• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albedo Volume 1, NR2

201 posts in this topic

Just a bump on this thread. The book at the begin of this thread I took pictures of the other day. It came back a 9.6, but had 4 spine tics I can see at least. 2 front and 2 back. Will post pics later this weekend when I have time. It was very hard to get a good pic due to lighting in shop.

As I've said before (maybe on this thread) I swear they go easy on this book. not sure why. maybe the heavy stock and quality production leads to lots of sharp corners that CGC rewards? not sure

Promised these last weeks. Sorry about poor pics, but lightening in shop made it difficult to get decent pics. Count 4 spine stress cracks think I got 3 of them in pics.

crack3.JPG

crack1.JPG

crack2.JPG

(worship) nice find and hard book to find.

Just curious what the market looks like on this book? GPA's numbers are pretty scare on it which leads me to think there aren't many copies out there floating around. Also curious how the book has *behaved* over the past 10 or so years, i.e. pretty stable or up and down? It was a character I really liked as a kid but really don't know much about the actual book itself in terms of value, availability, etc, etc.

Just curious what the market looks like on this book? GPA's numbers are pretty scare on it which leads me to think there aren't many copies out there floating around. Also curious how the book has *behaved* over the past 10 or so years, i.e. pretty stable or up and down? It was a character I really liked as a kid but really don't know much about the actual book itself in terms of value, availability, etc, etc.
My Grail went for $5,100 and I missed it by $100 in the last minutes on Ebay back in Oct. 2009 and there is another that is a 9.8 SS also but I've never seen it.

Like TMNT or the CROW there is a big cult following of the books and any OA by Stan Sakai. Unlike TMNT or the Crow there is no movies to really hype it up and get younger people into Usagi Yojimbo and Stan Sakai's work. So when a Albedo #2 shows up it for sale on Ebay or Comiclink it will sit there for awhile till it is discovered and sells for the BIN price the seller wants for it. Like TMNT they are hard to find and gets harder to sell because they don't show up for sale in high grades much and people don't know what is a good price to buy them for. It could be a good investment if you can wait to sell when you get one and if you are into Usagi Yojimbo and it doesn't sell for what you want then you can still enjoy owning it. There are always people who are into the TMNT and watched the 1989-90's or 2003-2007 cartoons who might buy the UY books after seeing the old episodes on DVD with their kids or are into the TMNT action figures (have the UY figure) and get their kids into the collecting the old stuff related after they take them to see the new TMNT movie.

Also there was only 2,000 copies printed in the world and people in other countries are into this book and Usagi Yojimbo too.

It's a book that has declined as more copies have come back from CGC in higher grades.

Definitely has dropped in price, but still very much sought after. And there are more high-grade copies of TMNT #1 than there are Albedo 2's in the census.

41 Albedo #2's at 9.2 or greater grade, 69 of TMNT #1's at 9.2 or greater grade.

106765.jpg.6d41b8506d7f34b11db84851115aff47.jpg

106766.jpg.e8cf394b00b2c8da19071cd0332e5bb9.jpg

Percentage wise, there are a lot more high grade Albedo 2's. Of the universe graded, 61% of the Albedo #2's have been graded 9.2 or higher. Only 21.5% of all the Turtles #1's graded have come in 9.2 or higher. Likely because the quality of the printing for Albedo #2 was much better and it was normal sized.

Yes, the print run on the Albedo's was 2/3 of Turtles #1, but if the same amount were graded, you'd definitely have more high grade copies of Albedo #2.

Percentage wise, there are a lot more high grade Albedo 2's. Of the universe graded, 61% of the Albedo #2's have been graded 9.2 or higher. Only 21.5% of all the Turtles #1's graded have come in 9.2 or higher. Likely because the quality of the printing for Albedo #2 was much better and it was normal sized.

Yes, the print run on the Albedo's was 2/3 of Turtles #1, but if the same amount were graded, you'd definitely have more high grade copies of Albedo #2.

I attribute the higher % of HG Albedo #2 to the cover stock; it's pretty thick, so relatively resistant. But, with the black cover, any imperfections definitely show up. On the flip side, the size of TMNT #1 made it difficult to store, so those got banged up more than usual.

I attribute the higher % of HG Albedo #2 to the cover stock; it's pretty thick, so relatively resistant. But, with the black cover, any imperfections definitely show up. On the flip side, the size of TMNT #1 made it difficult to store, so those got banged up more than usual.

I've seen that many times with books that were larger than the average comic and required special storage bags or boxes tall enough to store them.

Plenty of crushed tops on Nexus #1's, TMNT's, Justice Machine #1's, etc.

:eek:

To turn the topic a bit, awhile back there had been some posts about Albedo #0 "Yellow" and speculation that it was simply a printing error. Thanks to these boards, I finally obtained a copy of that book after searching for a copy for almost 25 years. In comparing it to the regular White edition, there is a slight size difference in the book (similar to the different printings of Turtles #1 & 2) which tells me it was actually a different print run altogether and not a printing error as some have speculated.

Anyway, I thought Albedo collectors would want to know as, with only 50 copies in existence, the Albedo #0 "Yellow" is as scarce and even harder to find than Gobbledygooks #1 & 2 (an 40 times as scarce as the Albedo #2).

To turn the topic a bit, awhile back there had been some posts about Albedo #0 "Yellow" and speculation that it was simply a printing error. Thanks to these boards, I finally obtained a copy of that book after searching for a copy for almost 25 years. In comparing it to the regular White edition, there is a slight size difference in the book (similar to the different printings of Turtles #1 & 2) which tells me it was actually a different print run altogether and not a printing error as some have speculated.

Anyway, I thought Albedo collectors would want to know as, with only 50 copies in existence, the Albedo #0 "Yellow" is as scarce and even harder to find than Gobbledygooks #1 & 2 (an 40 times as scarce as the Albedo #2).

hm So that means you will put it on a comic auction site so I can we can all bid for it and get a true value of what one would go for compared to the prices in OSPG... ;)