• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: When (if ever) will you retire from actively collecting OA?

At what age do you see yourself retiring from actively collecting original comic book artwork?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. At what age do you see yourself retiring from actively collecting original comic book artwork?

41 posts in this topic

I have had an appreciation for the comic book medium since I was 13 years old and don't think that will ever change. I was a very active collector of comic books for most of the 1983-2007 timeframe (particularly 1999-2004). But, eventually, my interests changed, the hobby changed, and, now, I can't imagine that I will ever collect comic books again.

I've been an active collector of OA since late 2002. During this time, I took one break of about 6 months and I am currently on a similar break now. While I think it's pretty unlikely that I have bought my last piece of comic art, I think it's very likely that I have acquired the bulk of what I eventually will and want to acquire.

While I have no intention of selling my collection for decades to come (perhaps ever), when I think about it, I really don't see myself still actively collecting 15 years from now. By that time, I doubt I will be interested in collecting anything, even if pieces that I would consider "grails" became available then - *now* is the time I want to own and acquire those pieces, so I can enjoy them during this time of my life and for years to come.

So, with that in mind, I present the following poll below and would love to get peoples' thoughts on their long-term intentions in the hobby.

my vote was 35-39, which was back in 1993/94 when I stopped buying

I haven't bought a piece of art for my collection since, though I have added a few thousand vintage movie posters in their place

of course, I had had almost everything I ever wanted in comics and comic art at some point having owned thousands of originals, but now I just have a core of some 30 or so pieces and I changed direction to what I see as a much more enjoyable hobby than what comics/art has become. Of course, that's just my perspective as someone who collected comics starting in 1962, so I had more than 3 decades to enjoy it.

Nice poll, but very tough question. I'm not sure it's quite so easy to predict. I think back 10 years and things are so different for me right now, in terms of the OA hobby and my interest in it. I doubt I could have ever predicted where this hobby would have led me, and I have a feeling I still can't predict it. One thing for sure, I'll be actively ENJOYING the OA hobby until the day I die :)

Hari

Hard to call. I was really into OA a few years back. Circumstances in the past two years have pushed me back towards comics.

Right now, I can think of only a few pieces that I would buy over a book (taking into account my finances; of course there are some pages I'd go after if finances weren't an issue).

If finances weren't an issue, I'd vote on the higher end of the poll.

If finances allow (as I think they will in the next year or so), I'll get back into OA.

If anyone wants to buy a house in the Charlotte-Metro area, I'll be back into OA sooner than I anticipate. :wishluck:

Hard to say. I almost feel I could quit at any time as I'm very happy with my collection, with just a few holes left to fill. More than that, I have become SO SPOONING PICKY in what I want, that I seem to acquire fewer and fewer pieces every year, to the point where it barely feels like my hobby anymore. I wish it wasn't the case, as I DO go through collecting withdraw symptoms all the time, but the right material is just not there to satisfy my cravings, and that attrition has hastened my collecting decline, more so even than price.

Scott Williams

Hard to say. I almost feel I could quit at any time as I'm very happy with my collection, with just a few holes left to fill. More than that, I have become SO SPOONING PICKY in what I want, that I seem to acquire fewer and fewer pieces every year, to the point where it barely feels like my hobby anymore. I wish it wasn't the case, as I DO go through collecting withdraw symptoms all the time, but the right material is just not there to satisfy my cravings, and that attrition has hastened my collecting decline, more so even than price.

Scott Williams

Scott, I love your OA collection and if I owned it, I'd be prepared to quit cold turkey (thumbs u

Another question in relation to retiring... IF you find yourself aged and with family and heirs not interested in OA, whether you're in need of the money or not...

WHAT do you do with the ORIGINAL ART?

Do you DONATE it to a museum or worth cause like CBLDF or HEROES INITIATIVE?

Do you GIFT it to friends (fellow collectors) who can appreciate your OA in their collections?

Do you SELL it for the pure money play to ensure your heirs don't sell it for less than it's worth? How would you sell it? At a CONVENTION? To a DEALER? By Way of AUCTION (whether eBay, Herritage or etc.)? Post on CGC Boards to sell individually to collectors?

Do you LEAVE IT along and if you pass away the OA becomes your heirs either burden or reward to deal with?

If you're single or alone without heirs and had a terrminal situation... no time to build a website to sell the art... no energy to auction it off... WHAT DO YOU DO OR WANT TO DO WITH YOUR ORIGINAL ART IF ULTIMATELY NOBODY ELSE IN YOUR LIFE BUT YOURSELF CARES ABOUT IT?

My stopping isn't based so much on age, but on reaching a goal, which is to get at least one panel page from the very first dozen or so comics I had as a kid. Prior to the age of 10, I wasn't "collecting" comics per se, so the ones I had from ages 5-9 were few and random.

Specifically I'm looking for original art for:

Captain America #156(Sal Buscema/McLaughlan) I have one page missing a panel :pullhair:

Defenders #39 (S. Buscema Layouts,Janson finishes) 2 pages :applause:

Marvel Team-Up #11 (Jim Mooney/Esposito) 15 pages, trying to complete :headbang:

Detective #465 (Ernie Chua/ Giacoa) 5 pages (thumbs u

Superman #233 (Curt Swan/Anderson)very important!!!!Never seen a page doh!

Superman #270 (Curt Swan/Anderson) I know some pages are out there   doh!

G.I. Combat #201(Glanzman.Estrada,Calman,Cruz,Ayers) Never seen a page doh!

Marvel Spotlight #24 (Sal Buscema/McLeod) 4pages :banana:

Avengers #156 (Sal Buscema/Pablo Marcos) got 1(thumbs u

Marvel Premiere #37 with 3-D Man (Craig) Never seen a page doh!

Thor 261 (Walt Simonson/Ernie Chua) got 1 :cloud9:

JLA 110 (Dillin,Giordano) got 9 pages :banana:

Tales of Suspense 80 (Kirby----Colan) I got 2 Colan but no Kirby :wishluck:

Incredible Hulk #228 (Sal Buscema/McLeod. 3 pages :applause:

Strange Tales #168 (Dan Adkins) Need the page 1 splash to finish Dr. Strange story :wishluck:

Amazing Spiderman #172 Andru/Giacoia Yeah, the stupid Rocket Racer issue, first Spidey book I had. I'd like one panel page. Just one. doh!

a motley assortment, to say the least, and I've certainly coveted/collected a lot more art than this but I'd truly be happy if I had just this stuff, and if I got a representative page from each, I'd really stop looking (and spending) and just let my CAF alerts and searches tell me if a page from my list pops up now and then. All the other art is negotiable as to whether I hang on to it, sell it, or trade it. You simply can't have everything, and the less I have, the more I appreciate it. hm

This is a tough one. I know that for myself I really can't predict what I'll be thinking more than 5 years ahead. I change my mind less now that I did in my twenties/thirties, but I still do. There's not realistic way for me to say where I'll be re: OA in 15, 25, 35 years.

However, like Scott W. I have most of what I want in general and only seek very specific pieces right now so am acquiring very little on a yearly basis. My days of grabbing anything "attractive" (image and price) are over. I only get those pieces that truly speak to me and will hang on the wall.

I'll get at least one original a year for the forseable future...

If you're single or alone without heirs and had a terrminal situation... no time to build a website to sell the art... no energy to auction it off... WHAT DO YOU DO OR WANT TO DO WITH YOUR ORIGINAL ART IF ULTIMATELY NOBODY ELSE IN YOUR LIFE BUT YOURSELF CARES ABOUT IT?

Or..even better...what would happen if you were in a coma or similarly out of it and not able to direct your peeps how/when/what to do with your collection to pay for necessary medical treatments not covered by insurance, etc? In other words the exact nature of the sales would directly benefit your survival but you wouldn't be able to control it!

This is actually a scary scenario because your life depends upon the liquidation or some/all at good prices, requiring knowledge of the art, timing, and knowledge of the best venue for each piece. Nobody in my life is able to do that as they don't share the passion.

For those that worry about such things, maybe along with a will and other important docs (home/car titles, power of attorney in case of incapitation, etc.) should be a legal direction of how to settle your art/collectibles collection - at least in broad strokes. Excel spreadsheet of all pieces with columns showing inventory numbers and place of storage (wall, Itoya #3, under the bed), price paid, est. current value, best sales venue (consign/sell to dealer, eBay, Heritage, CLink, etc.)???

For myself, I put down until the day I die, but if I think about it some more, I may be wrong. Here is the problem I see for myself. I don't particularly care for any of the new artist right now. This means I only buy older pages. As this material continues to go up in price and gets harder to find, I may be forced to stop buying art ...

You get older, maybe get married and have kids. Things change, priorities change. Right now, in my mid-'40s, I'm semi-retired. I dabble, buy and sell things here and there, and see this continuing for the forseeable future. Like above, I'm priced out of nostalgia art, and with three little ones, I just can't justify the capital outlay anymore.

You get older, maybe get married and have kids. Things change, priorities change. Right now, in my mid-'40s, I'm semi-retired. I dabble, buy and sell things here and there, and see this continuing for the forseeable future. Like above, I'm priced out of nostalgia art, and with three little ones, I just can't justify the capital outlay anymore.

Well said. No amount of art, regardless how spectacular, will ever come close to matching a smile or a hug from your child. ^^

For me, original art is a fun luxury, not a necessity (though some collectors would have you believe otherwise). Also, I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the collection, albiet small, that I've amassed over the years, and if I'd be just fine if I never picked up another piece of art.

Also, I've begun to move away from comic/nostalgia art to other forms of art. As has been noted on other threads, it's amazing the kind of "fine" or illustration art you can buy for equivalent, if not less than, comic art.

Addressing another tangent, my kids, so far, have absolutely not interest in comics, so I have no one to pass the art onto, so that retionalization for collecting art is gone. Along those lines, assuming I live to a ripe old age, who would my heir sell the nostalgia art to?

For me, original art is a fun luxury, not a necessity (though some collectors would have you believe otherwise). Also, I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the collection, albiet small, that I've amassed over the years, and if I'd be just fine if I never picked up another piece of art.

Also, I've begun to move away from comic/nostalgia art to other forms of art. As has been noted on other threads, it's amazing the kind of "fine" or illustration art you can buy for equivalent, if not less than, comic art.

Addressing another tangent, my kids, so far, have absolutely not interest in comics, so I have no one to pass the art onto, so that retionalization for collecting art is gone. Along those lines, assuming I live to a ripe old age, who would my heir sell the nostalgia art to?

All good points (as we've discussed in chats), but I think you're really dismissing OA as a whole as "nostalgia art". Sure, nostalgia is a key component in our collecting. I just think a lot of comic art transcends nostalgia, though. Anyway, if you're really worried about it, I'll take that worthless "nostalgia art" off your hands so your heir won't be bothered with it. lol

For that matter, modern "fine" or illustration art, devoid of context, are simply pretty pictures. And pretty pictures get drawn every day. Will this be any easier for your heir to sell?

Not saying you're wrong or I'm right...time will tell.

I'm by no way saying that one is better than the other. It's more an issue of my interests diversifying, and perhaps moving in another direction.

Re nostalgia, I'll argue the really big money is in nostalgia--the value of modern comic art pales in comparison to the stuff from the '60s and '70s. And as has been mentioned previously, the whole concept of comic art and nostalgia is being skewed given the fact the the typical comic book reader is in their 30s and 40s rather than tweens and teens as when we were kids.

All good points (as we've discussed in chats), but I think you're really dismissing OA as a whole as "nostalgia art". Sure, nostalgia is a key component in our collecting. I just think a lot of comic art transcends nostalgia, though. Anyway, if you're really worried about it, I'll take that worthless "nostalgia art" off your hands so your heir won't be bothered with it. lol

For that matter, modern "fine" or illustration art, devoid of context, are simply pretty pictures. And pretty pictures get drawn every day. Will this be any easier for your heir to sell?

Not saying you're wrong or I'm right...time will tell.

I have no idea. Right now, I'm totally immersed in the hobby, so it's hard to imagine anything else. But I leave open the possibility that my interests/priorities may change down the road...I just don't know if/when that will happen. Outside of a financial emergency, I don't think it will be anytime soon (5-10 years).

As a side note, how many senior citizens are there in the hobby who are active collectors? Granted, this is a relatively new hobby. 20 years from now, will sketch lines be filled with old guys looking for AH to draw them Wonder Woman? :insane:

I looked over my watch list on CAF. These are all guys who have the same general OA interests as I do. When I arrange it by size/quality of collections, the tip-top tier would include the mega-collectors like Dave Mandel, Eric Roberts, Albert Moy, Jim Halperin. Then there are the lower tiers. I can see a reshuffling of the lower tiers in the next few years as some people continue to grow their collections and some people shrink. There will also be new names I'm sure...but I don't see any current players breaking into the top rank these days. The hobby is just too expensive. If anyone makes it to the top tier, it will be new money.

Anyhow, there are 100+ galleries on my watch list. Knowing these guys, and how obsessed they all are about OA, I can't imagine any of them quitting/cashing out in the near future. Not that that has any bearing on what I eventually do. I just believe the hobby will chug along for a while longer, with or without me.

I have no idea. Right now, I'm totally immersed in the hobby, so it's hard to imagine anything else. But I leave open the possibility that my interests/priorities may change down the road...I just don't know if/when that will happen. Outside of a financial emergency, I don't think it will be anytime soon (5-10 years).

College tuition :eek:

Re nostalgia, I'll argue the really big money is in nostalgia--the value of modern comic art pales in comparison to the stuff from the '60s and '70s.

70's, I'll give you. But 60's? How many current collectors grew up in the 60's and bought the comics off the stands? Their reasons for buying 60's art can't be nostalgia.

And as has been mentioned previously, the whole concept of comic art and nostalgia is being skewed given the fact the the typical comic book reader is in their 30s and 40s rather than tweens and teens as when we were kids.

I won't argue that nostalgia plays no part in the OA hobby...just maybe not as much as you think. There's big money (five figures) being spent on new art that has nothing to do with nostalgia. Of course, the viability of that market is another topic entirely :o

Also, I know a lot of 30-ish collectors who are new to comics and OA...they did not discover comics until recently. Yet, they are seeking out the same "nostalgia art". For them, it's not about nostalgia, they're simply drawn to quality.

Having said all that, there may be a day of reckoning in the future as we all reach retirement age and/or start croaking. Hopefully, that won't be for a while yet...I just want to enjoy this HOBBY while I can.