side-by-side with Ebay and not as a replacement.

True. and it's not 1% but more than 4%, here's a test with a payment of $100:

testpaypal.jpg

Maybe it is different for different countries (shrug)

Maybe Nick has a different type of account to me hm

I've only ever had to pay 1%.

To be honest, if I had to pay $10 on a purchase of $1000 I'm hardly going to lose any sleep on it.