• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got back from seeing District 9...

123 posts in this topic

ahhh, Gran Torrino....how did you know mentioning that film would have a calming effect on me? :cloud9:

Gran Torrino was fantastic in every way possible. Can never go wrong in seeing anything with Clint Eastwood in it. (thumbs u Million Dollar Baby was amazing as well.

ahhh, Gran Torrino....how did you know mentioning that film would have a calming effect on me? :cloud9:

Gran Torrino was fantastic in every way possible. Can never go wrong in seeing anything with Clint Eastwood in it. (thumbs u Million Dollar Baby was amazing as well.

perhaps if jackson cast Eastwood in District 9, going around blowing heads off Aliens with a .44 magnum... hm

perhaps if jackson cast Eastwood in District 9, going around blowing heads off Aliens with a .44 magnum... hm

"make my day, prawn!"

Eastwood is a genius but I thought some of the supporting actors in GT stank.

Maybe I should have watched it while I was hammered too.

:makepoint:

I've not seen Gran Torrino yet. I like Eastwood, so I'm sure it's good.

However, I got suckered into watching The Wrestler which was the biggest piece of I've ever suffered through.

The only redeeming quality was getting to see Marisa Tomei in the raw. She still looks good. :luhv:

I've not seen Gran Torrino yet. I like Eastwood, so I'm sure it's good.

However, I got suckered into watching The Wrestler which was the biggest piece of I've ever suffered through.

The only redeeming quality was getting to see Marisa Tomei in the raw. She still looks good. :luhv:

The Wrestler too was awesome.

Neither District 9 nor the Wrester were "polished" Hollywood movies which might limit their appeal. They were gut wrenching and difficult to watch. Maybe that is why people are so divided. The gamut of emotions that these movies run you through was painful.

The gamut of emotions that these movies run you through was painful.

The only emotion I felt watching The Wrestler was the screwing I took from paying ten bucks for a copy of it, knowing I'll never watch it again.

The only emotion I felt watching The Wrestler was the screwing I took from paying ten bucks for a copy of it, knowing I'll never watch it again.

You're just not the sensitive type, Dice.

I thought the acting was absolutely horrible.

The story had potential, and while it took a long time to get interesting, it did get better.

I thought it fell way short of *good*, however.

Oh yeah, I thought the acting was absolutely horrible.

You talking about District 9 or some other movie. Sheesh you got some high standards. what did you think about Episodes I II III. And dont say they were good or else Im coming to find you.

* Full Disclosure, Ive been drinking

It's not high standards. The acting was atrocious. There's no way you can defend that. It was ridiculous.

The story concept was original and had potential, but it took waaaaaaay too long to get started. That was the second movie I've ever seen in my life that I honestly fought with myself not to get up and walk out. The other being The Wicker Man, which I really wish I had. D9 did get better at the end, but there was nowhere to go but up.

I am a full blooded Star Wars fan. The first movie came out when I was 10 years old. I went to all six episodes on opening day. Stood in line for hours to get tickets to each one.

After Episode IV released, there was an interview with Lucas in Rolling Stone magazine where he told about Obi-Wan almost killing Vader in a volcano. I can remember my group of friends gathered around the mag reading it aloud, in total shock.

When I saw Episode III and Vader was born, I wept like a baby. It was like I had waited my whole life to see that one moment.

Episodes I, II, and III were what they were. They were the prequel to the greatest movie franchise ever made. Both actors that played Anakin were bad. Jar-Jar was horrible. Being a fan to the bone, that has to be overlooked because there's no way to fix it. Those movies are part of the series. Despite the things I mentioned, the movies were epic. The movies, and story, were bigger than the actors in it.

I have no emotional attachment to District 9. It was just a SciFi movie that had huge potential with a very original idea, but was almost unwatchable because of the pace and worst acting ever to grace the screen.

I'm a huge star wars fan myself. I shed a tear in episode three as well. But to say the first three movies were epic, is a stretch. In my opinion they really didn't get going until about halfway through the clone wars...that was when I felt like I was actually watching a star wars movie.

As far as district 9 goes...easily one of the best movies I've seen this year. I could go on with a really long post as to why...but nobody likes to read long posts...oh and the acting wasnt bad by any degree.

I'm very sensitive. That has nothing to do with not liking The Wrestler. The movie was .

I'm very sensitive. That has nothing to do with not liking The Wrestler. The movie was .

No it wasn't.

No it wasn't.

I watched it. Yes. Yes, it was.

No it wasn't.

No it wasn't.

No it wasn't.

No it wasn't.

It was.

No it wasn't.

No it wasn't.

It was.

Bullocks.

Yeah, really weird reactions from people.

I think you put it best broNZILLA, I think I got into it, cuz I thought he was such a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed like you said, but then I suddenly, weirdly, started to take a liking to him, and sure, the movie acting wasn't Al Pacino standard, but I felt it was intended to have a more dry and far-fetched but yet realistic style of acting to keep in theme with the 'docu-film' approach they took.

I love alien things, so I knew from the start of the movie i would enjoy this movie.

Its weird the reactions to District 9 no one on the fence on this Movie it seems, you love it or hate it!! I am in the "Love it" camp!

I thought the acting wasnt bad, considering the lead role was played by the childhood friend of the Director and it was his first acting role!

I thought he did an admirable job in the fact that he started off as a Comical person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed Bag Corporate Stooge you love to despise, but then he becomes over time a tragic Figure you feel for, then finally the Hero.

That takes some talent to wrestle all those emotions out of the viewer.

No it wasn't.

No it wasn't.

It was.

Bullocks.

s2.jpg:luhv: