• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got back from seeing District 9...

123 posts in this topic

I thought the acting was absolutely horrible.

The story had potential, and while it took a long time to get interesting, it did get better.

I thought it fell way short of *good*, however.

Oh yeah, I thought the acting was absolutely horrible.

+1

I lked it too..I wouldn't say the best sci-fi, since Star Trek had no match..I say top two though..it was a hit or miss with a lot of folks. Some people hated the ending, I thought it was pimp.. "I'll be back in 3 years"...

I am an absolute connosieur of science fiction. I loved District 9, but it wasn't as good as Star Trek, which was just one of the best sci-fi movies ever, definitely in the top 50 of all-time and the best Star Trek film yet. :headbang:

I lked it too..I wouldn't say the best sci-fi, since Star Trek had no match..I say top two though..it was a hit or miss with a lot of folks. Some people hated the ending, I thought it was pimp.. "I'll be back in 3 years"...

I am an absolute connosieur of science fiction. I loved District 9, but it wasn't as good as Star Trek, which was just one of the best sci-fi movies ever, definitely in the top 50 of all-time and the best Star Trek film yet. :headbang:

Star Trek was amazing!

It sucked. The star character (goofy guy that is in charge) was just so rediculous and annoying.

The story had potential, but it was not realized. Not even close. It sucked.

I went to the theater with two of my sons and my wife. We all thought it sucked and was a waste of money. The funny thing is, my sons have taste in movies that suck big time, so I am surprised that we all agree that it sucked.

The aliens had access to their weapons and they didn't even attempt much. Even if they were all janitors or cooks on their spaceship (all one and a half million of them), they were from a galaxy far far away, and surely one of their janitors was equal to our President (I could say more here, but I won't), soldiers and pilots. Yet, they run around kissing butt, just to get some cat food and garbage. Silly stuff.

Did I mention that it sucked?

I felt the same way bro, I really liked the end too, when it said what's going on in the world now, when the words came up, like it was actually a true story. Really cool idea!

... But apparently, he turned into an alien in real life whilst making the movie too, there actually wasn't any special fx. :preach: - these faces crack me up, maaan.

District 9 was so well done as far as the special effects are concerned that when I walked out of the theater I expected to see an alien pop it's head around the corner at any time.

It's the first time that has ever happened to me.

Most movies, even the best ones, you can see the blurred line between reality and computer generated graphics...this movie was seamless. For me it was the best special effects I have ever seen in a movie and I consider it a landmark movie for that reason. It really did take things to another level in that regard.

I will take you ALL on. :slapfight:

haha :jokealert:

It sucked. The star character (goofy guy that is in charge) was just so rediculous and annoying.

The story had potential, but it was not realized. Not even close. It sucked.

I went to the theater with two of my sons and my wife. We all thought it sucked and was a waste of money. The funny thing is, my sons have taste in movies that suck big time, so I am surprised that we all agree that it sucked.

The aliens had access to their weapons and they didn't even attempt much. Even if they were all janitors or cooks on their spaceship (all one and a half million of them), they were from a galaxy far far away, and surely one of their janitors was equal to our President (I could say miore here, but I won't), soldiers and pilots. Yet, they run around kissing butt, just to get some cat food and garbage. Silly stuff.

Did I mention that it sucked?

The story had potential, and while it took a long time to get interesting, it did get better.

You talking about District 9 or some other movie. Sheesh you got some high standards. what did you think about Episodes I II III. And dont say they were good or else Im coming to find you.

* Full Disclosure, Ive been drinking

You talking about District 9 or some other movie. Sheesh you got some high standards. what did you think about Episodes I II III. And dont say they were good or else Im coming to find you.

It's not high standards. The acting was atrocious. There's no way you can defend that. It was ridiculous.

The story concept was original and had potential, but it took waaaaaaay too long to get started. That was the second movie I've ever seen in my life that I honestly fought with myself not to get up and walk out. The other being The Wicker Man, which I really wish I had. D9 did get better at the end, but there was nowhere to go but up.

I am a full blooded Star Wars fan. The first movie came out when I was 10 years old. I went to all six episodes on opening day. Stood in line for hours to get tickets to each one.

After Episode IV released, there was an interview with Lucas in Rolling Stone magazine where he told about Obi-Wan almost killing Vader in a volcano. I can remember my group of friends gathered around the mag reading it aloud, in total shock.

When I saw Episode III and Vader was born, I wept like a baby. It was like I had waited my whole life to see that one moment.

Episodes I, II, and III were what they were. They were the prequel to the greatest movie franchise ever made. Both actors that played Anakin were bad. Jar-Jar was horrible. Being a fan to the bone, that has to be overlooked because there's no way to fix it. Those movies are part of the series. Despite the things I mentioned, the movies were epic. The movies, and story, were bigger than the actors in it.

I have no emotional attachment to District 9. It was just a SciFi movie that had huge potential with a very original idea, but was almost unwatchable because of the pace and worst acting ever to grace the screen.

It's not high standards. The acting was atrocious. There's no way you can defend that. It was ridiculous.

The story concept was original and had potential, but it took waaaaaaay too long to get started. That was the second movie I've ever seen in my life that I honestly fought with myself not to get up and walk out. The other being The Wicker Man, which I really wish I had. D9 did get better at the end, but there was nowhere to go but up.

I am a full blooded Star Wars fan. The first movie came out when I was 10 years old. I went to all six episodes on opening day. Stood in line for hours to get tickets to each one.

After Episode IV released, there was an interview with Lucas in Rolling Stone magazine where he told about Obi-Wan almost killing Vader in a volcano. I can remember my group of friends gathered around the mag reading it aloud, in total shock.

When I saw Episode III and Vader was born, I wept like a baby. It was like I had waited my whole life to see that one moment.

Episodes I, II, and III were what they were. They were the prequel to the greatest movie franchise ever made. Both actors that played Anakin were bad. Jar-Jar was horrible. Being a fan to the bone, that has to be overlooked because there's no way to fix it. Those movies are part of the series. Despite the things I mentioned, the movies were epic. The movies, and story, were bigger than the actors in it.

I have no emotional attachment to District 9. It was just a SciFi movie that had huge potential with a very original idea, but was almost unwatchable because of the pace and worst acting ever to grace the screen.

it was !!!! and it wasn't even original...it was a direct rip off 'Alien Nation'.

Its weird the reactions to District 9 no one on the fence on this Movie it seems, you love it or hate it!! I am in the "Love it" camp!

I thought the acting wasnt bad, considering the lead role was played by the childhood friend of the Director and it was his first acting role!

I thought he did an admirable job in the fact that he started off as a Comical person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed Bag Corporate Stooge you love to despise, but then he becomes over time a tragic Figure you feel for, then finally the Hero.

That takes some talent to wrestle all those emotions out of the viewer.

it was !!!! and it wasn't even original...it was a direct rip off 'Alien Nation'.

i begged the wife to go...told her it was probably gonna be the best film of the year...sold it to her by telling her Jackson directed it..."Who?"...'Lord of the Rings"..."ah, OK, lets go!"....for an hour after the film she swore at me...and i deseved it!!! it was bollocks!!!

Its weird the reactions to District 9 no one on the fence on this Movie it seems, you love it or hate it!! I am in the "Love it" camp!

I thought the acting wasnt bad, considering the lead role was played by the childhood friend of the Director and it was his first acting role!

I thought he did an admirable job in the fact that he started off as a Comical person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed Bag Corporate Stooge you love to despise, but then he becomes over time a tragic Figure you feel for, then finally the Hero.

That takes some talent to wrestle all those emotions out of the viewer.

I didn't hate it. It just wasn't good. It took a long time to get me interested in it, and in the end, it wasn't that interesting.

I thought it would have been better since Peter Jackson was the producer, but quickly remembered how badly he up King Kong.

Lord of the Rings was definitely his magnum opus.

Sucks that he kinda shot his wad right off the bat.

I thought the acting was great too.

The movie felt real throughout the entire flick.

Roy, pick something else to defend. The acting was and can't be argued. :roflmao:

Roy, pick something else to defend. The acting was and can't be argued. :roflmao:

:roflmao:

Sorry bro, I loved it more than I thought I would have. Sorry you didn't.

Maybe you had to sit in the passenger seat on the way there?

:baiting:

You're such a tit. :slapfight:

You're such a tit. :slapfight:

lol

:roflmao: which version did you go see??? the acting was poor, at best, the special effects wern't that special by todays standards and the story line was 'borrowed' from a classic idea (i loved alien nation as a kid) i think when we're really looking forward to a new movie we try and defend any shortcomings....I tried too make excuses with the wife when I dragged her to see Phantom Menace, because I wanted it to be what the first three movies were. it a shame, because District 9 could of been so much more.

anyway, think what Jackson could do with 'District 9 # 2" he could have the Aliens come back with death rays and blow up prominant landmarks and the whole world could rally together to defeat them...i don't know, get a big star like Will Smith to play the lead, and see if Bill Pullmans free to play the president.....etc

District 9 was K.R.A.P!!!

:roflmao: which version did you go see??? the acting was poor, at best, the special effects wern't that special by todays standards and the story line was 'borrowed' from a classic idea (i loved alien nation as a kid) i think when we're really looking forward to a new movie we try and defend any shortcomings....I tried too make excuses with the wife when I dragged her to see Phantom Menace, because I wanted it to be what the first three movies were. it a shame, because District 9 could of been so much more.

anyway, think what Jackson could do with 'District 9 # 2" he could have the Aliens come back with death rays and blow up prominant landmarks and the whole world could rally together to defeat them...i don't know, get a big star like Will Smith to play the lead, and see if Bill Pullmans free to play the president.....etc

District 9 was K.R.A.P!!!

I liked the gritty feel. I felt for the guy.

I'm not defending it because I want it to succeed, I just really enjoyed it.

The special effects were not well done in a Star Trek sort of way where everything was fake. I thought that the Alien's looked more real than any other similar sort of effects in other movies. The shadows, their movements...everything. It was done the way I would have envisioned it.

I don't know about Alien Nation because I never got into it but every story is borrowed from another idea.

Listen, people thought Gran Torino rocked and it was great but there was some terrible acting in that movie IMO.

Different strokes. Now relax.