• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this GA book?

21 posts in this topic

The purple on the case is actually just from the scanner, but the book is restored and does have a purple label. There's no doubt in my mind about the restoration, but the grade it was given surprises me a little.

Depends how you consider the color touch. If you assume it's not supposed to look that bad - and consider it a part of the resto - then probably a VF+ to NM-.

If you consider it a stain since it's not really the same color as the cover, then maybe a VG/F or F-.

Then again, CGC gave the More Fun 71 with stains like that a 9.0. Who knows what they'd give this one. Is there anything higher than a 10? Given the way they've been grading high $$ GA, I'd be surprised if that got anything less than a 9.2.

Sounds like you were expecting the same?

Depends how you consider the color touch. If you assume it's not supposed to look that bad - and consider it a part of the resto - then probably a VF+ to NM-.

That is my reasoning behind my Apparant 9.0.

Yeah, I've never known just exactly what to do with resto like that. In all reality, if it doesn't look good, it is a stain and should be graded accordingly. Other opinions?

Thanks for all the imput guys. If the color touch/staining you guys are talking about is in the top right of the cover those actually do appear to be two small stains rather than bad color touch. (The restoration is considered professional)

The book was graded a 5.5 with Extensive professional restoration. Given the fact that GA books are graded a bit more leniently than Silver/Bronze I think the book looks alot nicer than the grade, which seems to be the consensus other people reached too. Based on the way older GA books tend to be graded I would expect this book to be at least a 7.5...

I guess my second question then is if I ever go to sell it, would it be unethical to take it out of the slab and sell it with my own grade if I feel it may have been undergraded by the CGC? Obviously if I did that I'd still disclose all of the restoration, but would I have to say this book was originally graded a 5.5 by the CGC? Normally I wouldn't even consider doing this because a book is worth so much more CGCed than unCGCed (and because I don't usually disagree with CGC grading) but in this case I think the grade jump would more than make up for the loss of the slab.. (Guide value almost triples on this book from F to VF) Anyway, I don't want to do anything unethical, but if I do end up deciding to sell the book at some point I was just wondering what I should do.

Thanks

I guess my second question then is if I ever go to sell it, would it be unethical to take it out of the slab and sell it with my own grade if I feel it may have been undergraded by the CGC? Obviously if I did that I'd still disclose all of the restoration, but would I have to say this book was originally graded a 5.5 by the CGC? Normally I wouldn't even consider doing this because a book is worth so much more CGCed than unCGCed (and because I don't usually disagree with CGC grading) but in this case I think the grade jump would more than make up for the loss of the slab.. (Guide value almost triples on this book from F to VF) Anyway, I don't want to do anything unethical, but if I do end up deciding to sell the book at some point I was just wondering what I should do.

I'd take it out and sell it raw, with large clear scans of the front and back and all restoration disclosed. I would not feel obligated to mention what CGC graded it, just as I would not feel obligated to mention what the guy down the street at my LCS graded it. I would probably list it giving my *opinion* of the grade with a low opening bid and a reasonable reserve, as well as a 7 day return policy to allow personal inspection.

I guess my second question then is if I ever go to sell it, would it be unethical to take it out of the slab and sell it with my own grade if I feel it may have been undergraded by the CGC? Obviously if I did that I'd still disclose all of the restoration, but would I have to say this book was originally graded a 5.5 by the CGC?

No way it's unethical.... CGC isn't perfect and their opinion is only gospel if you allow it to be. As long as you disclose the resto, your still entitled to your own opinion on grade.

Unless there are hidden flaws, I would not accept a 5.5 on that book either. Crack it and set it free. hi.gif

That cover stain looked to me like water damage-- didn't even consider it might be color touch until I read the posts. Did the grader's notes say anything? Once you crack it open, you might be disappointed to find the interior page quality is lower than expected due to water staining. gossip.gif

Wow, that's the prettiest 5.5 I think I've ever seen, even given the resto. Certainly, selling it raw without disclosing the CGC grade is okay, as long as you note and detail the resto. CGC does make mistakes, and you shouldn't have to pay for their mistake. Were you aware of the resto before slabbing?

I'm not sure how it got the grade. I opened up the slab and even though the pages are cream/offwhite they still look really nice. The staining near the top of the cover does bring the book down a little but I'd still say its right around an 8.0. I compared the book to my CGC 5.5 Hulk 181 and it looks several grades nicer than the Hulk 181. Anyway, I cracked the slab, set it free, and will be listing it on eBay tonight a little after 10:00 EST for anyone interested.

Thanks everyone for the advice!