• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: When (if ever) will you retire from actively collecting OA?

At what age do you see yourself retiring from actively collecting original comic book artwork?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. At what age do you see yourself retiring from actively collecting original comic book artwork?

41 posts in this topic

I have no idea. Right now, I'm totally immersed in the hobby, so it's hard to imagine anything else. But I leave open the possibility that my interests/priorities may change down the road...I just don't know if/when that will happen. Outside of a financial emergency, I don't think it will be anytime soon (5-10 years).

College tuition :eek:

529 Plan, baby (thumbs u

Plus...only one kid to worry about. :grin:

70's, I'll give you. But 60's? How many current collectors grew up in the 60's and bought the comics off the stands? Their reasons for buying 60's art can't be nostalgia.

I'll site one example. When I interview Dave for that LA Times article (see other thread), he specifically said that when he was kid, he used to read treasury editions and reprint comic featuring stuff from the '60s. Also, I'm not buying the quality arguement--there's a whole lot of badly drawing nostalgia art that sells for big money.

Hi All,

I’m new here. Some of you may recognize me from the comicart-l list. I’ve been a spectator of this forum for a couple months and enjoy reading some of the thought-provoking discussions here. The arguments with OA Gentleman (or whatever his name was) were particularly entertaining.

But in regards to this question of retirement, I’ll be honest and say this topic is something that I’ve thought about everyday for the last couple weeks.

I’m still in my 20’s. My generation grew up on Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell, McFarlane, Michael Turner, and other artists from the 90’s. In the past year or two, I have acquired a satisfactory piece from just about every artist I loved back then as well as from current rising stars. But, as enjoyable as this hobby is, the financial aspect of it is very draining. I think I might have been better off financially if I was addicted to acid instead of art. Seriously, it’s like I went throughout college as a poor student but my lifestyle still hasn’t significantly improved even after starting a career and earning a decent income. I feel like a teenager with an art gallery but still drives a Honda Accord.

I’m trying to convince myself to stop acquiring new art after I acquire two certain cover pieces in the near future (I’m still waiting for them to hit the market). I enjoy the hobby very much, love talking to artists, and meet very friendly fellow collectors, but I’m not rich enough to bear the expensive nature of art collecting without sacrifice. Maybe down the road, I’ll buy art again, but right now, I’ll admit that I have an uncontrollable addiction to this hobby.

Obviously, I voted for below age 30. Luckily, I was able to acquire an Adam Hughes before retirement comes. I’m going to try to keep 30-50 pieces and sell the rest. This is just my goal. Whether I have the balls to do it is another question.

Best,

Larry

70's, I'll give you. But 60's? How many current collectors grew up in the 60's and bought the comics off the stands? Their reasons for buying 60's art can't be nostalgia.

I'll site one example. When I interview Dave for that LA Times article (see other thread), he specifically said that when he was kid, he used to read treasury editions and reprint comic featuring stuff from the '60s. Also, I'm not buying the quality arguement--there's a whole lot of badly drawing nostalgia art that sells for big money.

Thanks for that one example meh:baiting: If that's all it takes, then I'm a guy who didn't read many of those 60's comics as a kid, but still have appreciation for them now. As for "quality", I'm talking about where the work places in comics history...which may or may not have anything to do with the art itself.

Anyway, we all know that badly drawn art sells for big money all the time, regardless of nostalgia. Just look at Bill Ward.

:baiting:

:jokealert:

Gene, I'm hoping you retire sooner than later to give us other Vampi collectors a chance! :baiting:

:foryou:

lol

Truth be told, I would love to see more Warren/Vampirella art get dispersed into other collections and for more people to start seriously collecting this artwork. In my opinion, there is currently not enough new collectors and new money entering this segment to support a healthy and liquid market for Warren artwork going forward. As far as I can tell, the most active buyers of Warren Vampirella art over the past few years have been me (still in my 30s) and another friend of mine in the hobby who is in his early-to-mid-40s. Now, there are a number of other people out there who have impressive collections/holdings of this material, but, to the best of my knowledge, they are mostly in their late 40s at least, if not in their 50s. While I know that all of these individuals are still active in the OA hobby, on balance, to the extent they are actively transacting, they appear to be selling more than they are buying. :whistle:

I think part of this is due to price/cost and part of it is due to age. Fast forward 15-20 years and I think a lot of people here in their 30s and 40s will have different priorities, if not interests. I suspect that many of those who stay in the hobby from now to that time will be spending less time and money on it. I know it's a small sample size, but looking at the current crop of Vampirella art collectors, I suspect it will look somewhat similar for the hobby overall - the guys in their 30s through mid-40s in 15-20 years will be the active buyers while those of us who will be in our 50s or older by that time will own impressive collections but will not be the active buyers and will be doing more selling on balance. Of course, the question then arises, "How many of today's teens, pre-teens and 20-somethings will be tomorrow's 30 and 40-something buyers in 15-20 years?" (shrug)

Good question, Gene. No doubt, there is a lot of niche art in this hobby that will become more obscure with each passing year. I know, I've got a lot of it. So do a lot of other collectors. Some things I buy, I know I have a decent shot of getting my money back if I have to. Other things, I know I have no chance. In the end, it's a hobby. I just want a collection I'll enjoy. That's what it's all about, right?

Thanks for that one example meh:baiting: If that's all it takes, then I'm a guy who didn't read many of those 60's comics as a kid, but still have appreciation for them now. As for "quality", I'm talking about where the work places in comics history...which may or may not have anything to do with the art itself.

Hi, Felix;

I think we're approximately the same age and although we didn't grow up in the 60's, we still had plenty of cheap, affordable reprint material available to us such as Marvel Tales, Marvel's Greatest Comics, Amazing Adventures v2, etc. Lots of opportunities to purchase the 60s stuff from your local convenience store and comic shop.

Furthermore, if you were into comics, and a completist, then you would most certainly become familiar with Romita, Ditko, Swan, Infantino, etc just by the nature of your collection. I certainly didn't have to live in the 1960s to be nostalgic for the comics nor the art...I just need enough of an appreciation of it to collect it.

I think about leaving every day. I am thinking about leaving today...though I am sure I will never completely leave. In fact, I just purchased a piece a couple weeks ago (my first in a couple months). I am sure I will always have a keen interest in the hobby, but I am not sure how much longer I will be an active collector. In fact, I'm not sure I would even consider myself active anymore. Further more, with the exception of a few pieces and with the previous NFS posts... I've decided to price nearly all of my art. There was a site (I can't remember the name of) where the person priced almost all of his art, but priced it accordingly to how bad he wanted to keep it. I am going to do the same. With the exception of a few personal pieces (art from artists I know and have established a quasi friendship with) I am going to put prices on all of my art. They are going to be priced according to how badly I want to get rid of them (I am not dieing to sell any of them really). Some of the prices may seem outrageous to you, but that means I really don't want to sell... ANyway, this is more "FOR SALE" area talk which I will post in the proper section... but I am just posting here to say... Yeah, I can see myself "retiring" from being an active collector (perhaps sooner than later) but I think I will always dabble. Like most, it will depend on cash flow. There are a few pieces out there I won't be able to resist to throw my hat into the ring for...

Also, I know a lot of 30-ish collectors who are new to comics and OA...they did not discover comics until recently

I most defintely fall into this category. I was 32 when I "discovered" comics. Until then, I had no use for them....That was 10 yrs ago and I am still just as obsessed so who knows where I'll be 10 years from now. At the same time, I LOVE the stuff that I have no attachement to....The Ditko, Kirby and even alot of the Golden Age stuff is just amazing ! - As Felix said, one doesn't have to have nostaglia for it to appreciate it...or want to aquire it.

Also, I know a lot of 30-ish collectors who are new to comics and OA...they did not discover comics until recently

I most defintely fall into this category. I was 32 when I "discovered" comics. Until then, I had no use for them....That was 10 yrs ago and I am still just as obsessed so who knows where I'll be 10 years from now. At the same time, I LOVE the stuff that I have no attachement to....The Ditko, Kirby and even alot of the Golden Age stuff is just amazing ! - As Felix said, one doesn't have to have nostaglia for it to appreciate it...or want to aquire it.

That's exactly right. I never once owned a golden age comic until a few years ago and never in my life would I think that I'd start collecting pulps.

I think it's kinda like people that collect anything vintage. They don't have to have a personal attachment to it, only a desire to own it.

Despite what I've marked (65-69), I doubt that I'll step away from the hobby. Why would I? I enjoy this more than I've enjoyed any of my other distractions over the years (stamps, coins, comics -- and, now, writing). There are good people here and, besides, they're interesting people. You've got to have a screw or two loose to collect comic book artwork during a recession. You guys are my kind of folks.

A few years ago, I was amazed to discover that someone could collect original comic art. Then I was amazed to find out that even I could afford some of it; maybe not the Kirby or Ditko wonders of the world but pieces that still meant something to me. I discover new and terrific comic artists every month. It's wonderful.

This week, I received my Christmas present for this year, a comic cover that I've wanted for the last two and a half years. Who knew that it would suddenly appear on a dealer's site that, until now, I rarely visited? (It was posted on 09/09/09 and put on hold for me on the same day.) My wife gave me a peek at the artwork before it vanished into the safe. I get to have it and enjoy it on December 25th.

Currently, my small collection consists of covers and splashes. When I can't afford those, I'll collect panel pages. When I can't afford those? Well, that's when I figured I'd be between 65 - 69 years old. But even if I'm not buying, I hope to still be enjoying OA.

Gene -

This is a great thread. I also like the fact that you and Hari are conducting polls to create some transparency in and get a feel for the pulse of our little hobby.

Like the other collectors, it seems likely that my activity in this hobby likely will wax and wane based on a number of factors in no particular order:

(a) shift in priorities,

(b) availability of pieces that I would like to acquire,

© being satisfied with the pieces I have been fortunate enough to acquire,

(d) general OA market pricing,

(e) dealing with other curveballs life throws at you, and

(f) "black line fever," which currently strikes one or more times a year.

The most vague category to me is (b), because everything is available for a price, and thus, "availability" depends on an individual's approach to collecting (e.g.: if you are willing to commit enough, ostensibly, everything is available). However, for the purposes of this list, "availability" can be read to mean pieces being sold or offered for sale at prices in the ballpark of my own best guesstimate of the piece's market value.

As for retiring from the hobby entirely, I've no plans to do so, and haven't really thought about it. I certainly haven't thought about it happening when I turn 50 or 60, etc. So, I don't know when or if that will happen, but since there is no "I don't know" button on your poll, I did not vote. But if you have that as a category, put me in it.

Regardless, I am in agreement with Hari and others that I anticipate enjoying original comic art for many many many years to come.

Best regards.

- Artemis

Fun post, Artemis.

The most vague category to me is (b), because everything is available for a price, and thus, "availability" depends on an individual's approach to collecting (e.g.: if you are willing to commit enough, ostensibly, everything is available).

I'm so glad that isn't true.

So much comic artwork out there isn't available -- because those pieces aren't on CAF, have never made it to a dealer site, have never been offered in an auction, have seemingly disappeared. I'll agree that almost every piece I'd like to own is probably somewhere but where?

In the "Collecting Goals for 2009" post, offered as a new topic in December of 2008, I wrote that I'd like an original cover by S. Clarke Hawbaker. Hawbaker doesn't have a big fan base. I wanted one of his Malibu covers (and collectors for those? I'm guessing there's probably less than eight of us). I still haven't found one. I put up a WTB post for Hawbaker. No one responded.

If everything was available for a price, this hobby would be less interesting. Finding a Ghost (i.e., missing, buried, hidden treasure) is a joy.

Hal -

While I understand what you are saying -- and I agree that work by obscure artists, or those with a small fan base is hard to acquire -- if it exists, and you offer the right price, I'm thinking it would be available.

Also, for someone like Hawbaker (with whom I am admittedly unfamiliar), putting out a wanted to buy post may not be the best means of reaching people with the information you want.

Maybe you could find out people who used to work at Malibu on the internet, e-mail them see if they know where he is, and then try to contact him (or one of his inkers), see if they have any of the covers and try to buy them. If they didn't keep the art, then maybe they remember to whom they sold it, or where. More work, but it might help you get a lead or something.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

- Artemis

Wow, this is a great thread.

Too many variables but I'll give what I think is a reasonable answer.

I chose 55-60 for stopping actively collecting OA. The only reason is that I think as I near retirement my priorities will change and that by that time I hope I have a collection that I'm so satisfied with that I don't feel the need to keep chasing art.

That said, I'm not going to say I'll never buy another piece. Right now I acquire about 1 piece a year. Partly due to the rising prices, and partly because I am very focused on a couple specific pages (well, 3 to be exact, all from FF 40 -- see my CAF page for details). I've half-heartedly put bids in on some pieces recently but with the economy the way it is, I'm not going to drop big money on anything unless it really speaks to me, and I have become increasingly picky and selective in my old age. So I can see myself still keeping tabs on the market and auctions and maybe buying a piece if something really good comes to market of if somebody dies and their quivering grieving spouse is unloading their collection for a song. (that by the way is just a morbid joke).

The bigger question for me is if at some point I'll simply lose interest and sell the whole shootin' match. Of course now I don't think that's likely, but 20 years ago I thought that about my comics collection and I sold it (twice) to buy property. So never, say never.

I plan to keep my art forever, otherwise. I don't have any kids and my nieces and nephews have no interest in comics, so I'm guessing I'll donate it to a museum or my widow can buy a condo in Hawaii when I croak. Aloha baby! Come to think of it, my food is starting to taste funny, I probably shouldn't have told the missus about that last plan. lol

--Steve

I checked off the 45-49 box as I foresee spending on comic art at this pace for another decade or so. But depending on whether my offsprings take interest in this hobby, this can prolong my enthusiasm as well. So far, my children seem to be interested in comic books, and if they continue to appreciate the comics and OA, then this is a hobby that I can see actively participating with them until old age. On the other hand, if my children lose interest in comics, then I plan to keep what I have, look for one or two centerpiece pieces, and then become much less active in the hobby.

Great poll and discussion!

My OA collecting-- like other hobbies I've enjoyed-- started with a "Wow!" followed by rapidly increasing "activity" (measured by spending time/money/emotion) as I am now building my collection, moderating whenever my available funds decline and/or other priorities begin to conflict, and eventually declining when the hobby provides less enjoyment/satisfaction. In business, this Intro-Growth-Maturity-Decline progression is called the 'product life cycle' which might explain alot about how my OA collecting might evolve:

product_life_cycle.gif

Like many, I began collecting OA in the past 5-6 years and currently in Growth phase celebrating :banana: every acquisition, actively building my collection and relishing the buzz in hunting for, acquiring and owning these treasures while staying true to my budget. I truly envy those 'seasoned' collectors with jaw-dropping grail pages and their tales of buying Miller and Byrne pages for $50 way back when. If only... :cloud9:

Eventually, when my collection peaks and the hobby 'buzz' loses a bit of intensity ("decent Watchmen bro'... :cool:"), I'll enter the Mature phase. I'll stop actively acquiring (except for a few 'must haves' and trading) since I'll probably think prices are too high compared to years past. In today's market, many dealers and established collectors are already here, having built solid core collections and have moderated their purchases except for opportunistic buying/selling ("please inquire") or selective trading ("trade only"). I'm already here in GA comics and, if fortune shines, my OA hobby will reach this phase in 8-10 years.

Finally, when the OA 'buzz' wanes for me meh , I'll plan on selling most of my OA so that other/newer collectors can enjoy and appreciate these works of art... keeping those 4-5 trophy pages that will adorn my beach villa in retirement.

...or maybe not.

Dino

I am just starting out with OA now (covers and splashes only) and don't really see myself ever stopping. I have tried to get out of comics several times, but a month or so after selling almost everything off I get the bug and start all over. I expect to do the same with OA now as well.