• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could own one piece of Original Art?

64 posts in this topic

This is really hard, but I guess after thinking for a little while, it would be this cover. I love the`early Ditko and have always loved this particular cover.

spidey2.jpg

Wow batman_fan you have great taste. I was thinking along the same lines even before I got to your post. Great cover. If it had to be an interior page, I would like to have the splash to the Tinkerer story in this issue. Great large image of Spider-Man, and nice use of blacks and shading by Ditko.

Comic Art I would probably stick with my favorite artist and say I would want the cover art to First Issue Special #8.

As far as any piece in existence it would probably be a Dali. One of these two perhaps.

th_54Crucifixion.jpgth_Dali_ChristofStJohnoftheCross1951.jpg

There are also some stunning examples of American Western Art at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum here in Oklahoma City. Many of them are so beautiful I just sit and stare at them in wonder.

Hate to get all monified on this thread but.... what really is the question? Is it, what one piece would you own if OA was worth nothing? Or, is it, what one piece would you own given present values and the fact that you may own it for a few days while you arrange a sale that would change your lifestyle??...

What I mean is, sure I would like to own the Action 1 cover, but then again not really. If I did own it I would most likely feel the need to sell it as I would feel uncomfortable owning a 1mil piece... plus, I don't really want to have that much into comic art in general terms with the rest of my collection. So, would I give up the rest of my collection and keep that one cover?? Hmmm, don't think so, but maybe.

If we assume OA is worth nothing then ok, I may take one of those icons like Action 1, but then again, if it's worth nothing maybe it's best just to focus on that one piece of nostalgia that really hits home...

I think a better question is: what one piece would you own and be able keep given a realistic assessment of your collecting goals and your current lifestyle?

For me, it would be the cover to Avengers 4... while still very pricey, I would sell off a huge chunk of my collection to not feel guilty about owning it and holding onto it..... Most other huge covers (meaning covers that would go for several hundred thousand dollars and up) I would simply sell and and use the proceeds to keep collecting the way I collect now.

I agree with Malvin...I keep thinking "if i just get this......I can stop for a while.." Then I see something else just as great yet nothing like the last so you can't chose and MUST OWN BOTH!! MUAHAHAHA Not to mention the idea that great art is on the way to your house is just like Christmas in (ANY MONTH HERE>>) lol

No single cover will satisfy every urge, right? Owning the FF 1 cover would get you something iconic...but also primitive, and lacking in those great Sinnott inks (I would be sad that if I owned the FF 1 cover I didn't also own the FF 48 cover). And if I owned the 48 -- well, it's a great cover with no freakin' villain on it. I'd be sad I didn't own the FF 39 cover instead.

And if I had any of those, then I wouldn't have the ASM Annual 1 cover. Which, if I owned it, I might eventually be sad I didn't have the ASM 1 instead, as the Annual 1 is sort of a line-up, a bit artificial, and ASM 1 is more organic (and has Kirby pencils).

But of course my favorite character is the Hulk, so there's the Hulk 1 (which we know no longer exists in its current form, making a buyer in a fairly recent auction winner of the Jackpot of the Century award), so I can't own that one. FF 12? FF 25? I dunno, at that point I'd be sad not to own that Frazetta Weird Science Fantasy 29, which is amazing. So brilliantly executed and iconic that I'd almost not be sad to own it instead of the Chris Ware fold out cover to McSweeney's 13, probably the most elaborate cover ever drawn.

Action 1, of course...but of course not. Detective 27 is better, and 31 is better than that. But Lou Fine didn't draw either of those, and I'd be sad not to have some guy wrestling a shark or whatnot, so...

I dunno, after a burst of neuroses and multiple calls to my therapist, followed by a vodka and klonopin binge, I'd probably wake up clutching the stat cover of Betty and Veronica Digest #23, weeping.

G

No single cover will satisfy every urge, right? Owning the FF 1 cover would get you something iconic...but also primitive, and lacking in those great Sinnott inks (I would be sad that if I owned the FF 1 cover I didn't also own the FF 48 cover). And if I owned the 48 -- well, it's a great cover with no freakin' villain on it. I'd be sad I didn't own the FF 39 cover instead.

And if I had any of those, then I wouldn't have the ASM Annual 1 cover. Which, if I owned it, I might eventually be sad I didn't have the ASM 1 instead, as the Annual 1 is sort of a line-up, a bit artificial, and ASM 1 is more organic (and has Kirby pencils).

But of course my favorite character is the Hulk, so there's the Hulk 1 (which we know no longer exists in its current form, making a buyer in a fairly recent auction winner of the Jackpot of the Century award), so I can't own that one. FF 12? FF 25? I dunno, at that point I'd be sad not to own that Frazetta Weird Science Fantasy 29, which is amazing. So brilliantly executed and iconic that I'd almost not be sad to own it instead of the Chris Ware fold out cover to McSweeney's 13, probably the most elaborate cover ever drawn.

Action 1, of course...but of course not. Detective 27 is better, and 31 is better than that. But Lou Fine didn't draw either of those, and I'd be sad not to have some guy wrestling a shark or whatnot, so...

I dunno, after a burst of neuroses and multiple calls to my therapist, followed by a vodka and klonopin binge, I'd probably wake up clutching the stat cover of Betty and Veronica Digest #23, weeping.

G

Prozac works wonders with all that sadness....

Hari

G

well stated Glenn.. so where do you want me to send the stat cover??

(:

But of course my favorite character is the Hulk, so there's the Hulk 1 (which we know no longer exists in its current form, making a buyer in a fairly recent auction winner of the Jackpot of the Century award), so I can't own that one.

By not being a part of this hobby 24/7 means things slip by me. Would somebody fill me in on the Hulk 1 situation or is Glen just excerpting from his next short fiction piece? :grin: