• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding this, makes me think,...

14 posts in this topic

could the next big collection be found outside the US?

AdventuresIntoUnknown27int-2.jpg

I found this in a recent purchase from GACollectibles. (Thanks mate!)

(thumbs u

AdventuresIntoUnknown27int-1.jpg

About ten or so years ago, I was told about a large, high-grade collection of Marvel pre-hero/hero comics, that originated from South Africa. It was being touted as the Johannesburg Collection. Since then I never heard anything else about it !!

Have any of my fellow Aussie collectors heard about this?

I was told about it by the guys that run a local store.

Are there any large and eminent collections outside the US?

Are there any large (pedigree?) collections in the UK or Europe?

It always interests me the world wide popularity of the American funny book!!

:applause:

I always wondered if some of the comics that the G.I.s read during WWII survived. I can imagine that the european (german) kids liked to read them . US Comics must have been a sensation in the early years after the war.

I don't know about WW2, but I do remember that a retired U.S. marine based in the U.K. sold off his collection of Silver Age books (they started in the early 60s, and were mainly Marvels in high grade) some years ago with a British auction company.

There have been no indigenous collections of GA material discovered in the U.K. either due to the military or otherwise, that I'm aware of...

US comics were available in Paris, France during the 60's.

Ten years ago, i met a french collector who was buying them regularly at the Brentano newspaper shop, near Opera Garnier.

He showed me his collection, with full run of DC comics titles but also Marvel titles (Avengers, Fantastic Four...).

Unfortunately the books were all in the VG range condition.

The guy had just bought an Overstreet price guide and wanted the NM price for his VG books. It was very pleasant to speak with him, but i left his home without purchasing anything...

The quality was not here, but it was a fantastic and huge OO collection.

What's funny is that the Brentano shop still exists.

I have in my personal collection some silver age comics with the Brentano stamp on them.

So back to the subject: Yes, i think it's possible that somewhere in France, there are still undiscovered collections. And maybe among them some future pedigree.

I always wondered if some of the comics that the G.I.s read during WWII survived. I can imagine that the european (german) kids liked to read them . US Comics must have been a sensation in the early years after the war.

I don't know about WW2, but I do remember that a retired U.S. marine based in the U.K. sold off his collection of Silver Age books (they started in the early 60s, and were mainly Marvels in high grade) some years ago with a British auction company.

There have been no indigenous collections of GA material discovered in the U.K. either due to the military or otherwise, that I'm aware of...

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was shipping toys all over the world that one of the sending restrictions to the UK was horror comics.

I had always assumed that the restriction must have been in place for a long time. I guess they didn't want us "Yanks" warping the minds of UK children.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was shipping toys all over the world that one of the sending restrictions to the UK was horror comics.

I had always assumed that the restriction must have been in place for a long time. I guess they didn't want us "Yanks" warping the minds of UK children.

No, we just have better horror over here already.

I remember that rule - it read "horror comics and matrices" were forbidden. Not sure what matrices are in this context.

And yes, the restriction was probably introduced at the time of the Senate hearings, as it does sound dated and outmoded. I had one U.S. dealer refuse to ship me some pre-code books due to finding this ancient clause on the net. I had to point out to him that comics with far more visceral content were available at comic shops every week, admittedly to over-18s. Not that children in the U.K. have been interested in comics for the last two decades....

US comics were available in Paris, France during the 60's.

Ten years ago, i met a french collector who was buying them regularly at the Brentano newspaper shop, near Opera Garnier.

He showed me his collection, with full run of DC comics titles but also Marvel titles (Avengers, Fantastic Four...).

Unfortunately the books were all in the VG range condition.

The guy had just bought an Overstreet price guide and wanted the NM price for his VG books. It was very pleasant to speak with him, but i left his home without purchasing anything...

The quality was not here, but it was a fantastic and huge OO collection.

What's funny is that the Brentano shop still exists.

I have in my personal collection some silver age comics with the Brentano stamp on them.

So back to the subject: Yes, i think it's possible that somewhere in France, there are still undiscovered collections. And maybe among them some future pedigree.

:applause:

My grandfater was in WWII, and he gave me some of the comics he had received. They were all intentionally coverless (iirc). Not sure if all the comics sent were like this, but these were Superman comics. If they were all like this, a surviving collection wouldn't be worth much.