• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albedo Volume 1, NR2

201 posts in this topic

Jesus, this is pathetic. We need to get one of the graders to read this thread :/

You buy that Albedo 1 on ebay circa 2003/4 for about $150? Looks like my old copy with the couple spine cracks and the bottom right corner crease.

Jesus, this is pathetic. We need to get one of the graders to read this thread :/

You buy that Albedo 1 on ebay circa 2003/4 for about $150? Looks like my old copy with the couple spine cracks and the bottom right corner crease.

That'd be kinda creepy, wouldn't it...? ;)

No, I got my Albedo #1 last year. $45. :cloud9:

It's only a F/VF (by my standards), but hey, it's a copy.

It's possible that the person/people I bought it from bought yours, though, but I doubt it unless that person sold it to someone else. Do you still have the pic? I'd be happy to scan mine and compare.

I'm the guy who buys nothing unless it's a screaming deal and/or, I'm never likely to see one again. That's why I paid $130 for my Vengeance of Vampirella #1 Royal Blue, and bid the one that showed up this last summer to $156.

Believe you me, if you'd told me in 1999 that I would pay $130 for a 1994 comic, I'd have laughed myself silly.

The one on the left is the third printing. It had a slightly lighter color than the 1st and 2nd printings. The second and third printings also had no price on the cover in the upper right corner. That's an easy way to tell if they are first printings from the outside.

Here are pictures of the mislabeled second and third print #0s:

IMG_2130.jpg

Which one's which? I dunno anymore. ;)

The one on the left is the third printing. It had a slightly lighter color than the 1st and 2nd printings. The second and third printings also had no price on the cover in the upper right corner. That's an easy way to tell if they are first printings from the outside.

Here are pictures of the mislabeled second and third print #0s:

IMG_2130.jpg

Which one's which? I dunno anymore. ;)

I actually have raw other second and third prints, and know about the slight color difference, so I could have figured out which was which.

HOWEVER....I did NOT know that about the first print blue (cover price), but now that I look at a pic, there it is, right there. $1.50. I missed...because I'm an idjit...the white and first print blue that were up for auction last month. Sigh.

Very nice. Thanks!

Something you also probably didn't realize... the blue first printing has a cover price of $1.50 while the white first printing had a cover price of only $.50. You have to wonder if it was a printing error or if Gallacci raised the price when he printed the blue edition. If that's the case, then is the blue first printing really a first printing?

HOWEVER....I did NOT know that about the first print blue (cover price), but now that I look at a pic, there it is, right there. $1.50.

Can you Copper Wizards here give me any background on this book.

I have the opportunity to buy a VF+ to VF/NM copy that I had in my hands the other day. I havent been given a price on it yet.

I realized this book is very hard to find what I am not quite clear on is the 500 copies the black cover? and the red cover the 1500 copies version?

I had the black cover in my hands and I thought it was the 1st print, but I wasnt

100% sure. Anyone care to give me a value on this book and what I should pay for it in the above grade.

Original thread poster coming back for a recap.

So the book I looked at my LCS the owner decided to go ahead and slabbed the book. Now I thought it was an 8.5 to 9.0 as it had some minor corner blunting and 3 spine ticks on the front and back covers.

Here is what floored me. The book came back 9.6. :o I held it in my hands today and could still see the spine ticks on both sides of the covers I counted 6 and might be more if I looked very close. :o Do they really give this book that much of a lift? LCS wants around $1200 or so for it now slabbed.

How many are in the registry that high? I just cant get over how high that book graded with the obvious defects. I dont consider myself an expert in grading, but man those spine marks are completely obvious. If I can find my old pictures of the book unslabbed I will post them I sent them all to another boardie who was looking for one at the time.

Can you Copper Wizards here give me any background on this book.

I have the opportunity to buy a VF+ to VF/NM copy that I had in my hands the other day. I havent been given a price on it yet.

I realized this book is very hard to find what I am not quite clear on is the 500 copies the black cover? and the red cover the 1500 copies version?

I had the black cover in my hands and I thought it was the 1st print, but I wasnt

100% sure. Anyone care to give me a value on this book and what I should pay for it in the above grade.

Original thread poster coming back for a recap.

So the book I looked at my LCS the owner decided to go ahead and slabbed the book. Now I thought it was an 8.5 to 9.0 as it had some minor corner blunting and 3 spine ticks on the front and back covers.

Here is what floored me. The book came back 9.6. :o I held it in my hands today and could still see the spine ticks on both sides of the covers I counted 6 and might be more if I looked very close. :o Do they really give this book that much of a lift? LCS wants around $1200 or so for it now slabbed.

How many are in the registry that high? I just cant get over how high that book graded with the obvious defects. I dont consider myself an expert in grading, but man those spine marks are completely obvious. If I can find my old pictures of the book unslabbed I will post them I sent them all to another boardie who was looking for one at the time.

I've personally submitted 3 or 4 copies of this book. All of them came back higher than expected. I don't know if its the fact that the book had high production values that gives it the bump, or what... but it does seem to get a bump, consistently.

I've personally submitted 3 or 4 copies of this book. All of them came back higher than expected. I don't know if its the fact that the book had high production values that gives it the bump, or what... but it does seem to get a bump, consistently.

Including the 9.8 that sold for $5K, didn't you?

the 9.8 is a gorgeous book but my pregrade was lower

Seriously? You didn't agree with the grade?

I wouldn't want to be the person then paying $5K for "one of the best copies out there" and then seeing something that would make me wonder why a 9.8 was given to this book.

:eek:

By the by, apparently Mile High had two copies of this book in "VG" (which could be anything from Fair to VF), for about $250 each. I got one for $238, the other sold on eBay for $257.

We'll see how good they really look.

the 9.8 is a gorgeous book but my pregrade was lower

Seriously? You didn't agree with the grade?

I wouldn't want to be the person then paying $5K for "one of the best copies out there" and then seeing something that would make me wonder why a 9.8 was given to this book.

:eek:

There was a little rubbing / almost like a bindery tear but not a tear, on the back top spine corner. I thought that would keep it out of 9.8 but I guess not. Still, the rest of the book was really sweet. That copy is not the problem... more so the 9.2 I had pregraded at 8.0... etc.

Just a bump on this thread. The book at the begin of this thread I took pictures of the other day. It came back a 9.6, but had 4 spine tics I can see at least. 2 front and 2 back. Will post pics later this weekend when I have time. It was very hard to get a good pic due to lighting in shop.

:popcorn: